My Cruise on Mediterranea

CASPALL

We arrived in Amsterdam on a Sunday morning. Train from airport to Central Station then started walking to the cruise terminal. We thought there would be a cafe en route where we could stop for a rest but the only cafe we saw was closed. It took us roughly 25 mins to walk to the terminal - would’ve been a far quicker walk if we hadn’t been pulling heavy cases.

The cruise terminal is quite pleasant inside and we were given our number 1 card for boarding as we are Diamante level. A Costa representative told us we would be boarding between 11 and 12 so that was a nice surprise. Not so good that we only started boarding at 12.35! The queue had started a while before this with everyone pushing to get through them when the announcement was made. People with number 5 were trying to get on first and were told to step back but they still blocked the way through.

It was all smooth and easy after that and we immediately went to our cabin to pick up our Costa cards before heading to the restaurant.

We had hoped we would get our meals in the Club restaurant on deck 10 but there were too many Diamante members on board so that restaurant was for suite guests. We were given anytime dining in a room off the main restaurant. It was full of tables for 2 but they were very close together.

The lunch menu had nothing to get excited about (this continued throughout the cruise) so I ordered a fillet steak. Always available were fillet steaks, breaded veal chop, lobster, prawns and Italian ham.

The food on this cruise was probably the worst we have experienced after doing 16 Costa Cruises before this one.

Food was lukewarm most of the time. There seemed to be a shortage of vegetables as we never seemed to get many. The vegetable soup had them all though - it was the tastiest thing I had the whole cruise!

I think I put 4 dinners back that were so disgusting I couldn’t eat them - a chicken leg with an ugly brown coating - pink in the middle, being the worst.

We had a mid ship premium balcony cabin and it was cleaned beautifully by our female cabin steward. We got a pillow menu so we ordered up 2 very comfortable pillows - can’t remember what they were called. I do love the Costa beds as they are so comfortable.

The entertainment on this cruise was pretty poor apart from Pete and the Jetsets who played real music!

Service on Mediterranea was good apart from surly bartenders at the outdoor bar at the back of the ship. It was a struggle to get them to serve you as they just served the rude people who shouted their order first. We felt there were never enough bar waiters on deck.

We do love Mediterranea and this was our fourth cruise on her. The variety of bars is excellent and you can always find a place to sit.

We only went to one show - the crew show. It was very good.

We never met any British people on board but there were a lot of Americans and so many German and French passengers.

Our lifeboat drill was easy. We turned up after the signal went , stood in line for about 3 minutes and they only fid English! How great was that!:D

We disembarked at Marseille , took a taxi to the train station 20 euros, found left luggage and deposited our 2 big cases in a locker for 9.50 euros. We were free to explore Marseille for the day. After walking around and having lunch we then went back to collect our luggage and walked to the other end of the train station to the bus station. Airport bus every 15 mins. I think it was 8.50 each. There only downside was that the bus drops you at terminal 2 at the airport. That’s easyJet, Ryanair etc. We had to walk to terminal 1 in the 30c heat pulling our cases. It took about 5 mins.

All in all it was a very good cruise, but if Mediterranea had a different /better executive chef it could have been a fantastic cruise.

Caryl

Edited by CASPALL
Typo

We are on a cheeky little 3 nighter on Mediterranea in a few weeks time with some newbies, your short review doesn't paint a good picture. Not been on Costa since 2015 and our memories of that last one with them are very good. I can only hope that they get their act together when the ship gets back to the Med. First time on this ship but have always considered here sister Atlantica our favourate in the fleet.

Sorry Wansbrough!

Here’s hoping the executive chef goes on leave - there’s a good chance that could happen. Their contracts are far shorter than waiters and cabin stewards

I’m sure you will enjoy your 3 nights onboard.

Caryl

Sorry Wansbrough!

Here’s hoping the executive chef goes on leave - there’s a good chance that could happen. Their contracts are far shorter than waiters and cabin stewards

I’m sure you will enjoy your 3 nights onboard.

Caryl

I will report back to let you know how we got on. I am really looking forward to getting acquainted with the Costa product again but do have some concerns. I'm going to miss having the priority embarking we enjoyed when we were Pearl members, with Costa it was a nice perk.

Sent from my Samsung S9 using Forums mobile app

I must agree that the menu on board Costa ships now is appalling, although in general the offerings are just about acceptable but very limited, gone are the awesome menu's of the past but then the price is even lower now than in 2000.

You get what you pay for is often quoted, but surely cruising is about great food and company I have written to Costa many times even sending menu's from the past, but the downward spiral continues. If you don't drink you either pay more for a premium cabin or accept what they give you including meal times.

For the first time since 1998 we have not booked a cruise with them for next year.

I agree the old days of fine dining are gone but I have found the same on all ships. Celebrity Royal etc.

I have only sailed on two Costa ships and found the food was really good. Have two more Costa ships booked. I do love pasta so of course that helps LOL

If you go to any cruise line board you will find the same comments regarding the menus and quality. The add on price special restaurants has led to the decline in MDR food. I avoid these unless for a special occasion birthday etc.,

I also avoid buffets on all ships.

Currently on the Magica and no issues with the food. Even with an extremely opinionated vegetarian in tow. We are in the club restaurant. I think the menu is the same as the MDR but great service and any time dining. The ship buzzed last night. We have a sea day tomorrow and plan to book another for November. Loved the Mediterranea in May.

Alicat

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app

Currently on the Magica and no issues with the food. Even with an extremely opinionated vegetarian in tow. We are in the club restaurant. I think the menu is the same as the MDR but great service and any time dining. The ship buzzed last night. We have a sea day tomorrow and plan to book another for November. Loved the Mediterranea in May.

Alicat

It has been very quiet on this board without you Rianna. :D

Is the opinionated vegetarian your daughter? How are the wedding plans?

Hi Maryann

It's my daughter. Fiancé here as well. We had very rough seas yesterday.

Wedding is now just less than a year away. Other than buying the wedding dress currently just looking at stuff. Very hard not to interfere.

I worked very hard the last two months. No time for CC.

Riana

Alicat

I just booked a cruise on the Luminosa for Oct of 2019 what is ur impression of the ship any issues? do i have to learn to speak italian before i go on the cruise. How was the food, entertainment, shore excursions etc any feed back would be appreciated. Thank You and anyone else who has sailed on the Lumionosa

Hi Riana,

Have they re-opened the club restaurant, we have always eaten upstairs in the MDR for suites & Perla Diamante members' love the atmosphere up there you get the buss of the MDR & enjoy selected tables. Last time we were on we had allocated table in the evening but not at lunch.

Not sure what will happen after 'Brexit' so not booking any cruises till we know.

• 3 months later...

I have just remembered that I said that I would let you know how we got on and I have to say the whole experience was very positive. So much so we are considering another later this year.  For us, the prices are the big draw and despite a few cutbacks here and there it is essentially the same product on offer.  The dining experience was as good as we have had anywhere and my wife who is a vegan had her own menu which choices!!!! I don't know of any other line that does that.

We have cruised Celebrity for a few years but they have priced themselves out of our market for the time being. Really loved MSC Seaview and would consider that ship if the itineraries were a bit more varied.

We have just had to cancel a MSC Grand voyage Dubai to Yokohama due to a medical crisis so currently, have a blank year. We will certainly be looking at Costa for some deals later on.