Infinite Verandas - Who Knew?

vtcruising

Happy to help! We will just have to wait till November till we see if they have changed much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps you can answer the 64 thousand dollar question?

When the window and the bi-fold doors are open and someone opens the main cabin door, is there a “wind tunnel” effect?

Thanks for posting, Wendy! I did a search for pictures of this cabin a couple of weeks ago and nothing came up. Thank goodness a CC member finally had the cabin and took some good pix.

My feeling is that the view is better than I imagined. The windows are wider-looking from the inside than the outside.

A few questions:

1) I am assuming these balconies are quieter and more private. Was that your experience?

2) Did you find that the bifold doors were in the way at all? They look like push back flat against the wall out of the way.

3) Since you left the bifold doors open at all times, when you had the window down, did the AC do anything different? In other words, did the AC turn down automatically when the window was open? It may work differently on the Edge since the ship has been built with the Infinite Verandas, but just wondering if your cabin compensated in any way.

4) Did you find the cabin darker than with the traditional balconies? It looks a bit dark in the last picture, despite being open to the balcony. It may be the photo lighting, but what did you think, in comparison to traditional balconies?

5) Did the balcony experience feel the same to you with an infinite balcony? Would you book one on the Edge?

Thanks for your help!! :D

Perhaps you can answer the 64 thousand dollar question?

When the window and the bi-fold doors are open and someone opens the main cabin door, is there a “wind tunnel” effect?

Yes! But no more so than when a regular balcony door is open. To be honest we never closed the bi-fold doors.

Thanks for posting, Wendy! I did a search for pictures of this cabin a couple of weeks ago and nothing came up. Thank goodness a CC member finally had the cabin and took some good pix.

My feeling is that the view is better than I imagined. The windows are wider-looking from the inside than the outside.

A few questions:

1) I am assuming these balconies are quieter and more private. Was that your experience?

Yes, but it was at the end practically of a corridor. A regular blacony was next door and we couldn’t see or hear them.

2) Did you find that the bifold doors were in the way at all? They look like push back flat against the wall out of the way.

Not at all. Totally out of the way and after once trying to open them I didn’t bother.

3) Since you left the bifold doors open at all times, when you had the window down, did the AC do anything different? In other words, did the AC turn down automatically when the window was open? It may work differently on the Edge since the ship has been built with the Infinite Verandas, but just wondering if your cabin compensated in any way.

I didn’t notice the AC go off and it was one of the things I was waiting for. But this was a busy 7 night cruise so we weren’t sitting there for ages.

4) Did you find the cabin darker than with the traditional balconies? It looks a bit dark in the last picture, despite being open to the balcony. It may be the photo lighting, but what did you think, in comparison to traditional balconies?

It’s my poor camera skills! I didn’t find it much darker. And to answer 5 we loved it and are very glad we booked one on the Edge last year too. If anything we felt it made the room bigger.

5) Did the balcony experience feel the same to you with an infinite balcony? Would you book one on the Edge?

Thanks for your help!! :D

Ok, I will try my best to answer!

Wendy, your experience is of great comfort. I wondered about the 'wind tunnel' effect. I do have a few other questions.

When in port and changing for dinner, I usually will pull the curtains a bit... for more privacy while still having natural light. ..so I might pull the right or left side of the curtains.... if you lower the shade say half way.... does it make the room too dark? I will say not having curtains does make the cabin seem wider and brighter. Thanks so much for these photos. You might post them other places... there is an Edge facebook page (probably more than one), I am sure people would love to see the real deal

Wendy, your experience is of great comfort. I wondered about the 'wind tunnel' effect. I do have a few other questions.

When in port and changing for dinner, I usually will pull the curtains a bit... for more privacy while still having natural light. ..so I might pull the right or left side of the curtains.... if you lower the shade say half way.... does it make the room too dark? I will say not having curtains does make the cabin seem wider and brighter. Thanks so much for these photos. You might post them other places... there is an Edge facebook page (probably more than one), I am sure people would love to see the real deal

I didn’t have that problem this cruise but I know what you mean. Lowering it a bit would be fine but I know that lowering it all the way made it look like an inside stateroom! As for posting other places, for the moment I don’t have the time to keep up! In a few days maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Wendy! I tried to hint to those on the main Celebrity thread you started on the Connie IV that if they had overall IV questions or opinions, they might come over here, and that your thread there was more for that specific situation. And yup, you got questions there and here! But I guess you’re stuck with both.....the IV questions do go to both Edge and now to the full Line as they are updated.

Edit: Just realized, you have the thread on the main X forum, this one asking you questions And the one below on Connie IV SR you are responding to......ouch!

Your photos and knowledge answer so many questions (for me) than the Celebrity videos. I’m really looking forward to having a balcony that has three configuraiton options: I can close up the bifold doors, leave the 1/2 glass window down and have the config much as an existing balcony, or I can leave the bifolds against the wall and open the 1/2 glass and have an airy larger SR, or close it up and have an a/c’d large SR!

This will be fun seeing the different ways of using this IV. We usually ask a few friends over and now it looks like with using the balcony area, we can have a few more over.

Again, thank you. Between Lloyd, vtcruising and you, we’ve learned so much about the upcoming Edge and the changes to the rest of the X Fleet.

Den

Edited by Denny01

• 2 weeks later...
Ummm I guess I forgot the winking emoji;) Did you see the comments about the blackout shade on the Infinite Veranda? Remember that none of us have been on this ship, so there’s a lot of speculation. Further, the putative lack of curtains for the bi-fold doors would only bother those who (a) need darkness to sleep, and (b) have a mate who wakes before dawn and likes to enjoy the dawn on the veranda.

