Crazy crazy prices !

lovescarborough

I'm surprised our usual suspect isn't here saying you're paying too much, and bragging that Celebrity rips them off by charging $499 for 15 nights...

Would that be the gentleman fond of posting prices for crappy cabins on crappy itineraries (repo cruises with lots of sea days) that may require expensive air at the drop of a hat?

I'll agree with him they're cheap. But most are not at all desirable. An inside on a TA would be my idea of hell. Especially on an M class ship with limited amenities.

We have also been appalled with some of the recent pricing, especially on the Edge. It is completely unbelievable to me that people are willing to pay that much just to experience something new! I also fear that we will all be paying much higher prices to pay for all this remodeling. But I also believe there will come a point in time where there are not enough people willing to pay the exorbitant prices Celebrity is charging for the new and/or upgraded ships and things will level off. I certainly hope so! Have sailed almost exclusively Celebrity for more than 24 years now (more than 40 cruises) and would hate to have to switch to another line due to cost. :(

We have also been appalled with some of the recent pricing, especially on the Edge. It is completely unbelievable to me that people are willing to pay that much just to experience something new! I also fear that we will all be paying much higher prices to pay for all this remodeling. But I also believe there will come a point in time where there are not enough people willing to pay the exorbitant prices Celebrity is charging for the new and/or upgraded ships and things will level off. I certainly hope so! Have sailed almost exclusively Celebrity for more than 24 years now (more than 40 cruises) and would hate to have to switch to another line due to cost. :(

It stick's in one's craw to have such massive price hikes and then to be served half a single scallop as a starter and thin slimy steak, Meatloaf, Liver & Onions, and Irish Stew in the MDR. If they want to charge premium prices they need to improve the food quality IMO. Food in the MDR as some peaks (Chateaubriand / Beef Wellington) and troughs (Top Chef menu anyone? :D )

Actually, yes, "we" did ask for them....by booking and filling to capacity all the other new build ships that have more bells and whistles than ever. Maybe not you. in particular, but the cruising market in general did.

That actually doesn't surprise me. The longer the cruise, the fewer the people who can afford the time off to go on it, so the demand is lower. And price is largely a reflection of supply and demand.

I think you misunderstood. The 9 night aqua is currently $500 MORE per person than the 12 night aqua fare.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I think you misunderstood. The 9 night aqua is currently $500 MORE per person than the 12 night aqua fare.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I think they did. I think rhe point being made is that the 12 night Cruise is less popular than thev9 night cruise and therefore lower prices are required to fill it.

I’ve seen prices all over the place between various cruises - it seems sometimes that they just have a big spinning wheel and wherever the pointer lands that’s today’s price. Next week they increase all the numbers and sp8n again.

I didn't misunderstand anything. The 9 night is likely more expensive than the 12 night because there is higher demand for it. Generally speaking, there are fewer people who can take a 12 night cruise than a 9 night cruise, so all other things equal, the 9 night will command a higher price.

Someone then asked why, using that logic, 100+ night cruises are priced at an exorbitant rate. That is likely because at that length the supply of cruises, which is the other big factor affecting price, is so limited that yes, the price is much higher.

It stick's in one's craw to have such massive price hikes and then to be served half a single scallop as a starter and thin slimy steak, Meatloaf, Liver & Onions, and Irish Stew in the MDR. If they want to charge premium prices they need to improve the food quality IMO. Food in the MDR as some peaks (Chateaubriand / Beef Wellington) and troughs (Top Chef menu anyone? :D )
Please dont teĺl me ìs ex Southampton [emoji26]

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Please dont teĺl me ìs ex Southampton [emoji26]

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

If you're sailing ex Southampton - you're likely to see Liver and Onions, Irish Stew and Chicken Tikka Massala rotated in every few days as everyday specials (in place of the usual Steak, Salmon and Chicken) - The everyday Steak on our last cruise was awful (about 5mm thick and very unusual texture). The Scallop (unless it has been improved) is a laughable joke - an appetizer consisting of 1 Scallop about 10mm thick on a shell - barely an Amuse Bouche. I think the Top Chef menu has been dropped on UK cruises, the cultural references are lost on a largely UK passenger group and the food was poorly received

I didn't misunderstand anything. The 9 night is likely more expensive than the 12 night because there is higher demand for it. Generally speaking, there are fewer people who can take a 12 night cruise than a 9 night cruise, so all other things equal, the 9 night will command a higher price.

