Infinite Verandas - Who Knew?

vtcruising

I was reviewing the Edge FAQs and found these questions answered about the Infinite Veranda (IV). Number 65 is interesting - I had forgotten that the Captain can remotely close your IV window! :D

Question #66 is interesting for those who have kids in an IV.

65. WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE OPERABLE WINDOW? HOW WILL I OPEN IT?

• The window is 2.3m W X 2m H. (7’-6 1/2” Ft W X 6’-6 3/4” H)

• The window is divided into two panels horizontally, with the upper panel lowering outboard in front of the lower panel. The lower panel of the window is fixed at balcony height. The window is electronically operated by the push of a button located near the window and can be closed from the bridge during inclement weather.

66. WILL THE HEIGHT OF THE OPERABLE WINDOW BE RESTRICTIVE TO ENSURE CHILDREN ARE SAFE?

The Infinite window height is the same height as a veranda. We have restricted children from operating the window by placing the button at a child safe height. There is also a child safety lock that can prevent the window from being operated.

The other interesting thing about these rooms is that it appears as if there will not be normal blackout curtains at the bi-fold doors from the cabin to the infinite verandah, there will instead ONLY be an electricly operated blackout shade that can be lowered in front of the infinite verandah when closed. This means that if I get up early and want to sit on the verandah with the glass down and shade up there will be ZERO option to block light into the cabin allowing my travel companion to sleep in. I think this is a HUGE FAIL design wise and hope that they rectify it. If not then I would not ever book an infinite verandah on this ship and instead only do a standard/sunset verandah or oceanview (suites are out of me budget). Really limits ones choice and I think will garner LOTS of complaints!!!!!

The other interesting thing about these rooms is that it appears as if there will not be normal blackout curtains at the bi-fold doors from the cabin to the infinite verandah, there will instead ONLY be an electricly operated blackout shade that can be lowered in front of the infinite verandah when closed. This means that if I get up early and want to sit on the verandah with the glass down and shade up there will be ZERO option to block light into the cabin allowing my travel companion to sleep in. I think this is a HUGE FAIL design wise and hope that they rectify it. If not then I would not ever book an infinite verandah on this ship and instead only do a standard/sunset verandah or oceanview (suites are out of me budget). Really limits ones choice and I think will garner LOTS of complaints!!!!!

I agree that this would be a serious design fail! I’m usually out on the veranda long before DH wakes. I slip behind the drapes to the veranda to avoid awakening him, which would be impossible with the design you describe. UPDATE: DH says he’s not bothered, so I guess we’ll chill and wait for the initial reviews in December....

Edited by Silkroad

I agree that this would be a serious design fail! I’m usually out on the veranda long before DH wakes. I slip behind the drapes to the veranda to avoid awakening him, which would be impossible with the design you describe. UPDATE: DH says he’s not bothered, so I guess we’ll chill and wait for the initial reviews in December....

Tell your DH - that’s the spirit of a true adventurer! [emoji23][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope X is reading this. I also sometimes get up early and quietly go out on the balcony to check my email and read while the DH sleeps on. It seems like it would be easy for them to add something, otherwise some people will be duct taping a sheet to the doorway.

We don't have IV's for the first 3 cruises, but will be anxious to see what others think. :)

Tell your DH - that’s the spirit of a true adventurer! [emoji23][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or the spirit of a person who doesn’t consider her mate’s holiday experience irrelevant. A courtesy, I might add, that he extends to me as well.

Hi tech...electric window shade

Old tech... black out eye mask ( works great on airplanes)..

Guess the techie gurus could not think of everything!

They will probably be selling the eye masks in the gift shop for $50 each. ;)

• Haha 1

I was reviewing the Edge FAQs and found these questions answered about the Infinite Veranda (IV). Number 65 is interesting - I had forgotten that the Captain can remotely close your IV window! :D

Question #66 is interesting for those who have kids in an IV.

65. WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE OPERABLE WINDOW? HOW WILL I OPEN IT?

• The window is 2.3m W X 2m H. (7’-6 1/2” Ft W X 6’-6 3/4” H)

• The window is divided into two panels horizontally, with the upper panel lowering outboard in front of the lower panel. The lower panel of the window is fixed at balcony height. The window is electronically operated by the push of a button located near the window and can be closed from the bridge during inclement weather.

OK so what are the logistics for this? Does the Captain need to make multiple announcements and tell everybody when he/she will close the balcony windows? Is there an over ride by passengers or is the captain's button locked in until further notice?

OK so what are the logistics for this? Does the Captain need to make multiple announcements and tell everybody when he/she will close the balcony windows? Is there an over ride by passengers or is the captain's button locked in until further notice?

I Am sure the Captain's override button will reign supreme with each cabin's window controls in second position at all times.

bon voyage

As Bo said, most likely the bridge has the override. I wonder if it is just for the worst weather, where rain is at risk for blowing into the cabin (since the traditional balcony floors will dry in the sun and the IV balcony floors will need to be mopped up). It does look like the balcony floors are likely water resistant and can be mopped if needed (see picture below).

I am assuming that there is a similar safety mechanism that is on car windows where the window can't go up if someone is leaning out the window. I sometimes lean out in the rain to get a picture so would hate to get surprised by an unannounced raising of the window. :D

enhance

This type situation is why we booked a week's Cruise in April 2019 and a TA in November. We'll have ample time to cancel the longer cruise on the slight chance we don't like the Edge after all. And we won't have to depend on the opinions of others to make that decision.

