Vegan on Solstice ... new! Oceanview Cafe

cruisestitch

Thanks for concern, but my mind is wide open and my life is very fulfilling. Celebrity is not going to add cost and add stations. If this ever proceeds past the experimental stage of a rogue chef, something will be eliminated. We don’t need the desires of another fringe group eliminating options for the vast majority. We really don’t need a section that is almost as good as conventional selections.

Of course they are going to eliminate something or consolidate if they introduce a new item. Not many here have argued anything to the contrary. But if you are so "wide open" why do you assume they will not just eliminate a duplicate dish or why do you believe that the new items are "almost as good"? If you truly had a very open mind you would leave open the possibility that the new items could be even BETTER than conventional items and maybe the best tasting food you ever had on a cruise? I was not trying to insult you, only saying that assuming you will not like something before you try it will limit your experiences in life.

But then again, being open to your point of view, it is possible that a limited base of experiences can be "very fulfilling" to some people.

Edited by Mythbuster

Or perhaps they are just as closed minded and resistant to change as they appear.

I agree, But the point is, they don’t have to be resistant to change; this doesn’t impact them. If you don’t want to try a vegan item......don’t. There maybe one or two other choices, you think?

I understand nothing was eliminated in this vegan experiment. What you need to understand is that Celebrity is that is not going to add cost and items will be eliminated if this fringe concept were expanded to more ships.

So you accept that this ‘experiment’ didn’t eliminate anything, but you argue it will if fully introduced? That doesn’t track. And adds cost? What indication do you have or understanding of vegan meals leads you to that? A vegan selection is mainly prepared and cooked differently, using items normally available prepping the other items so there isn’t much of an increase in anything. Are you arguing that tofu or vegees are more expensive than beef?

No elimination, no apparent increase in cost. So now what is the argument against this ‘fringe’ concept? You have read the posts where many of us who aren’t vegan or vegetarian do enjoy these choices, and many others have stated the vegan items will meet their other dietary requirements. This is getting old.

Den

FABULOUS! I love a good veggie dish.

To whomever said that pesto always has cheese- not really- I just bought sun dried tomato pesto at Costco and NO cheese. Yeah!

I will be on the Solstice in November and will definitely check out the Vegan section.

For those experienced cruisers, would BLU have much to offer in the way of Vegan dishes?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those experienced cruisers, would BLU have much to offer in the way of Vegan dishes?

I would recommend working through your Maitre D for Blu once on the ship to communicate your dietary concerns ahead of time and with appropriate notice they should be able to work with you and the chef. Other more recent Aqua cruisers can add their experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To whomever said that pesto always has cheese- not really- I just bought sun dried tomato pesto at Costco and NO cheese. Yeah!

I will be on the Solstice in November and will definitely check out the Vegan section.

Blu always has a vegetarian dish entrée for dinner. You can check with the waiter about appetizers and soups. I think they are always noted on the menu but it never hurts to ask.

Glad we can get away from the, “this will impact us ‘normal’ people” discussions. Sometimes we forget that for those who have restricted diets and follow varous dining approaches, its not like they can just stay home and cook their specifics. Although there are great dining venues on the ships, they are limited in number and need to meet the passengers’ requirements......alll the passengers, even the ‘fringe’......Ouch.

Den

Edited by Denny01

I am looking forward to my cruise.

I have had such a limited menu of food to eat and I'm hoping that Celebrity might have a few more options/ideas.

I just tried making muffins last week when the weather cooled enough to do some baking. I haven't had any bread, muffins, cake, cookies, etc. in over 7 months. I have been having trouble finding things I can eat.

Since I'm also not sure if all the things the naturopath has told me to avoid is what is keeping my asthma attacks away or if it's just one or two things. That's on top of all my allergies to raw vegetables, certain fruits and quinoa.

I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast for months now. I haven't found anything else I can eat but eggs (which I don't really like). There is one cold cereal I can have- puffed rice but it has very little if any nutritional value so I don't eat it very often.

Friends have told me they couldn't do what I do for food. But not having asthma attacks has changed my life so much. I can go anywhere and not worry that I will have to be rushed to the hospital because I came too close to someone smoking. I just wish I knew what I know now years ago.

We have had really bad air quality with all the forest fires and I haven't had to use any inhalers. Last year I had to wear a mask every time I left my house or I would have an asthma attack from the smoke in the air.

Edited by rsquirrel

rsquirrel,

Your condition sounds pretty serious as you describe it. Maybe you should discuss this with Celebrity before you board your cruise to avoid disappointment on board with food selections. Maybe they can prepare a special diet or point out items that you can eat.

