Celebrity rip off solo cruisers

Alaska_addict

As a solo cruiser why do I get ripped off if I choose a oceanview or above.

As a solo traveller I pay double already on most ships but on Celebrity if I book oceanview or above I get 2 free classic drinks packages! Nothing is for free and the 2 packages are included in the upgrade price from inside.

As a solo passenger I cant drink twice as much and as someone who dosent drink cant even drink one.

Why cant I just book a cabin and add 1 non alcoholic drinks package like on most other cruises?

Solo travellers are a good chunk of the cruising market but it seems like we are not welcome on Celebrity cruises. As were stuck in an inside cabin or ripped off for 2 drinks packages.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Forums mobile app

I cruise solo and pick the sailings that interest me and pay the price I am willing to pay.

I just returned from a solo cruise in an oceanview and didn't have the drinks package at all, so you must have booked under a different promotion. But the drinks package includes non-alcoholic beverages, so it's not like you can't drink those even if you don't drink alcohol.

Perhaps the booking guidelines with this are different in the UK but with US bookings you can get pricing that does not include any of the included perks for comparison.

We've made this comparison before and have found that on one of our Bermuda itineraries, as example, the stateroom rate with no perks included was significantly enough lower to make the cost of adding drinks or gratuities, etc., "a la carte" less costly than having any of them included.

You may want to check to see if this type of pricing differential is available with your booking.

As a solo traveller I pay double already on most ships but on Celebrity if I book oceanview or above I get 2 free classic drinks packages! Nothing is for free and the 2 packages are included in the upgrade price from inside.

As a solo passenger I cant drink twice as much and as someone who dosent drink cant even drink one.

Why cant I just book a cabin and add 1 non alcoholic drinks package like on most other cruises?

Solo travellers are a good chunk of the cruising market but it seems like we are not welcome on Celebrity cruises. As were stuck in an inside cabin or ripped off for 2 drinks packages.

Actually, you are complicit in this, if these are your true feelings about X, by continuing to purchase cabins and sailing as a solo. Especially when you cite other lines who do not have the same charges and etc.

So, with other cited choices abounding, what is your real issue, as it is not clear to me.

It cannot be cost or is it just the idea and you begrudgingly pay it as the other options are not appealing enough to move on?

bon voyage

I cruise solo and pick the sailings that interest me and pay the price I am willing to pay.

I just returned from a solo cruise in an oceanview and didn't have the drinks package at all, so you must have booked under a different promotion. But the drinks package includes non-alcoholic beverages, so it's not like you can't drink those even if you don't drink alcohol.

I agree I can drink the non alcholic part of the package but cant drink enough to get value for paying for 2 packages.

Why as a solo cruiser cant they knock the price of one package off the price?

Most Celebrity cruises are sold this way in the U.K except transatlantic cruises and a few re positioning cruises.

Perhaps the booking guidelines with this are different in the UK but with US bookings you can get pricing that does not include any of the included perks for comparison.

We've made this comparison before and have found that on one of our Bermuda itineraries, as example, the stateroom rate with no perks included was significantly enough lower to make the cost of adding drinks or gratuities, etc., "a la carte" less costly than having any of them included.

You may want to check to see if this type of pricing differential is available with your booking.

In the u.k you cant book oceanview or above without the 2 drinks packages even if you book on the Celebrity website unless its a re positioning cruise.

So sounds like a U.K only problem?

Not all celebrity sailings are double pricing for solo. I just got off equinox and paid approximately 10% more for a solo balcony cabin. I was traveling with a girlfriend and we each felt that the low single supplement(less than $100 each to have a private room) was the best route for us. That way we each had our own space, bed, and bath to get ready. It worked out perfectly and I’d do it again in a minute. The lack of solo supplement was the swaying factor for us in choosing celebrity and I’m SO glad we did !!

I would agree that MOST celebrity sailings have the full 100% supplement price tag but can testify first hand that not ALL sailings come with the solo surcharge.