Well, I guess I will just have to keep booking suites until this gets settled[emoji844] My DH is up and out early and he never bothers me, but IV will just not work for us...that is my excuse and I am sticking to it!!! Although, in retrospect, I may not be able to afford those suite prices that are not so sweet[emoji844]

VT...cannot wait for all your reporting once onboard...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As Bo said, most likely the bridge has the override. I wonder if it is just for the worst weather, where rain is at risk for blowing into the cabin (since the traditional balcony floors will dry in the sun and the IV balcony floors will need to be mopped up). It does look like the balcony floors are likely water resistant and can be mopped if needed (see picture below).

I am assuming that there is a similar safety mechanism that is on car windows where the window can't go up if someone is leaning out the window. I sometimes lean out in the rain to get a picture so would hate to get surprised by an unannounced raising of the window. :D

enhance

Will the overide close the interior doors if they are left open???

Not sure if they are manual or electric...

Will the overide close the interior doors if they are left open???

Not sure if they are manual or electric...

Nothing I have seen shows electronic bifold doors - only manual.

Here is one description:

Infinite Veranda. Balcony is separated from cabin by folding glass doors. A button is used to lower the upper outer balcony glass down into lower balcony railing.

Here is the X you have probably seen before - they close the bifold doors manually:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/accommodations/infinite-verandas/#208018183

I watched another video from a TA so can't post the link, but it also sounded like the bifold doors were manually shut. It shows the window button as on the balcony beside the window. If you Google infinite veranda videos, you can probably find it. The video is of the mock up IV - it is kind of cool because you can see what the ocean view will be like on the balcony and from inside the cabin (has an ocean video playing outside the window) and can see what it would be like to have the bed near the balcony with an IV.

I would think if they had a button for the bifold doors, it would have been demonstrated as they did for the window.

Go to YouTube and do a Celebrity Edge Infinite Balcony search and it’ll show you lots of videos. The ones that show the folding doors being opened/closed shows someone doing it manually, then using the button to lower/raise the window.

Den

I can understand everyone’s displeasure at not having any curtains in the IV staterooms (personally, for sleeping, I like blackout curtains).

IMO, the reason X has chosen to do this is to minimize the number of items needing to be washed/sanitized in case of a Noro outbreak. If you compare the depictions of the Edge IV staterooms to those of the staterooms on other ships in X's fleet there are fewer soft surfaces, such as curtains and wall to wall carpeting (IV staterooms have a hard surface in front of the window). Decreasing the number of items needing to be washed (or replaced) will mean less work for the crew and will save the company money in the long run.

It'll all work out...we got a nice price for AQ class...access to BLU and Persian Gardens( thermal suite) included in the fare .

The bed is by the balc but that's what they had available..We will figure out the room as we go.... still anxious about a cashmere mattress and bedding.

For next EDGE cruise after the AQ one, we have a Sunset Balc so no issue with doors and windows.

I hope X is reading this. I also sometimes get up early and quietly go out on the balcony to check my email and read while the DH sleeps on. It seems like it would be easy for them to add something, otherwise some people will be duct taping a sheet to the doorway.

We don't have IV's for the first 3 cruises, but will be anxious to see what others think. :)

It looks like the folding door has a metal frame so maybe bring onboard a few magnets instead of duct tape to fasten that sheet in place!

I just watched 3 videos after doing a Google search using "infinite veranda videos" in the search window.

If you saw the travel agent (Mike) video, the stateroom looks so much smaller than the promo EDGE video that Celebrity put out featuring the two guys. :(

Although we also have the bed by the balcony, we based our booking on the Celebrity video featuring the two guys. I thought that the bathrooms were supposed to be something like 10% larger. They look smaller than the Solstice class baths. And so do the closets! Little storage, and where does a woman sit and do her hair and make-up? That pull out thing will be a pain. No room to get around bed when open. If kept closed, all make-up, curling iron, etc., has to be placed on the dresser.:confused:

Also, based on the travel agent and the Celebrity Commitment - Celebrity Edge short video - Infinite Balcony walk through videos, it appears that no matter which stateroom configuration you have, the balcony doors open out and take up space on the balcony. Where the Celebrity EDGE video shows the guys opening the door in. That's not what it shows in the Celebrity Commitment video where the bed is by the bathroom. :confused:

I just watched 3 videos after doing a Google search using "infinite veranda videos" in the search window.

If you saw the travel agent (Mike) video, the stateroom looks so much smaller than the promo EDGE video that Celebrity put out featuring the two guys. :(

Although we also have the bed by the balcony, we based our booking on the Celebrity video featuring the two guys. I thought that the bathrooms were supposed to be something like 10% larger. They look smaller than the Solstice class baths. And so do the closets! Little storage, and where does a woman sit and do her hair and make-up? That pull out thing will be a pain. No room to get around bed when open. If kept closed, all make-up, curling iron, etc., has to be placed on the dresser.:confused:

Also, based on the travel agent and the Celebrity Commitment - Celebrity Edge short video - Infinite Balcony walk through videos, it appears that no matter which stateroom configuration you have, the balcony doors open out and take up space on the balcony. Where the Celebrity EDGE video shows the guys opening the door in. That's not what it shows in the Celebrity Commitment video where the bed is by the bathroom. :confused:

I agree that the TA mock up video makes the IV look smaller than the X video with the two guys. It looks smaller than S Class verandas to me. The balcony looks very small as well. Maybe the bigger bed without the rounded corners makes it look smaller? I'm hoping it wasn't built to scale.

The Celebrity Commitment one looks better with the bed by the bath - it doesn't have anyone opening the bifold doors- it makes it look like it happens when you push the button. It did look like the bifold doors can be tucked into the recesses at each side of the balcony out of the way when opened (at the end of the video below):

It looks like the folding door has a metal frame so maybe bring onboard a few magnets instead of duct tape to fasten that sheet in place!

Great idea! We alway pack magnets anyway, so I’m thinking a couple super lightweight survival blankets would do the trick.