where is a good place to swim in costa maya

jcprocess

If by decent water you mean clear and clean, my experience has been that Blue Key has the nicest clear water along the Malecon. My wife will only get in the water in two ports (that we have visited so far); Grand Cayman and Blue Key. I really don’t know what you mean by filled in. The water is sand bottom with some rocky areas and goes pretty deep as you wade out, then shallow again like lots of beach areas. We love it there.

• 2 months later...

By "swim" do you mean "ocean swim" as in going for a distance, or do you mean just floating around in the water? Currents aren't bad inside the breakwater but lots of "traffic", if looking for the former. Crowds along the malecon depend upon the number of ships in port. But Blue Kay on the north or Maya Chan on the south would be less crowded. If fact there's a small hotel and a small bar just south of NoHoch Kay that has the same beach and water as the rest of the malecon, but is less crowded as people don't typically venture down that far before stopping somewhere. Can't opine on food, drink or service.

As far as the pool at port goes, think ship's pool but more crowded with kids.

I know exactly what you are talking about jcprocess! I have been going to Costa Maya for over 10 years and the water depth off the beach in Mahahual has significantly changed. It is very very shallow and in some places impassable unless you walk through prickly, itchy sea grass that is growing in the water (Not the floating Sargassum). That entire stretch of beach in Mahahual is shallow. The best section of swimmable water is definitely Blue Kay. Its actually quite nice there. Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
how far is blue kay from the ship

do you take a cab or trolly??

thanks - have never been

carol

Blue Kay is the first beach bar along the malecón, nearest to the port. Take a trolley bus to first stop and walk back, or a taxi from outside the port directly to Blue Kay.