If that were true, cruise lines would only offer 9 night cruises and no 12 night cruises. Why would they sell something that not only costs more, but earns way less.

The reality is like all cruises, some sell better than others just for individual reasons such as group bookings. That would be the case here as well.

Generally a 12 night cruise will cost more than a 9 night cruise.

If you're sailing ex Southampton - you're likely to see Liver and Onions, Irish Stew and Chicken Tikka Massala rotated in every few days as everyday specials (in place of the usual Steak, Salmon and Chicken) - The everyday Steak on our last cruise was awful (about 5mm thick and very unusual texture). The Scallop (unless it has been improved) is a laughable joke - an appetizer consisting of 1 Scallop about 10mm thick on a shell - barely an Amuse Bouche. I think the Top Chef menu has been dropped on UK cruises, the cultural references are lost on a largely UK passenger group and the food was poorly received

Not what I wanted to read. Our first time sailing from Southampton, thank goodness I've booked a speciality dining package.

Not what I wanted to read. Our first time sailing from Southampton, thank goodness I've booked a speciality dining package.

Don't get me wrong we enjoyed the food - but it annoys us to see steep price increases AND on board penny pinching.

I am anxiously awaiting Edge reviews and have an S1 booked for April’s TA. The price I paid more than doubled. Yes, some of the pricing seems extreme, but hopefully it will even out a bit, along with reviews that are very positive...it is what it is with economic factors being what they are...so many will never get to cruise in their lifetimes. My glass remains half full, even though I know that possibly, I will have to rethink suites. No tears at all, I just feel very lucky...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

I am SO with all of you who mentioned prices and dining. Just spent over 2 days comparing lines with X...prices have risen so much I wondered if it was Edge construction we were helping to pay for. Seems the other lines - except MSC - is comparable. BUT...MSC is almost sold out (guarantee only available and some Yacht Club). Word has spread, so that line will be upping prices soon also most likely. Best to bite the bullet if we want to cruise and "stay with the one we know", quoting DH. Re 'Dining'....last few cruises food has slipped. For the higher prices, I'd like to see better quality and more choice without being forced to specialty dining.

That's the only thing you will be seeing from those inside cabins

Can I assume that your screen name is short for "Do You Know Who I Am?" That's really an interesting choice. Just in case you get tired of driving up the stock price of my Royal Caribbean shares and decide to cruise in an inside cabin... I have included yet ANOTHER incredible deal... on yet ANOTHER incredible Celebrity cruise... in yet ANOTHER incredible inside cabin! :D

I'm surprised our usual suspect isn't here saying you're paying too much, and bragging that Celebrity rips them off by charging $499 for 15 nights...

I don't think I ever complained about being ripped off... but I AM here! And you're paying WAYYY too much! ;)

Here's a 15 night cruise... with LOTS of GREAT sea days...on an M Class ship... in an INSIDE cabin... for only $495pp! :p

Celebrity Constellation... Rome to Abu Dhabi... on 11 November. (Is this one on the exciting deals page???)

Flights booked through Choice Air remain very reasonable even up to the last week before departure. (But I am certain some people have their own private jets so they don't have to worry about mingling with commoners.) ;p

It seems that some people have a difficult time trying to consider SOMEONE ELSE'S priorities or points of view.

I can't remember the last time I criticized another CC member for posting a good deal available on a suite or AQ cabin.;)

Edited by teecee60

I think they need to raise prices to pay for all the new builds/"Improvements" they are making. So what? Your problem, we didn't ask for any of them.

And they also have started the ‘Move up programme’ where you bid silly prices to sail in a better category cabin.

If I wanted to do that, I would book the better category from the start.

No thanks Celebrity, I may as well go to Azamara and have an all inclusive package.

Can I assume that your screen name is short for "Do You Know Who I Am?" That's really an interesting choice. Just in case you get tired of driving up the stock price of my Royal Caribbean shares .

Driving your stock up? It's DOWN about about 4.5% ytd while the rest of the market (S&P 500) is up 6.6% ytd. The current price is down $17 from it's all time high.

If that were true, cruise lines would only offer 9 night cruises and no 12 night cruises. Why would they sell something that not only costs more, but earns way less.