You are correct. However, if I saw pesto at a station not indicated as Vegan, I'd assume it had parmesan cheese. At a vegan station, I'd assume that the recipe had been modified as you indicated with a substitute. It's nice that X has thought to offer folks looking for vegan options a "safe zone." Of course non vegans aren't prohibited from trying things there also, so I don't get the reaction of some here who seem to feel they're being deprived of something. One of the things I find pleasing about the OVC (and cruising in general) is the number of options available to try. While I might not order something in a restaurant (land) it's fun to try new things aboard ship. The wide variety offered gives the opportunity to try many new things that I and others may never try in other circumstances.

Luvcrusn - I started to read this entire thread again from the very beginning this morning to see if I missed information or context. Your post really stood out to me. As others have commented, I have walked through the buffet in the evening to see what were the options that my partner and I might be missing out on knowing that we were going to dinner in the MDR. Sometimes I was surprised (always in a good way) at the myriad options that would be put out. Sometimes thinking about changing plans to eat in the buffet instead.

To your points in your post, I am also willing to try something new on the buffet that I may not be as likely to try when on land in a restaurant. It's so easy to take spoonful of different items, find out how much you end up liking it, and then go back for more.

The news that cruisestich has presented here is an exciting change, not just for the evening buffet offerings, but to anyone that wants an alternative option to meat / dairy for personal & dietary reasons. I can only hope that this starts to move to other ships as the lionshare of positive feedback comes forward.

Glad we can get away from the, “this will impact us ‘normal’ people” discussions. Sometimes we forget that for those who have restricted diets and follow varous dining approaches, its not like they can just stay home and cook their specifics. Although there are great dining venues on the ships, they are limited in number and need to meet the passengers’ requirements......alll the passengers, even the ‘fringe’......Ouch.

Den

Denny01 - I re-read the thread from start to finish this morning to ensure I didn't miss out on anything or take anything out of context. It was quite refreshing to realize that every post (with one notable exception) was in favor of a possible future change or would at least be willing to try something new that they wouldn't normally have access to. Isn't that what cruising (and travel in general) does for each of us? New experiences can feed the mind, feed the soul, and feed the stomach. Thank you for your thoughts and for bringing this thread back on track.

As far as I can tell, the only "fringe" I see is coming from a singular minority point of view with some ax to grind.

Edited by vulcan1971

The reference I made to pesto and cheese was in the context of seeing pesto at a non vegan station I'd assume it had basil, parmesiano reggiano, garlic, pine nuts and olive oil. Since all of the ingredients would not be listed on the buffet label, I'd have to assume them. At a vegan station, I'd feel safe that the cheese had been replaced with a tofu or other substitute. I didn't say anything about pesto being available at a store without cheese. Of course in a grocery store I could pick up the container in question and read all ingredients.

LOL, after being vegan for the last 15 years, my eating requirements is considered 'fringe'??? Most of the world eats mainly vegan, many by choice and others not.

I accept the fact that many choose to eat differently, does that mean the 'majority' of vegans/vegetarians in the world need be ignored just because some of us do not know or can appreciate 'different' eating habits/desires?

And, what has been so deftly pointed out, nothing has been replaced or taken away from the buffet, consolidated but not taken away. Not sure the reason people choose to fight this, then again???

Soon I will be on The Summit and ask if they will start a 'vegan' section there too...

Thank you again C for your input and follow up on this.... much appreciated, to be sure, by me.

Thank you for your input, regardless....

bon appetite and bon voyage

Thank you for your excellent words. I spit out my coffee at “fringe” group - LOLLLL oh well, let’s hope for a “Rogue” chef on the Summit. We are sailing on her this November and fingers crossed, the Chef went rogue and placed an identifiable station for Vegans/Vegetarians.

Please keep us updated Bo, if the Summit follows the Solstice’s lead.

Cheers, Heather

As others have aptly noted, let the Maitre’D know on the first night of your dietary lifestyle. They will also provide the MDR Vegetarian menu, upon request. In addition, the wait staff were excellent upon knowing that we did not eat “anything that smiles” ;) They were happy to alter soups or salads without meat or by-products, as well as ordering the “vegetable sides” on the meat dishes, as a vegetable platter to share between the two of us. Most accommodating!

rsquirrel,

Your condition sounds pretty serious as you describe it. Maybe you should discuss this with Celebrity before you board your cruise to avoid disappointment on board with food selections. Maybe they can prepare a special diet or point out items that you can eat.

I did call and let them know about no wheat, dairy and quinoa.

I'm not so worried about some of the other things the naturopath said to avoid like sugar, corn, potatoes. I think he just wants to keep everyone's glycemic index low. He had me avoid those before he even did any testing. I will make sure I don't go crazy and eat a bunch of french fries.

Dinners will be easy- chicken, rice and cooked veggies. Or a chicken salad with very little toppings since the only thing I can think of to add is black olives.

I'm not worried, I'm sure they can find me something to eat.

Of course they are going to eliminate something or consolidate if they introduce a new item. Not many here have argued anything to the contrary. But if you are so "wide open" why do you assume they will not just eliminate a duplicate dish or why do you believe that the new items are "almost as good"? If you truly had a very open mind you would leave open the possibility that the new items could be even BETTER than conventional items and maybe the best tasting food you ever had on a cruise? I was not trying to insult you, only saying that assuming you will not like something before you try it will limit your experiences in life.

