No Food Products Back To Ship

musik07

I just read a review on the Celebrity board from the June 30 Equinox Cruise. The poster said there is a new US law that does not allow any packaged food from Key West back on the ship. Any truth to this? I have a few things i want at the Kermit’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if the review was accurate or not, but if it is, I don't understand why it would be prohibited. Key West is a city in the United States and state of Florida. If you can take pre-packaged food on board a ship in Port Miami, Port Everglades or Cape Canaveral, why couldn't you in Key West? Maybe some one else can give a clear answer to this question. It might just be the ship's policy and not a US regulation.

I just read a review on the Celebrity board from the June 30 Equinox Cruise. The poster said there is a new US law that does not allow any packaged food from Key West back on the ship. Any truth to this? I have a few things i want at the Kermit’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opposite of this is true. One cannot take foods or plants "from" a ship to shore at any US port.

Mike:)

Don't know if the review was accurate or not, but if it is, I don't understand why it would be prohibited. Key West is a city in the United States and state of Florida. If you can take pre-packaged food on board a ship in Port Miami, Port Everglades or Cape Canaveral, why couldn't you in Key West? Maybe some one else can give a clear answer to this question. It might just be the ship's policy and not a US regulation.

This is exactly what I thought. I was thinking that I could get in a car and drive to Key West so why couldn't I take it off by ship? I am only planning on taking a sealed and packaged item. I just don't want to buy it and have it wasted!

Are your bags checked when leaving the ship? If not, how would they know if you took a food product, packaged or not, off?

It's not worth it. Often there are canines present and the penalties are quite severe.

• 11 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:01 AM, bhopal21 said:

Yes once the ship visits a foreign port that necessitates an inspection upon entering the US

So if Key West is our first port of call after we leave our home port, does this still apply? If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested in hearing... otherwise I guess I have some homework to do... DH is diabetic and I always carry snack ashore (most of the time, prepackaged) and I wanted to buy some souvenirs and take onboard to bring home to family, which could include foodstuffs.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, bhopal21 said:

It's not worth it. Often there are canines present and the penalties are quite severe.

Yes there are canines. I got alerted on because I had a bagel in my backpack when we stopped at Grand Cayman once. I didn't realize my niece had put it in there. She put it in there are breakfast to carry it back to her mom in the cabin and apparently forgot to tell me AND forgot about the bagel.  The customs folks in Grand Cayman were very upset about it and threatened to arrest me.  There are very serious about this stuff.   Don't take anything from the ship off with you.  SEALED prepackaged stuff might pass, but just to be safe- just leave foodstuffs behind. 

Fresh agricultural type products are the real concern.  Otherwise, how would they sell all those zillions of rum cakes in the gift shops. 

• Like 1