Captain Nick

Ontario Cruiser

Captain Leo was on the Summit during the 14 night NE cruise when Captain Kate started her first assignment as a Captain. She came on board during the cruise that Capt Leo was doing and then took over. They were the captains for the Summit until Capt Leo left for a S Class ship. I think it was for the Eclipse.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I'm not being snarky.

Can somebody explain why you care so much about who is the captain? They are ALL 'safe drivers '. Beyond that, what is the reason? I just don't get it.

Maybe it's because we sail in the cheap seats, or that we aren't even Select, let alone Elite. We've been on Celebrity 4 times with 40+ days, and never had anything to do with any captain. Except when leaving the ship - the "Thank you" is a nice touch - and when the captain does the morning ship report (often with an accent that is hard to understand and a less than ideal PA system.)

In our history of 25+ plus cruises on six different cruise lines, we've never had any exposure to the captain or any other officer (except my very first cruise as a single 32 year old woman where I hooked up with the Italian First Officer -which led to a 1.5 year relationship and a great trip to Italy).

I get the high interest level in the identity of the CD, but I just don't get it with the captain. Can somebody explain it to me, please?

I'm not being snarky.

Can somebody explain why you care so much about who is the captain? They are ALL 'safe drivers '. Beyond that, what is the reason? I just don't get it.

Maybe it's because we sail in the cheap seats, or that we aren't even Select, let alone Elite. We've been on Celebrity 4 times with 40+ days, and never had anything to do with any captain. Except when leaving the ship - the "Thank you" is a nice touch - and when the captain does the morning ship report (often with an accent that is hard to understand and a less than ideal PA system.)

In our history of 25+ plus cruises on six different cruise lines, we've never had any exposure to the captain or any other officer (except my very first cruise as a single 32 year old woman where I hooked up with the Italian First Officer -which led to a 1.5 year relationship and a great trip to Italy).

I get the high interest level in the identity of the CD, but I just don't get it with the captain. Can somebody explain it to me, please?

In my opinion, it’s the time that they take to actually mingle with the passengers. I think it’s great to see them around the ship talking to people. Captain Leo was the first one I ever noticed doing this and it was really neat! I know that Captain Kate does as well and we are looking forward to sailing with her next month. On some cruises I couldn’t even tell you who our Captain was! It’s the little extras that they do that stands out for me!

In my opinion, it’s the time that they take to actually mingle with the passengers. I think it’s great to see them around the ship talking to people. Captain Leo was the first one I ever noticed doing this and it was really neat! I know that Captain Kate does as well and we are looking forward to sailing with her next month. On some cruises I couldn’t even tell you who our Captain was! It’s the little extras that they do that stands out for me!

I second your comment. We were on the last Bermuda cruise of the summer season a few years ago when Captain Kate joined in mid-cruise, if I remember correctly she was taking over after the next cruise. Both Captain Leo and Captain Kate were often walking around the ship with friendly smiles and could be found sitting in Cafe Al Bacio during the evening.

We were on the Silhouette last winter, for 7 nights, will be back this winter for a 9 night cruise. I have no idea who the Captain was when we cruised, and I found that the senior staff were always on their phones and never seemed to make eye contact with the passengers. One afternoon I almost had the feeling that the phone was being used as a prop to avoid interacting with the passengers.

That is why many people remember Captains Leo and Kate, and often don't remember other captains.

Our last cruise in may was with captain Leo. While we did see him walking around, that was about it. I guess he was at Elite events and stuff - I think I saw him in Michaels Club, he made no impression on us. Just like every other captain in 25+ cruises.

Capt Leo as most of the captains on X are very friendly and make their presence known during the cruise by constantly mingling with the passengers thru out the ship.

Do the captains make a difference? We learned that they do. I have been on other cruise lines and none of them are like the captains on X that are always being socialable. And ask any of the crew members if they make a difference. The Captain is the manager of the ship and if the crew isn’t happy the passengers suffer.

The same goes with the CD. If you have a bad or one you don’t like the cruise won’t be enjoyable.

Until I started sailing with X the only time I had seen the Captain was at the Captain/officer party.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMHO: The Captain really sets the tone for Officers and Crew. I've seen the difference on the same ship with different Captains. On one B2B there was a change of Captains and the changes were noticeable to me. As a frequent Celebrity cruiser the Captain really makes a difference to me in terms of how my DW and I are treated. Captain Nick is one of the most genuine people I've ever met. A real treat to be on a ship with him.

Capt Nick is really nice. We were ordering a coffee at Cafe al Bacio and he was behind us. We offered for him to go ahead and he refused and then offered to buy our coffee.

Capt Alex is another one that stands out. I am sure that there are many others but we haven’t cruised with them.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