Dubai and Abu Dhabi and Ramadam

KMR

We are considering a cruise that ends in Dubai on May 4, 2019. We wanted to plan 2 days in Dubai and 2 days in Abu Dhabi after the cruise.

My daughter, who has a friend that lives in Dubai, said that we really wouldn't enjoy our stay at that time. She said that you aren't going to want to go to Dubai in May with the average temp around 100. It's also the start of Ramadan (starts 5/4/19) and it lasts an entire month and everything closes early. Also, fasting is from sunrise to sunset so it might be difficult to get food to eat if you are not fasting.

For those of you who live there, how limited will everything be from May 4th on? Thank you.

It's also the start of Ramadan (starts 5/4/19) and it lasts an entire month and everything closes early. Also, fasting is from sunrise to sunset so it might be difficult to get food to eat if you are not fasting.
You might want to check the date on which Ramadan is expected to begin. I've seen online suggestions that in Dubai it will either be 5 May or 6 May. (Strictly, it depends on the day on which the new moon is sighted by human eye, so in advance you can only expect it to be a particular start date.) In particular, if it's the latter you might get a couple of days of normal life in before the shutters come down. I've never lived in Dubai myself but close family members have, and there are reasons why much of the expat community simply gets out of the place for the whole of Ramadan. They have to put up with the weather for much of the summer anyway, but they don't necessarily have to work with the consequences of the observance of Ramadan, which (IIRC) includes being strongly advised not even to drink water in public during daylight hours.

We are considering a cruise that ends in Dubai on May 4, 2019. We wanted to plan 2 days in Dubai and 2 days in Abu Dhabi after the cruise.

My daughter, who has a friend that lives in Dubai, said that we really wouldn't enjoy our stay at that time. She said that you aren't going to want to go to Dubai in May with the average temp around 100. It's also the start of Ramadan (starts 5/4/19) and it lasts an entire month and everything closes early. Also, fasting is from sunrise to sunset so it might be difficult to get food to eat if you are not fasting.

For those of you who live there, how limited will everything be from May 4th on? Thank you.

In Dubai not very limited, in Abu Dhabi with it being the Federal Capital it may be more so.... In Dubai the restrictions of years past have pretty much been relaxed to the point of being unnoticable and whilst the Muslim population do still fast between sunrise and sunset the majority of food and beverage outlets now operate during daylight hours. The malls etc. are open throughout the day, even the food courts which they just screen the entries to so those not fasting are technically not seen to be eating and drinking ‘publicly’. The only noticable difference to me these days is rush hour moves as school and office hours are reduced during the month - other than that life goes on pretty much as normal, and socially late into the night....

As already noted I think the 4th May would be a little too early - this year Ramadan began on the 17th and it usually only moves 11 days at most from one year to the next.

Anne...

Nothing CLOSES early. On the contrary. Most malls will open a bit later than usual, but will remain open until well after midnight.

Whilst it is still officially forbidden to eat, drink, smoke in public from Sun up to Sun down, hotels will have mostly full service available. Eating places may be screened off and/or have covered windows in order not to tempt fasting Muslims.

This year, for example, the largest mall in Abu Dhabi had their food courts simply screened off, with business as usual behind the screens. The cinema snack bar was also blocked from view with signs " for non Muslims only" . Then you could buy your popcorn, hot dogs and hot nachos, take them past the fasting people into the auditorium and munch away in the dark, sitting next to a Muslim. A bit weird.

As for the temperatures in May. It should be pleasantly warm. Ideal pool or beach weather. Today in Abu Dhabi it went up to 47C. Now that's getting a bit warm...

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel much better now after reading them. I really want to go on that cruise but was so concerned that we would not be able to do any sightseeing or eat all day long.

Thanks again. People on Cruise Critic are the best and always so helpful.

My husband and I were in Dubai last May during Ramadan. Yes, it was very hot and humid, but we dealt with it. As far as closing early, some places closed from 7 to 9 to enjoy Iftar (fast breaking meal)., but then reopened. Many stayed open past midnight. We had no problem finding food and drink. In the Dubai Mall, they had an upstairs closed off area, which had about 25 restaurants open, mainly fast food during the lunch period. As for dinner, you just had to wait until 7:09pm to eat, not 7:08, but 7:09,. Some places did offer take out if you wanted to eat early. Since it was so hot, you would want to carry water. Out of courtesy, we went into restrooms to drink our water. It really was not a problem. Our hotel usually has breakfast on the ground floor, but during Ramadan, the same breakfast was offered upstairs and out of sight. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and are probably on the same cruise that you are talking about. Normally the HO HO Buses offer free water, but during Ramadan they don't.