I should add that we took the rate with ZERO perks. The reduced supplement was not available on any of the packages containing perks. We could have easily purchased just one drink package along the way.

Are you signed up to monitor to solo pricing thread here on CC? That’s how I was notified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the u.k you cant book oceanview or above without the 2 drinks packages even if you book on the Celebrity website unless its a re positioning cruise.

So sounds like a U.K only problem?

Could be - and I by no means am an authority on this - but from what I understand the different booking policies with the UK may be influenced by UK Government based travel industry policies? If that is accurate, Celebrity may have it's hands tied with this.

Again - only based on what I have heard and not any direct knowledge. Perhaps others can correct or confirm.

Not all celebrity sailings are double pricing for solo. I just got off equinox and paid approximately 10% more for a solo balcony cabin. I was traveling with a girlfriend and we each felt that the low single supplement(less than $100 each to have a private room) was the best route for us. That way we each had our own space, bed, and bath to get ready. It worked out perfectly and I’d do it again in a minute. The lack of solo supplement was the swaying factor for us in choosing celebrity and I’m SO glad we did !!

I would agree that MOST celebrity sailings have the full 100% supplement price tag but can testify first hand that not ALL sailings come with the solo surcharge.

I should add that we took the rate with ZERO perks. The reduced supplement was not available on any of the packages containing perks. We could have easily purchased just one drink package along the way.

Are you signed up to monitor to solo pricing thread here on CC? That’s how I was notified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow you had a good deal.

I see you put the price in dollars so is something again available in th U.S but have not seen it ever in the U.K.

Talk to a travel agent. You might be running into one of those website problems which is preventing you from booking what you want
Hi

Tried all travel agents and the awful Celebrity website.

Its not possible to book without including 2 drinks packages that pushes the price of ocean view and above way up.

Have even wrote to head of Celebrity U.K and was told they are not going to change this.

Have written again today.

Only way is to book with a U.S. travel agent and not sure how that would work being in the U.K ?

Could be - and I by no means am an authority on this - but from what I understand the different booking policies with the UK may be influenced by UK Government based travel industry policies? If that is accurate, Celebrity may have it's hands tied with this.

Again - only based on what I have heard and not any direct knowledge. Perhaps others can correct or confirm.

This problem I have only come across on Celebrity cruises, I can book other cruise lines without this problem and have sailed in balcony cabins with no problem.

NCL recently had the same policy but has now changed and you can have the drinks or a cheaper price depending on what you prefer so its just a policy of Celebrity against solo cruisers.

This problem I have only come across on Celebrity cruises, I can book other cruise lines without this problem and have sailed in balcony cabins with no problem.

NCL recently had the same policy but has now changed and you can have the drinks or a cheaper price depending on what you prefer so its just a policy of Celebrity against solo cruisers.

Well that does seam unfair, but I would not think it an intentional policy against solo cruisers. It may just be the way their system handles solo bookings. The solo rate up charge may be driven by a simple multiple of the per person rate that cannot / does not subtract the perk value included with one from the second. I agree it doesn't seem right but that may be all it is? Maybe call Celebrity and ask why it is that way and if it can be adjusted.

You also can't gamble twice as much, or book twice as many shore excursions – so I suspect the reason behind the policy is that Celebrity doesn't really want to encourage solo travelers to take up cabins they think they can sell to couples. Their ships, their rules. If that's a bad business decision, they will have empty cabins and drop the single supplement to fill them.

I agree I can drink the non alcholic part of the package but cant drink enough to get value for paying for 2 packages.

Why as a solo cruiser cant they knock the price of one package off the price?

Most Celebrity cruises are sold this way in the U.K except transatlantic cruises and a few re positioning cruises.

I travel solo, suites, and regularly just buy one drinks package (never two) once I've booked the cruise, so I'm not sure what you mean. I've never been required to buy two, but when i do take the "go best" package I get $300 rather than just $150, so no complaints here. It would be nice for me if Celebrity's market share weakened enough that they needed to reduce the solo supplement, but that's generally not the case.