There are other reasons you would want black out curtains. One, when you dock in Cozumel, St Martin, St Thomas, Antigua or some other ports, very often there is a ship directly across from you at the dock. You can look in their windows and they can look in yours. If you want to get dressed or just not be in a fishbowl, you close your drapes.

Another time when you need drapes is late afternoon if your room faces the sun or early morning while the sun is still low in the sky. In the Caribbean those times can be blazingly hot and blindingly bright. You need at least a partial closure to keep your room cool and to protect your eyes.

So far I'm not a big fan of the new IV arrangement. I can't wait until the cruisers who experience these first describe their opinions of the design. We are booked on a late February back-to-back, not too late for us to back out if the new designs are too frustrating.

I did not think I would like the Oasis class ships... they seem too large to me...until we tried it. It is one of my favorite classes. I have very mixed feelings about some aspects of the Edge, but am excited to try it. I feel we paid a lot more than we normally would but still much less than current prices. If we were purchasing now, I think I would wait for the reviews. But the intent was to be disruptive to the expected concept of cruising. So there are likely to be old time cruisers who will not like the new stuff and removal of the familiar. But others will love the changes. I am just not sure which I will be, but I can not wait to see it. I just hope the cruise line waits for the reviews before changing all the ships. The cruise line needs to keep in mind that we older folks won't be around forever and they need to pull in the younger crowd. I assume the changes are intended to do that. They will be successful if they can satisfy and even excite most of their current customers while also bringing in newer younger cruisers. I hope they are successful.

There are other reasons you would want black out curtains. One, when you dock in Cozumel, St Martin, St Thomas, Antigua or some other ports, very often there is a ship directly across from you at the dock. You can look in their windows and they can look in yours. If you want to get dressed or just not be in a fishbowl, you close your drapes.

Another time when you need drapes is late afternoon if your room faces the sun or early morning while the sun is still low in the sky. In the Caribbean those times can be blazingly hot and blindingly bright. You need at least a partial closure to keep your room cool and to protect your eyes.

So far I'm not a big fan of the new IV arrangement. I can't wait until the cruisers who experience these first describe their opinions of the design. We are booked on a late February back-to-back, not too late for us to back out if the new designs are too frustrating.

As my favorite uncle used to say, you’re preaching to the choir. Has anyone on these boards said they don’t want blackout curtains on the bifold doors leading to the IV? I myself would always want blackout curtains, but there will at least be a blackout shade on the IV. Why the devil would anyone want that IV blackout shade open in the blazing Caribbean sun? You’d close it. Problem solved. Getting dressed while facing another ship? Close the IV blackout shade or retire to the bathroom to change. Ideal? Certainly not. Catastrophe? No.

We all knew - or should have known - that we might have to cope with initial design flaws when we booked cruises during the inaugural season. Like you, I’m eagerly awaiting those initial reviews, but I doubt I’d cancel my cruise based on one or two flaws.

After seeing Wendy's comments and photos I am fairly certain that ultimately when I do book an Edge class ship that I would ONLY book a NON Infinite Verandah room due to the lack of standard drapery. Like others I enjoy sitting on my balcony at various times of day or night and appreciate the fact that by leaving the drapes closed it can help keep the room cool, provide darkness for a cabin mate who is sleeping, provide privacy for someone in the cabin dressing, etc. This is a serious design flaw that I hope gets corrected in future ships of this series!

I forsee this design element becoming as polarizing as the NCL EPIC bathroom design has been since she was launched

Will the glass on The Edge Infinite Verandah have a special tint to reduce the sun rays & light and from people looking into the cabin from the outside?

It's not a tint. It's a layer of electrically sensitive material in the window glass that turns translucent when a electrical charged is applied. Unless there is a power problem, it should work just fine. The amount of see -thru may be of concern to some people. If from the inside there is still views of the outside, there may be confusion that the same works the other way. Not so.

Adding curtains and drapes would also soften the sound inside the cabin and the very minimalist, spartan design ..

We will see how we like it as well as the layout and location of BLU

Hoping dh does not turn this into a toy with electronic shade constantly going light and dark, , up and down,

Adding curtains and drapes would also soften the sound inside the cabin and the very minimalist, spartan design ..

We will see how we like it as well as the layout and location of BLU

Hoping dh does not turn this into a toy with electronic shade constantly going light and dark, , up and down,

How about a Belgian flax linen drape in a muted tone to complement the design of the cabins? Available at Pottery Barn in a variety of neutral colors!

Hmmm- wonder if there's such an item as an extra long shower curtain rod? Then those of us who want drapes could BYO!

It's not a tint. It's a layer of electrically sensitive material in the window glass that turns translucent when a electrical charged is applied. Unless there is a power problem, it should work just fine. The amount of see -thru may be of concern to some people. If from the inside there is still views of the outside, there may be confusion that the same works the other way. Not so.

I think that the shades are actual shades that are raised and lowered with a push of a button. I think this based on earlier photos showing the ship and some of the shades appear to be hanging off kilter. I don't think they will be the type of window you are talking about... but that would be cool if that is the case. I do recall seeing drapes in the plans for at least some of the suites.

How about a Belgian flax linen drape in a muted tone to complement the design of the cabins? Available at Pottery Barn in a variety of neutral colors!

Hmmm- wonder if there's such an item as an extra long shower curtain rod? Then those of us who want drapes could BYO!

Starting to feel we need to pack some extras..curtains, gadgets to hang laundry, magnets...already ordered a hanging bathroom storage itemthat has a hanging hook...for extra cosmetics etc...

Maybe a small throw rug; and I will need to bring non cashmere sheets and blanket due to allergies,,

Modern Luxury Camping!