Longtime Nachi Cocom patron making first Mr. Sanchos visit

MisterOJ2

So, unfortunately, I waited too long to book Nachi Cocom for our upcoming cruise in October. They're full the day we'll be there, so for the first time in 8 or 9 trips to Cozumel, we won't be spending a beach day with them.

We've instead made reservations at Mr. Sanchos. In looking at the website, it looks like there is considerably less selection of beers and mixed drinks. The food menu looks similar, but there's also a buffet at Sanchos too? Is that right? And we won't get our own palapa and beach chairs like at Nachi? What will be the other main differences that we'll experience? I'm really hoping it's not too much of a letdown.

You get a table with chairs, sun loungers are first come/first served. More crowded and noisy - but with water toys and other options. My daughters love the place - my wife and I prefer Nachi. Please report back with your impressions and experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to either of these spots, but was hoping someone that has been to either of them recently could share if they felt safe during the transport to and from the cruise terminal. We will have our 4 year old with us, so dont want to leave anything to chance. Thank you in advance for any info!!

I haven't been to either of these spots, but was hoping someone that has been to either of them recently could share if they felt safe during the transport to and from the cruise terminal. We will have our 4 year old with us, so dont want to leave anything to chance. Thank you in advance for any info!!

We've made several taxi cab rides from the cruise terminal to Nachi Cocum (which is probably less than a half mile down the rode from Mr. Sanchos) and never felt unsafe. I think the first time we went, my daughters were 5 and 3 years old. This upcoming cruise they will be 14 and 12. It's always been super easy and completely safe. We were last there in October of last year and it was no different than the first visit.

Welcome to the boards! :D

Taxis are fairly well regulated on Cozumel (especially compared to the crooks in Philly! :mad: ), with fares posted on a board near the cab line for your pier. Expect to pay about $17 each way (fare covers up to 4 in a cab) for the 15 or so minute ride to either Sanchos or Nachi. It never hurts to confirm the fare with the driver BEFORE you get into the taxi. If no cabs are waiting when you are ready to leave, the staff will call one - never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes.

There are 3 cruise ship piers on Cozumel - be sure that you go back to the correct pier (it can be a challenge after 10+ margaritas! :cool: )

If the first cab in line has cut, tied into knots, or non-functioning seat belts I feel free to take the next cab. ;)

We spent 11 days in Cozumel last month and went to three "beach clubs." Depends on what you are looking for. From my adult perspective, we liked Paradise Beach Club the best.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

We went there twice. Has an amazing pool and pool area. And the beach was great with a wonderful array of water trampolines, slides and mountains, etc. There is a $18 entrace fee but they waived it each time when they asked us what our plans were and we said to "eat, drink, and have fun all day." For four adults and kids with each getting a big lunch and lots of beers and virgin frosty drinks for the kids, I think it came to $90 something USD each time.

We also went to the Money Beach Bar. This place is "free" minus the food and drink you will purchase to lay in the chairs on the patio overlooking the ocean and great snorkeling where you wade in from the patio. Very nice spot for adults. I'd rank that #2 and Paradise Beach #1.

#3 was Chankanaab, which is actually a park. That was OK but not great. I thought it was overly-crowded and the pool was kind of gross. But some really like it. That was just about $80 admittance for 4 people with free t-shirts and then food and drink obviously extra. Heavily overtaken with cruise ship passengers and that is a popular excursion.

Just offering some options.

On the subject of taxis, we found many that were fair and some not so fair so asking about a rate is a good idea. We also found for our party of 7 that it was advantageous to take two cars versus one van as it was more the latter. They would usually tell me the fare in USD and then I would promptly ask what it was in pesos and typically, I got a better deal that way. But if just there for a day, I would not worry about that!

BTW, the thing I love about Cozumel, is you can ask a cab driver if he will wait if you pay him extra. We took a taxi from our rented condo to the other side of the island to Coconuts for lunch. It was $70 roundtrip and that included him waiting 2 hours while we ate and walked around and shopped. He just sidled up to the bar and had a beverage and took a walk himself. Can you imagine asking a taxi driver in NY or DC to do that?

We spent 11 days in Cozumel last month and went to three "beach clubs." Depends on what you are looking for. From my adult perspective, we liked Paradise Beach Club the best.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

We went there twice. Has an amazing pool and pool area. And the beach was great with a wonderful array of water trampolines, slides and mountains, etc. There is a $18 entrace fee but they waived it each time when they asked us what our plans were and we said to "eat, drink, and have fun all day." For four adults and kids with each getting a big lunch and lots of beers and virgin frosty drinks for the kids, I think it came to $90 something USD each time.

We also went to the Money Beach Bar. This place is "free" minus the food and drink you will purchase to lay in the chairs on the patio overlooking the ocean and great snorkeling where you wade in from the patio. Very nice spot for adults. I'd rank that #2 and Paradise Beach #1.

#3 was Chankanaab, which is actually a park. That was OK but not great. I thought it was overly-crowded and the pool was kind of gross. But some really like it. That was just about $80 admittance for 4 people with free t-shirts and then food and drink obviously extra. Heavily overtaken with cruise ship passengers and that is a popular excursion.

Just offering some options.

On the subject of taxis, we found many that were fair and some not so fair so asking about a rate is a good idea. We also found for our party of 7 that it was advantageous to take two cars versus one van as it was more the latter. They would usually tell me the fare in USD and then I would promptly ask what it was in pesos and typically, I got a better deal that way. But if just there for a day, I would not worry about that!

I believe the $18 entrance fee quoted included the water toys; if you do not want the water toy option the normal admission fee/chair rental is $3 each.

Should have no worries with the taxis. Been there a few times and never a problem.

Thank you, not to sound like a crazy person, but in light of all of the "illegal immigrant" news I just wasn't sure

Wow. If you feel like this, why leave the country? Or maybe, its a good thing you visit and open your mind to the fact that there are good (and bad) people everywhere. And generally, the good far outnumber the bad.

Ditto. Sticking to the touristy areas and some not so touristy, I never found anyone angered I was an American. They went about their business trying to earn my peso as part of their livelihood. You always need to be on guard in ANY foreign country, just in case. And at home quite frankly in any metro area. But I'd wager some of the European countries, many of the same STEP 2 level as all of Mexico, dislike Americans more so speaking in general terms.