Crazy crazy prices !

lovescarborough

I have just opened an email from one of the main online travel agencies here in the U.K. offering 'deals ' on the Edge in the Med for 2019. Deals look good with drinks packages and unlimited internet included but prices left me speechless ! Inside cabins for a 10 night trip from £1899 pp, cheapest balcony £3056pp, Aqua class £4007 and the lovely Iconic suite only £26057 pp. This is from Southampton so no flights included. The itinerary is not brilliant either. Who is going to pay these crazy prices?

I agree - they look totally ridiculous. Hope the cabins don't sell so we can pick up some last minute bargains. I've noticed that the Southampton sailings for all of the Celebrity ships seem well over priced. I guess only time will tell!

I have just opened an email from one of the main online travel agencies here in the U.K. offering 'deals ' on the Edge in the Med for 2019. Deals look good with drinks packages and unlimited internet included but prices left me speechless ! Inside cabins for a 10 night trip from £1899 pp, cheapest balcony £3056pp, Aqua class £4007 and the lovely Iconic suite only £26057 pp. This is from Southampton so no flights included. The itinerary is not brilliant either. Who is going to pay these crazy prices?

I had the same e-mail and also the same reaction:)

These seem the catalog prices. I always saw "impossible" prices on catalogs (and behind the door in hotels).

Real prices are different. Wait the first official cruise of Edge, so the risk will be lowered. And remember: never pay catalog prices.

It's not just Celebrity smoking the price dream pipe. I was looking for a local cruise for next fall sailing from LA. Either a 7 day Mexico or Pacific Coastal. NCL is moving one of thier new ships here so I took a peak at prices and nearly shot whisky out my nose. For a decent balcony cabin after taxes it was over $4k for a 7 day MEXICO cruise. The cabin prices were a little high but then they hit you with nearly $300 in gratuities for the beverage/meal package. That's freaking nuts. First it's NCL, second it's the Mexican Riviera. What the hell are they thinking. I guess I'll be the idiot if this thing fills up at those prices. Celebrities prices for a 9 day Pacific Coastal in Aqua class is about $250 more. But I can do the brand new Carnival Panorama in a balcony for just over $2k and buy the bevy package for another 1K. To me the best deal here is still the Celebrity, sure it's the most expensive but it's Aqua class and 9 days instead of 7, plus a better itinerary.

It's not just Celebrity smoking the price dream pipe. I was looking for a local cruise for next fall sailing from LA. Either a 7 day Mexico or Pacific Coastal. NCL is moving one of thier new ships here so I took a peak at prices and nearly shot whisky out my nose. For a decent balcony cabin after taxes it was over $4k for a 7 day MEXICO cruise. The cabin prices were a little high but then they hit you with nearly $300 in gratuities for the beverage/meal package. That's freaking nuts. First it's NCL, second it's the Mexican Riviera. What the hell are they thinking. I guess I'll be the idiot if this thing fills up at those prices. Celebrities prices for a 9 day Pacific Coastal in Aqua class is about $250 more. But I can do the brand new Carnival Panorama in a balcony for just over $2k and buy the bevy package for another 1K. To me the best deal here is still the Celebrity, sure it's the most expensive but it's Aqua class and 9 days instead of 7, plus a better itinerary.

We looked at that one too. Princess is less than half the cost of Bliss for MR.

We booked the 11 night Greek Island Cruise (Sep. 9, 2019) while on board the Infinity in Feb. 2018. We booked an infinite veranda cabin (E4) and paid approx. $3700 pp. I went on line to Celebrity’s website yesterday and the same accommodation is now priced at $5499 pp. What is going on? I presume the price will drop if they don’t fill the cabins.

Larry

We booked the 11 night Greek Island Cruise (Sep. 9, 2019) while on board the Infinity in Feb. 2018. We booked an infinite veranda cabin (E4) and paid approx. $3700 pp. I went on line to Celebrity’s website yesterday and the same accommodation is now priced at $5499 pp. What is going on? I presume the price will drop if they don’t fill the cabins.

Larry

Wow $1,799 increase but look at my Silhouette 03/15/19 GC+ABC I booked on July 17 now it has increased $2,240, but the Eclipse to Hawaii 09/22/19 booked on Dec/17 has dropped $1,860,

supply and demand.

On Reflection we went to a presentation of the edge and then went straight to future cruises to see if we could book, the price we were quoted for 7 night med cruise was more than £6600.00 (cannot remember exact figure)for Aqua class, with flights, transfer etc the cruise would have come to at least £7000. A £1000 per night! We have booked a villa holiday for a quarter of the price.

Hi, posted this on the Edge forum a week ago re prices. I hope it is ok to post the same again but I thought that it fitted in with this discussion. Not sure what is happening with prices at the minute but perhaps they are so high so that Celebrity can say (in a few months) that there are massive discounts on prices ... I'm not cynical really ...

Post on Closer to the Edge thread:

At the end of April we booked an 11 night cruise on Edge for next August (have to go peak season and it is our 25th anniversary so wanted something special). We booked an E2 IV cabin and were given a Classic Drinks package as a perk. We have booked a 3 night stay in the Empire Palace Rome before the cruise, both flights and all 3 private transfers with Celebrity.

The cost we pay is £7,865, though the TA gave us a discount of £260 off that. ($10,137 minus discount of $335)

Have just priced it up again (August 2018) and at the moment with the free drinks package and free WiFi the same holiday is coming out at £9,585 !!!! ($12,355)

That is some price increase in such a short time !!!!!! clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

And we thought that the original was expensive !

Add their high prices to a 35% exchange for Canadians and it's becoming darn depressing.

Yep...the Caribbean cruise prices are outrageous...I'd rather pay for the "funship" to cruise eastern or western. Land vacation for us next year.

We looked at that one too. Princess is less than half the cost of Bliss for MR.

We booked the Bliss for this Oct and it was spendy but it's about $1k less than they want next year. Booked a mini-suite, total with all thier stupid gratuities and stuff was $3600. Better be a damn nice ship!

I think they need to raise prices to pay for all the new builds/"Improvements" they are making. So what? Your problem, we didn't ask for any of them.

Reminds me of a piano tuner we had - charged the same price for years - next visit it was almost double. We asked "why?" she said "oh, I bought myself a Mercedes and I have to pay it off" - are you KIDDING me? Not our problem! Never used her again.

• Like 1

Edge is new, and people want to be on the new ship and try the new experience. I'll wait until the first wave of "new" goes through and then see if it's more reasonable :) (Especially since as I travel solo, I pay double -- those prices are nuts right now!!!)

Prices across the fleet have been crazy lately. We've been watching the cruise prior to ours on Silly. Right now the price for Aqua is $500 more per person for a 9 night than our cruise is for a 12 night. Add to that our cruise prices have gone up $400 per person since we booked. This is the first X cruise in a long time that has seen not a single price drop and has steadily risen since we booked. Prices for next year are higher than we've ever seen before. X need to consider that they aren't the only vacation choice around.

Prices across the fleet have been crazy lately. We've been watching the cruise prior to ours on Silly. Right now the price for Aqua is $500 more per person for a 9 night than our cruise is for a 12 night. Add to that our cruise prices have gone up $400 per person since we booked. This is the first X cruise in a long time that has seen not a single price drop and has steadily risen since we booked. Prices for next year are higher than we've ever seen before. X need to consider that they aren't the only vacation choice around.

We booked our 1/19 Caribbean last year aboard ship. Paid little over $4000 for a 1B. Few weeks ago was almost $7000.