military discount alert

39august

There is a military discount on Equinox July 6 and July 13, 2019. It took a sizable amount off our two cruises. BTW. do we need to show the DD214 at check-in?

Thank you for your service. I've never been asked for it. But I do carry a copy (blacked out my SSN) with my passport just in case.

Military discount is a contentious point on Celebrity ships. It only applies to USA and Canadian Armed Forces yet the cruise line operates all around the world. It is in my view because it is so narrow very discrimatory. Princess on the other hand do give military OBC to a far wider section of the International ex military. I have raised the issue with Celebrity and asked why and how it was arrived at and as usual got discounts in one area are not necessary available in another. Pretty poor show

Military discount is a contentious point on Celebrity ships. It only applies to USA and Canadian Armed Forces yet the cruise line operates all around the world. It is in my view because it is so narrow very discrimatory. Princess on the other hand do give military OBC to a far wider section of the International ex military. I have raised the issue with Celebrity and asked why and how it was arrived at and as usual got discounts in one area are not necessary available in another. Pretty poor show

Canada has a military?! like, other than the Mounties?! learn something new everyday on CC....

:-)

Unless one has served one does not have the right to disrespect those who have. To my Canadian brothers and sisters thank you for your service

touchy touchy...that was actually a "stupid American" mimic rather than a disrespect of anyone's service...

"Canada for President"! ( check it out on youtube!!)

There is a military discount on Equinox July 6 and July 13, 2019. It took a sizable amount off our two cruises. BTW. do we need to show the DD214 at check-in?

Only occasionally asked to show it, but good to have along just in case.

A photocopy is acceptable, so no need to bring the original.

We just keep a copy in our carry-on bag along with other documents we might need.

Some of those military discounts can be really good deals, while others times it is just the same as the regular price without the perks.

We looked at a couple of military prices recently where they give you the discounted price without the perks, and then offer the option of adding on perks for an additional charge.

But when we do that, sometimes the price goes right back up to the original non-discounted price with the perks included. :eek:

So we need to do the math each time we take any kind of discounted rate, not just assume that it will work the same way it did the last time we booked that way.

Edited by fleckle

Celebrity UK accept a Blue Light Card which is available to armed services, emergency services and health service and gives a 10% discount but can only be used by booking direct with X on phone not on board or via a TA. The card costs £5 and as we saved £400 on our forthcoming Millenium Cruise is well worth it.

Did not know celebrity had a military discount, we did get a 10 percent discount for our msc yacht club cruise next year, I have a copy of my dd214 which I can email

Thank you for your service. When I book with a TA I always have to ask for the military discount. When we book a future cruise while on board I've always been asked if either my wife or I are veterans. The discount has always been $50.00.

The discount is pretty good - but do note that the discount (military or residency)tends to remove the perks (beverage package, etc.) and the cost of including them again usually brings it back up to the price before the discount. The cost of adding them later tends to be far higher than the fare when they are thrown in.

Will they accept a state veteran ID Card? The following is on the Veteran ID Card.:branch of service ; date of service & discharge status.

Thank you for your service. I'd call the Captains Club desk and ask. FWIW I have never been asked to provide a copy of my DD214.

Edited by davekathy

I have read this before. But I did not lose the two perks I had. Perhaps that is because the discount was applied to an already booked cruise which was booked on board last December.

Same here on any of our past, present (September 2018) and future cruises.

We have received many military discounts on Celebrity. Only once have we been asked (upon checking into Ft Lauderdale) for proof of military service. No problem, pulled out retired ID card & were given an additional $100 OBC

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have received many military discounts on Celebrity. Only once have we been asked (upon checking into Ft Lauderdale) for proof of military service. No problem, pulled out retired ID card & were given an additional $100 OBC

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your service. I've never received an OBC for being a veteran. Only a small discount when booking.

We hadn’t either, it was quite nice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've received a veterans OBC from Princess. It would be nice if Celebrity and Royal Caribbean did. But more importantly it's about the acknowledgment by the cruise lines more than the dollars. Either way I appreciate it.

In reading all of this I am left wondering, is the military discount for currently serving? retired military? and/or anyone who served and earned an honorable discharge? Just wondering because my own military service was very brief. It took a few months of reserve meetings and summer camp for the Army to realize I really had destroyed my knee while in college....my only "active duty" was 14 days of summer camp. Never even made it to boot camp let alone AIT or real service.

Thank you for your service. I've never received an OBC for being a veteran. Only a small discount when booking.

"Thank you for your service" is disingenuous. I served in uniform for 30 years and find the constant "thank you" disrespectful and a legacy from the invasion of Iraq. If really "thankful" do something for those currently servicing, like donations to a real fund supporting service members and families.

"Veterans" do not usually qualify for discounts which are usually limited to retirees and active duty.

"Veterans" do not usually qualify for discounts which are usually limited to retirees and active duty.

I'd always thought that to be appropriate. My own service was relatively peaceful. I'm proud to have served but I got my education from it and that's enough for me. I agree with the need for concrete support as well. Folds of Honor and Wounded Warriors have been my choices.

"Thank you for your service" is disingenuous. I served in uniform for 30 years and find the constant "thank you" disrespectful and a legacy from the invasion of Iraq. If really "thankful" do something for those currently servicing, like donations to a real fund supporting service members and families.

Lighten up Francis! That's your opinion. Giving thanks is not disingenuous from me! BTW I also say "welcome home to all my Vietnam Veteran Brothers".

Edited by davekathy

You do get Military discount in the UK as well as Blue Light discount