Alaska air travel from ATLANTA

plagmah

We just booked an Alaska cruise for June 7 2019 on Millennium. We live in Atlanta. I want to book air travel, and was hoping for direct flights. (expecting actually)

I can't see any direct flights for next June, only connecting. When i search this summer, there are direct flights listed for both ways. Vancouver and Anchorage. :confused:

Will Delta add its direct flights as next summer approaches? Or is it possible they are not doing any direct flights?

I will admit, living in the Hub of the worlds largest airline...I am spoiled and DONT do connections. :p

Thanks!!

Hhhmm, when we went to Alaska from ATL on Delta a 5 years ago, we had to change in Minneapolis.

That was an open jawed flight ATL to Anchorage, Vancouver to ATL home. I don't remember any direct Delta flights at that time - and I'm the flightmeister in our group. If there was a direct flight, either the time was off or it wouldn't fit open jawed.

I assumed it was because Delta had something of a hub in Minnesota, is that still the case?

Yes, they probably will. Or some other airline will.

AND booking so far in advance means you should accept that schedule changes will occur. I'm fact, I would count on it. Earlier this year, we cancelled a cruise because because United changed the schedule and length of leftover. Before final payment of cruise, thank goodness. And yes, United refunded the entire cost on a non-refundable cheap seat because it was THEIR chabge, not ours.E

but those schedule changes are usually quite small.

Hhhmm, when we went to Alaska from ATL on Delta a 5 years ago, we had to change in Minneapolis.

That was an open jawed flight ATL to Anchorage, Vancouver to ATL home. I don't remember any direct Delta flights at that time - and I'm the flightmeister in our group. If there was a direct flight, either the time was off or it wouldn't fit open jawed.

I assumed it was because Delta had something of a hub in Minnesota, is that still the case?

Delta has a hub in MSP. But they currently have an ATL - Vancouver flight daily at 9:00 AM and a Red Eye from ANC to ATL

We have flown to/from anchorage twice. Once for a cruise and last Sunday for a do-it-yourself land trip. We found the non-stop flights were not available/posted until about September for the following summer. Also they are seasonal and start at the end of May and end in early September.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have flown to/from anchorage twice. Once for a cruise and last Sunday for a do-it-yourself land trip. We found the non-stop flights were not available/posted until about September for the following summer. Also they are seasonal and start at the end of May and end in early September.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excellent....I kind of thought that might be the case. I really want direct back from ANC. (yn)

We found a direct flight from Atlanta to Vancouver (our cruise left from Vancouver). I was told that direct ATL to Vancouver flights run about once a week. Our return flight out of Anchorage stopped over in Seattle.

If you are flexible on dates, like if you have pre or post cruise plans that you can add or take away days, check out what is available for several days.

We just did this cruise last month and also live in Atlanta. This year there was one direct flight to Anchorage and one direct flight to Vancouver. The Anchorage flight seems seasonal so it may not show up for a while. That said depending on where you are starting that may or may not work for you. We started in Anchorage and the direct flight didn't leave until late in the day arriving in Anchorage in the evening. Since we work we were trying to maximize our time and thus opted for Alaska airlines through Seattle that left in the morning. The direct return flight from Vancouver on Delta was a red eye. We decided immediately that wasn't going to work. So once again we opted for a connecting flight through Seattle this time on Delta. Going through Seattle definitely gives you more flexibility on times/options. If you fly Alaska you can also go through Portland. We flew a mix of Alaska and Delta as we were using miles. While I love Delta if you are going first we thought Alaska was better on the service/catering side of it.

Its a great cruise! Have fun!

Try Alaskan Airlines. We flew out of Hartsfield round trip to Seattle this summer. We were able to get first class for less $$ than extended legroom on Delta. Wonderful flight, good service, great breakfast! We are pretty loyal Delta customers (what else can you be living close to ATL), but were very pleased with Alaskan Air!!