But then again, being open to your point of view, it is possible that a limited base of experiences can be "very fulfilling" to some people.

I am not in BigBeerGuts camp ( I do commend his willingness to express a very unpopular opinion ;)) . Your comment , "Of course they are going to eliminate something or consolidate if they introduce a new item. " is not what many have argued here . In fact they have argued the opposite . They have argued that nothing will be lossed , only gained . :confused:

Pesto is a good example . I love a well made pesto and perhaps the vegan version is good but I haven't had one that compared favorably with the original . Previously I posted my approval of new options and overall am in favor of these changes . I am however skeptical that nothing at all will be lost .

Not really. There are some menus on this page and the veggie stuff I noticed had cheese or other dairy in it. And not a lot of vegetarian dishes, certainly no more than in the MDR (even though people always say they are healthy).

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2335

cruisestitch

~ thanks so much for posting this. Our daughter has a serious dairy allergy that can make her very ill. It's shocking how many food items contain milk-based products that you would never know about. When we cruise (and she's been cruising a long time), her allergy is noted in her record and we always speak with the Maitre 'd when we get on the ship....and then again with wait staff or chefs. But you always have a concern that something could contain dairy.

Having a vegan station gives those with serious dairy allergies a much higher level of comfort when selecting something to eat. It's no fun to feel sick on vacation.

She developed this in her early 20s and misses things like good cheese and real ice cream but you learn to adjust. Thanks to Celebrity for offering the vegan station and thanks for posting that they've done so.

~ She developed this in her early 20s and misses things like good cheese and real ice cream but you learn to adjust. Thanks to Celebrity for offering the vegan station and thanks for posting that they've done so.

There are some excellent ice cream substitutes these days. We don’t miss ice cream any more. Ben & Jerry’s and Haagen-dazs non-dairy are both quite amazing.

We are non-dairy because of a whey protein allergy but goat and sheep milk cheeses don’t seem to cause any reaction.

cruisestitch

~ thanks so much for posting this. Our daughter has a serious dairy allergy that can make her very ill. It's shocking how many food items contain milk-based products that you would never know about. When we cruise (and she's been cruising a long time), her allergy is noted in her record and we always speak with the Maitre 'd when we get on the ship....and then again with wait staff or chefs. But you always have a concern that something could contain dairy.

Having a vegan station gives those with serious dairy allergies a much higher level of comfort when selecting something to eat. It's no fun to feel sick on vacation.

She developed this in her early 20s and misses things like good cheese and real ice cream but you learn to adjust. Thanks to Celebrity for offering the vegan station and thanks for posting that they've done so.

Greatly appreciate you sharing this. So many times we look at all of this through our own perspective as if it’s all suppose to meet our needs only, and we complain if it differs from something we’d use or need.

Excellent reminder of how life impacts us and how even going on our favorite vacations, we need to be aware of other people’s needs and issues.

OK.....back to thinking about myself!!!

Den

Thanks for concern, but my mind is wide open and my life is very fulfilling. Celebrity is not going to add cost and add stations. If this ever proceeds past the experimental stage of a rogue chef, something will be eliminated. We don’t need the desires of another fringe group eliminating options for the vast majority. We really don’t need a section that is almost as good as conventional selections.

This is just so wrong. First vegan food is generally far less expensive than foods that contain animal products, so costs will not increase.

Second, there are already a number of vegan options at every meal in the ocean view. We just got off 14 days on the Silhouette and my wife who is vegan had to walk around the entire buffet with the chef for each meal we ate there for him to tell her what was vegan and what was not. So simply consolidating all the vegan options will not require eliminating anything as they are already there.

Third, this will clearly indicate which dishes are vegan, so you will no longer run the risk of accidentally eating a vegan dish.

See, it is really a win win for all involved.

This is just so wrong. First vegan food is generally far less expensive than foods that contain animal products, so costs will not increase.

Second, there are already a number of vegan options at every meal in the ocean view. We just got off 14 days on the Silhouette and my wife who is vegan had to walk around the entire buffet with the chef for each meal we ate there for him to tell her what was vegan and what was not. So simply consolidating all the vegan options will not require eliminating anything as they are already there.

Third, this will clearly indicate which dishes are vegan, so you will no longer run the risk of accidentally eating a vegan dish.

See, it is really a win win for all involved.

Wow !

.......So many times we look at all of this through our own perspective as if it’s all suppose to meet our needs only

Den

This summarizes the entire thread. I'm truly sorry for anyone who has an allergy to some kind of animal product, but the Celebrity staff is more than happy to accommodate your needs. However these people are in the minority and there are several on this thread that are looking at this through their needs. If Celebrity wants to add selections, the vast majority of passengers would rather have Celebrity add animal based selections.