The reality is like all cruises, some sell better than others just for individual reasons such as group bookings. That would be the case here as well.

Generally a 12 night cruise will cost more than a 9 night cruise.

Yes, some particular cruises sell better. Supply and demand is not only a reflection of the length of the cruise, but also the cruise line, the particular ship, the time of year, the itinerary and the price of tea in China. It was a general statement that all other things equal, there is more demand for a 9 night cruise. But that doesn't mean there is NO demand for 12 night cruises. If cruise lines canceled all cruises over 9 days, there would be an increased supply of the shorter cruises and the price of those would likely drop. Cruise lines may well have determined that it's better to keep a premium on those cruises and at the same time, offer some longer ones; even though the longer ones are cheaper they are obviously still profitable to the cruise line. No doubt it is the overall combination that cruise lines have found to be most profitable overall.

Driving your stock up? It's DOWN about about 4.5% ytd while the rest of the market (S&P 500) is up 6.6% ytd. The current price is down $17 from it's all time high.

I bought at $33/share...so yesterday's price of $115/share makes me very happy. :D

Maybe it's just that "half full vs. half empty" thing.

In addition, having received just over $3,000 in shareholder OBC also makes me very happy! :cool:

Edited by teecee60

I bought at $33/share...so yesterday's price of $115/share makes me very happy. :D

Maybe it's just that "half full vs. half empty" thing.

In addition, having received just over $3,000 in shareholder OBC also makes me very happy! :cool:

Trust me, you don't want to talk stock gains with me, RCL wouldn't make my top 20. In fact, if you still own it, your gain is on paper only, mine is in the bank so that makes my glass full and overflowing.

I've read several times on this board where shareholder credit is really hard to get as it's not easy to get as you can't combine it with just about any other deal.

And they also have started the ‘Move up programme’ where you bid silly prices to sail in a better category cabin.

No one is holding a gun to your head telling you to book. People are simply offered an upgrade which they can take or leave. Nothing wrong with that. :)

If I wanted to do that, I would book the better category from the start.

Moot point. People are booking the cabin they want already. They're simply being asked if they want something better than they already wanted.

No thanks Celebrity, I may as well go to Azamara and have an all inclusive package.

You can do that with Celebrity and probably for a lot less than AZ based on their current pricing. Which reminds me I need to start an AZ thread...

Trust me, you don't want to talk stock gains with me, RCL wouldn't make my top 20. In fact, if you still own it, your gain is on paper only, mine is in the bank so that makes my glass full and overflowing.

I've read several times on this board where shareholder credit is really hard to get as it's not easy to get as you can't combine it with just about any other deal.

Exactly.

I'd sell with gains of 300-400%

Our private bankers would roll their eyes if we wanted to buy RCCL/Celebrity stock.

The shareholder credit only seems to be paid out on repo cruises with few to no other perks. So it's pretty much non existent for the majority of cruisers.

I have just opened an email from one of the main online travel agencies here in the U.K. offering 'deals ' on the Edge in the Med for 2019. Deals look good with drinks packages and unlimited internet included but prices left me speechless ! Inside cabins for a 10 night trip from £1899 pp, cheapest balcony £3056pp, Aqua class £4007 and the lovely Iconic suite only £26057 pp. This is from Southampton so no flights included. The itinerary is not brilliant either. Who is going to pay these crazy prices?

We get it on this side of the pond too. NYC to Southampton, 7 day cruise on QM2 has been listed for the past week at $9949 pp for balcony or suite. That's only $1421.28 per night. The cruise is now "sold out". I had it already booked at $899 for an inside ($128.42 PN), otherwise I'd be rowing across at those prices. (Oops. I just discovered that someone else had recently done this (row across). I wonder if they were considering booking a seven day cruise for $9949. Who knows? Maybe there is a trend starting! We could get a consortium of rowers started. The more we have rowing, the faster we could go! Think of the possibilities! :eek: Friendship, comaraderie and we could even have a daily rum ration. In fact, you can bring on board all the rum you want. No hassles with that! No 15% drink gratuities either.

We yanks can leave the boat with you in Southampton and you Brits can then take it on to the Med. Everybody wins! :D

Please, don't anyone tell Carnival Corp. about our plans.

Edited by 1980dory
Added info.