In the UK, is the drink package the only option when you book with just 1 "perk" or could you choose the OBC instead? If you can pick the OBC and get the full $300USD, I would got that route since the classic non-alcoholic drink package would less than $150USD and that would at least leave you with the rest as spending money.

I travel solo, suites, and regularly just buy one drinks package (never two) once I've booked the cruise, so I'm not sure what you mean. I've never been required to buy two, but when i do take the "go best" package I get $300 rather than just $150, so no complaints here. It would be nice for me if Celebrity's market share weakened enough that they needed to reduce the solo supplement, but that's generally not the case.
Hi

Its seems like a U.K only thing. If you upgrade from inside you get 2 so called free classic drinks packages.

Nothing is free so inside cabin i am looking at booking is 2000 pounds balcony is 4000 pound as 2 expensive drinks packages included and cant be removed.

Excange rate is currently about 1.3

I agree that the single supplement sucks, but I understand the logic. A couple would spend more on excursions, drinks, shops, etc. What gets me is the double charge on cruisetours. The hotel or train is not charging double and I'm not eating double, so why charge me twice as much?

On the positive side, I got double OBC as a perk of a promo! And, we get double points!

Pick cruises that fit your budget and enjoy! Happy sailing !

In the UK, is the drink package the only option when you book with just 1 "perk" or could you choose the OBC instead? If you can pick the OBC and get the full $300USD, I would got that route since the classic non-alcoholic drink package would less than $150USD and that would at least leave you with the rest as spending money.
Currently only offer and no choice every cabin except inside gets 2 drinks packages a 2 wifi packages even if solo, however if a 3rd person in cabin you get a extra soft drinks package as they presume its a child and a third wifi package, no choice you cant change or remove it.

Been that way for a long time but the wifi is a new offer.

I agree that the single supplement sucks, but I understand the logic. A couple would spend more on excursions, drinks, shops, etc. What gets me is the double charge on cruisetours. The hotel or train is not charging double and I'm not eating double, so why charge me twice as much?

On the positive side, I got double OBC as a perk of a promo! And, we get double points!

Pick cruises that fit your budget and enjoy! Happy sailing !

Oh double points

Yes but you have to ask for them as the lovely celebrity i.t. system cant cope that your solo.

Done 3 celebrity cruise and been given single points each time till i complained.

Celebrity ships are fantastic, they have the best crew, the best shows etc that I have cruised with but the marketing department and i.t. department is awful.

We pay as solo passengers for 2 people at least give us the points for 2 people.

Have you checked that you actually got the points after the cruise??

Hi

Its seems like a U.K only thing. If you upgrade from inside you get 2 so called free classic drinks packages.

Nothing is free so inside cabin i am looking at booking is 2000 pounds balcony is 4000 pound as 2 expensive drinks packages included and cant be removed.

Excange rate is currently about 1.3

You aren’t looking at this the way celebrity is. You are not being forced to purchase 2 drink packages. You are booking a cruise line/room/rate that includes perks. True, you cannot use the double perk, but you also aren’t paying full price for the perks. In my experience booking 2 per cabin, a balcony cabin costing double per person over an inside is pretty typical. So to get a balcony cabin for double the cost of an inside, with the drink package included, isn’t a bad deal to me. This is how celebrity prices now. Plenty of people, even two per cabin, who don’t drink at all feel the same way. It’s not a ‘solo rip off’

In the US, at least, as the sailing gets closer the typically offer guarantee cabin bookings that do not include the perks, maybe wait and see if those are offered on this sailing to you. But I don’t think you’ll find that the discounted price will be the price you are looking at minus 2 full price drink packages. Because with the promo rate you aren’t paying for 2 full price drink packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you tried booking by phone rather than online? There may be greater flexibility in terms of the promos...

bon voyage

Tried phone internet travel agents even head of Celebrity u.k.

If your solo you not only have to pay double for the cabin ( and that i understand) but currently you have to buy 2 drinks packages and 2 wifi packages also!

Or be stuck with an inside cabin