Thoughts on Mahogany Beach?

luv2cruise2thebeach

We will be stopping at Mahogany Bay on the Carnival Dream for a NYE cruise and were curious what your thoughts are on Mahogany Beach? I have read all about the West Bay beaches, and am not sure we want to spend all of the money to go to one of those after cave tubing in Belize and AI beach day in Cozumel. We just need a nice soft, sandy beach with clear water and the opportunity to purchase drinks. Is the beach rocky in the water or pretty smooth?

We will be stopping at Mahogany Bay on the Carnival Dream for a NYE cruise and were curious what your thoughts are on Mahogany Beach? I have read all about the West Bay beaches, and am not sure we want to spend all of the money to go to one of those after cave tubing in Belize and AI beach day in Cozumel. We just need a nice soft, sandy beach with clear water and the opportunity to purchase drinks. Is the beach rocky in the water or pretty smooth?

Scroll down to the Mahogany Beach pics. Looks like a sandy bottom.

https://www.mahoganybaycc.com/Media-Gallery.aspx

Im sailing to Roatan on the Allure of the Seas. Is it hard to get to this beach from where Royal Caribbean docks? Thank you for any info and sorry for buzzing into this thread.

No you can't go there unless your ship docks there. If there are no ships at Mahogany Bay the port is closed. If there are ships docked there, you might be able to get into the shopping area (same stuff as at Coxen Hole) but you need a ship id to get to the beach.

Im sailing to Roatan on the Allure of the Seas. Is it hard to get to this beach from where Royal Caribbean docks? Thank you for any info and sorry for buzzing into this thread.

No, you don't want to go to Mahogany Bay beach...you want to go to West Bay Beach...

We have been to Mahogany Bay on CCL ships several times and always go to West Bay....never have been to Mahogany Bay beach.

To clarify, Mahogany Bay was built by and belongs to Carnival. Only the passengers on Carnival owned ships are allowed on Mahognay Bay Beach.

Depending on what you want in a beach, West Bay as mentioned above maybe good option.

Ok thank you all for the information. I will look into west bay beaches. Just something low key as I have small kids. I appreciate the help. New to Roatan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know what low key means in this context but the Tabyana Beach break is easy via ship excursion and the beach is all kinds of kid-friendly. Tabyana is part of West Bay.

I meant low key meaning sort of kid friendly. Wasn't sure if there was a lot of partying going on. Might not be suitable for young ones. Good for twenty year olds. I remember those days lol. Thank you for all the input this has been very helpful.

There will be quite a few that put down the beach right there at the pier of Mahogany Bay. In my opinion, it is not a bad beach at all. Quite nice if you compare it to Galveston Beach or something of sorts in the states. Each time we have been in July or August it has clear water where I can see my feet on the bottom. ( Now if it was right after a tropical storm/ hurricane- it is possible it would be brown water as that did happen in the past). The beach sand is soft and yes, they grow grass on the bottom of the water to keep the sand there. Is it West Bay-no. Will there be great snorkeling-no. Is it a cheap alternative that can be fun with the right mindset? Yes.

It is for ships that are Carnival or Princess that docks there. The beach is FREE. The chairs are FREE. And PERFECT when you have small children so when they are cranky, the ship is not more than 7-10 minutes away walking on foot to get back on board to eat or take a nap.

Here are 2 pics that my young daughter took while we were there . No retouching .

The first picture is the 1st beach area where you can rent chairs and such there ( it's kind of hidden) . Most people do not go to this area.

The second picture is in front of the completely free area-showing the sand and clear blue water. There are free white lounge chairs there your family can sit on. First come, first served. Can that be crowded, yes. But again, it is FREE.

Hope this helps in making your decision.

2poz605.jpg

zygg3s.jpg

Ok thank you all for the information. I will look into west bay beaches. Just something low key as I have small kids. I appreciate the help. New to Roatan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It has been a few years now but easiest and most stress free excursion with young kids we have found from Coxen Hole is Maya key. Small ferry leaves for 5 minute ride to key right next to where your ship docks. It can only be purchased through the cruiseline and may seem expensive initially but on Roatan transport is expensive IMO and excursion includes lunch. Nice swimming pool, some beach some animals to visit and room to run and walk around. May depend on age of kids and interests but we found it ideal with under 5 year old.

Edited by c-leg5

• 3 weeks later...

We are just looking for a nice, clean beach that isn't rocky. It doesn't have to be the greatest in the world. Since we are doing AI beach in Cozumel, and Zipline/Cave Tubing in Belize, wanted to do something somewhat inexpensive so we were thinking about just hanging around at the port beach for a relaxing day.