Cost - Silversea, Regent, Seabourn

spencgr

I'm about to embark on my 2nd "luxury" cruise (actually 2nd cruise ever), and both will have been with Silversea. Both times I did extensive research between Regent, Seabourn, and Silversea to find the best price for a comparable itinerary. (Northern Europe; Western Mediterranean). I kept coming back to Silversea, because the price was better.

So, my questions are:

Is it just the itinerary I am choosing that makes Silversea less expensive? Are there other itineraries that make the others better priced? If so, what are these destinations?

If Silversea is actually at a lower price point, what are the tangible benefits to the other two lines? All three are all-inclusive; all three are considered luxury.. .........so what makes people choose the other two?

I'm about to embark on my 2nd "luxury" cruise (actually 2nd cruise ever), and both will have been with Silversea. Both times I did extensive research between Regent, Seabourn, and Silversea to find the best price for a comparable itinerary. (Northern Europe; Western Mediterranean). I kept coming back to Silversea, because the price was better.

So, my questions are:

Is it just the itinerary I am choosing that makes Silversea less expensive? Are there other itineraries that make the others better priced? If so, what are these destinations?

If Silversea is actually at a lower price point, what are the tangible benefits to the other two lines? All three are all-inclusive; all three are considered luxury.. .........so what makes people choose the other two?

Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. I don't believe those three lines are identical with what they offer for the price. Doesn't Regent offer air fare and some excursions, possibly a hotel room before the cruise? Also, specific cruises might have special offers. Why aren't you considering Crystal?

As Texas Tillie notes, you need to look at what the fares include to get a true apples to apples. (and of course, the value to you of what is included). Airfare? Excursions? Tips? Alcohol and other beverages? Hotel room? Laundry? Internet? Alternative restaurants?

Also the respective cabins can be a factor. Size, layout, balcony are among the relevant factors.

In addition, factors that are less tangible--and more a matter of individual preference--can come into play. How is dinner seating handled? What is the atmosphere on the ship? What activities are offered on sea days? How many sea days vs port days? Size of ship and number and size of public venues? Etc.

As she also notes, you might want to include Crystal in your calculation.

Among the lines considered luxury, I've sailed Regent, Silversea, and Crystal, and find each has what are for me pluses and minuses. In the end, itinerary is the primary driver for me, but these other factors also come into play.

Be sure you are comparing apples to apples. I don't believe those three lines are identical with what they offer for the price. Doesn't Regent offer air fare and some excursions, possibly a hotel room before the cruise? Also, specific cruises might have special offers. Why aren't you considering Crystal?

I am doing my best to compare apples to apples by adding in airfare (when another has it included) and estimated costs for excursions, etc. I still find Silversea noticeably less expensive than the other two.

I'd prefer a line with as few children as possible.

I have done over 30 Crystal cruises and other than 2 one week Thanksgiving cruises out of Miami and Los Angeles, I have never been on a Crystal that had over a handful of children. Don't know where you got the idea most Crystal cruises are loaded with kids, that just isn't the case.

Yes, Regent includes business class international air, excursions (most), transfers to and from the airport to the ship and a pre-cruise night at a hotel for passengers in concierge or above suites.

We have sailed on Silversea and, In my opinion, one reason they seem less expensive is that they have different types of ships. Their smallest/oldest ship tends to be less money than, for instance, the Shadow or Whisper and the new ships also the two newer ships that are likely pricier. The expedition ships have the highest fare. Not sure if this plays in the fares but Silversea does have a cost to go to one or two speciality restaurants (depending upon the ship - I'm not familiar with their newest ship).

While we have not sailed on Crystal, they get great reviews but have smaller suites than the rest of the luxury cruise lines.

Seabourn is a bit better than Crystal I think...

TravelCat2 is right about the ships.

You will see different prices points even within Silversea in terms of the ship that you are looking at.

If you have not sailed two of these lines I would do some reading about each ship and each line to help you through your decision making process.

In terms of value when it comes to Regent you need to determine if the items that they include such as air, hotel, transfers and excursions are worth it to you. For example if you took Seabourn or Silverse and overlaid the cost of these items could you do it for less then the cost.

Adding to Texas Tillie's post, I am not sure what time frame you are looking at for these itineraries but if they are in the summer and short duration cruises don't be surprised if you see a good number of children on the lines you have mentioned. While this is Alaska I have sailed Silversea a coupe of times and one time was in Alaska. There were over 50 children on board. Two years later I was on a Crystal Ship during a similar time frame in Alaska and there were a handful of children on board. Silversea had no facilities for the children.

Keith