Hubby & Wife Getaway - Things To Do (Saint Greg? Anyone?)

Luv06012012

Hello,

Soooooo....hubby and I are taking an unexpected quick birthday getaway to NOLA very soon! We are leaving in 2 1/2 weeks and neither of us have ever been to NOLA. We are SO excited!!!! This was totally a spur of the moment decision. We locked in our flight and we have a reservation at Royal Sonesta. Other than that, no clue what we should do to make the most of our four days here (besides eat tons of good food...yum). Side note, I have Plantar Fasciitis and am having surgery for it late August. I can walk, but excessive walking is a problem.

Here are my questions:

Food

Researching this thread, I see repeat recommendations for: Galatoires, Commander's Palace, Acme, Brennans, Café Du monde. Any other suggestions? One of us is a seafood lover, the other is not so we want to balance our options. Hubby is looking forward to good authentic Cajun food. What is in walking distance from the Royal Sonesta?

Sightseeing/Tours

Since we only have four days, what would you tell us not to miss? There is so much to see and do. Since we are staying on Bourbon street, that will be easy to check off. Are any of the tours inexpensive? Paddle boat tour? Cemetaries? Are any of these tours inexpensive?

Transportation

We are not renting a car so I'm wondering what is the cheapest mode of transportation for things that are not in walking distance? I see mention of the street cars...where do they go? Do they run all day/night? Cheapest transportation to/from airport?

Birthday & Souvenirs

It's hubby's birthday the day we arrive...any recommendations on places that would make it special? What piece of NOLA can I take home with me for our kids, etc.? Any treats or special things that are NOLA specific?

Sorry to ask so much...I'm researching these boards and you know how it is when it's a place you've never been. Trying to make the most of our four days. Thank you in advance!!! xoxo :kiss-mark:

Food - Hmmm on authentic Cajun food. New Orleans is not really Cajun. For that you need to drive a couple hours west. Maybe try Mulate's or Grand Isle. That would be close.

Tours - Maybe try Free Tours by Foot. We did a couple of their cemetery tours. Really good and pay them what you think. Paddle wheel tour on the Natchez. Ride the street car all the way down St. Charles through the Garden District. Ghost tour in the Quarter.

Transportation - Use Uber or Lyft. I think it's $36 from the airport to the Quarter. About the same for a taxi.

Memorable meal - Try Commander's Palace.