Port or Starboard for cruising INTO NOLA?

mafig

We are considering a cruise that leaves from Florida and goes to New Orleans ..... arriving at 6:30 PM.

This is very exciting for us. We will be cruising up the Mississippi in the daytime.:cool::D

Which side would you recommend for the best views from our balcony? Port or Starboard?

Starboard (right).

You will see a lot more of the city as you arrive.

Correct when entering the city. You will see more of the lower river communities(Empire, Venice, Boothville, Buras and Port Sulphur) on the port side coming up.

Correct when entering the city. You will see more of the lower river communities(Empire, Venice, Boothville, Buras and Port Sulphur) on the port side coming up.

I think we'd be more interested in seeing the lower river communities.

We've been to New Orleans before, taken the paddleboat, taken the ferry across the river..... so for us I think Port would be better. What do you think?

I think we'd be more interested in seeing the lower river communities.

We've been to New Orleans before, taken the paddleboat, taken the ferry across the river..... so for us I think Port would be better. What do you think?

If I was doing from my balcony and that part is important, I would do port. When we came in on the CCL Sunshine's transatlantic, we watched it on the highest deck we could find. Being able to look over to the east and west banks was very nice. I've always been fascinated by the delta so having that view was great. I have quite a few friends who grew up in those communities and it was great seeing their hometowns.

Enjoy your trip to Louisiana. We're happy to have you.

• 3 weeks later...

You won't really see much more on either side of the river while coming to New Orleans but you will be docked there for 3 days and usually the ship docks with the starboard side to the dock facing the city,

So you have a choice, you can view the city and a little Mardi Gras action on the starboard side for 3 days or you can view the river and passing ships on the port side for 3 days.

• 2 months later...

Enjoy the trip up the river. We were on the Triumph last year when we had propulsion issues and it ended up being day light as we came up the river.

We basically stayed on the Port side, but that is because we are from that area, and more familiar with the Westbank.

You won't really see much more on either side of the river while coming to New Orleans but you will be docked there for 3 days and usually the ship docks with the starboard side to the dock facing the city,

So you have a choice, you can view the city and a little Mardi Gras action on the starboard side for 3 days or you can view the river and passing ships on the port side for 3 days.

Will be actually be able to see any of the parades from the ship? Which would be the closest to walk to!

• 5 weeks later...
Will be actually be able to see any of the parades from the ship? Which would be the closest to walk to!

The major parades occur during Mardi Gras (and on a few other celebrations) and they are most definitely not visible from where the ships dock on the backside of the convention center.