We just did this cruise last month and also live in Atlanta. This year there was one direct flight to Anchorage and one direct flight to Vancouver. The Anchorage flight seems seasonal so it may not show up for a while. That said depending on where you are starting that may or may not work for you. We started in Anchorage and the direct flight didn't leave until late in the day arriving in Anchorage in the evening. Since we work we were trying to maximize our time and thus opted for Alaska airlines through Seattle that left in the morning. The direct return flight from Vancouver on Delta was a red eye. We decided immediately that wasn't going to work. So once again we opted for a connecting flight through Seattle this time on Delta. Going through Seattle definitely gives you more flexibility on times/options. If you fly Alaska you can also go through Portland. We flew a mix of Alaska and Delta as we were using miles. While I love Delta if you are going first we thought Alaska was better on the service/catering side of it.

Its a great cruise! Have fun!

Thanks for the information. We are doing cruise only and the Vancouver flight arrives at noon so that works, The Anchorage Red Eye will work for us also. A little Ambien and eye mask and they will have to wake me on ATL approach. We picked Vancouver as the starting point, because it seemed difficult to make the ship same day from ANC.

Alaska Air looks nice, and currently has good prices. I am going to try to do this on Delta Skymiles unless the price is EXTREMELY low. ie less than 400 each.

Leaving Friday on the direct flight from Atlanta to Vancouver. Booked as soon as the flight was posted. Keep watching

BINGO.... Please give a report on how everything goes. ie transfer to port, travel time etc. When did it post last year?

I have been watching the flight on my aircraft tracking software daily. Looks like it arrives 20-30 minutes early most days, Ill be honest... the 4 hour window makes me nervous. I don't like to rush....but I see that Celebrity Air books the flight so they must not have many issues, Enjoy the cruise.

There are several possibilities as to why the ATL-YVR and/or ANC-ATL non-stops on DL are not currently bookable - A) they have not yet been loaded in to the system B) as they are summer only, seasonal flights, one or both may not be offered that early in the summer season C) The flights may only operate on selected days and not run daily D) Delta may choose not to offer one or both of them in 2019 and instead choose to flow passengers over another hub (MSP, SLC, LAX, SEA).

In any case Delta would only have one daily non-stop flight to/from ATL and either Vancouver or Anchorage, and the flights are usually quite pricey. Delta would be the ONLY airline that would operate these routes as non-stops. All other carriers would require a connection somewhere.

Thanks for the information. We are doing cruise only and the Vancouver flight arrives at noon so that works, The Anchorage Red Eye will work for us also. A little Ambien and eye mask and they will have to wake me on ATL approach. We picked Vancouver as the starting point, because it seemed difficult to make the ship same day from ANC.

Alaska Air looks nice, and currently has good prices. I am going to try to do this on Delta Skymiles unless the price is EXTREMELY low. ie less than 400 each.

I agree that it would be difficult and probably very stressful to make the ship the same day from ANC. It is probably doable, but also isn't really how you want to start your vacation. We spent a few nights in ANC and then a night in Seward pre-cruise.

We used SkyMiles for the Delta leg and used my DH's AA miles for Alaska (although I believe they have since discontinued their partnership). It was a great way to use up the AA miles so we don't have to fly them again. The ANC to ATL flight wouldn't be bad as a redeye as its long enough. I did the red eye from LA to ATL once and that was enough. No one at work wants me coming in after only 4 hours of sleep. :) That was our main issue with the Vancouver to ATL direct flight.

Avoiding SEA would be a plus in my book if you can swing it. I know people complain about ATL but it is really well designed, just big. The SEA airport is under construction on several concourses and it felt very crowded. Not even close to enough space for the volume of passengers. Hopefully it will be better once they finish their expansion.

As you said in your post we get very spoiled being able to fly almost direct anywhere. That said, lately we are finding it much cheaper flying to Europe with a connection through Amsterdam (KLM) or Paris (AF) versus flying direct on Delta.

It could be a seasonal schedule that has not shown up as of yet. Two weeks ago I flew the ATL-ANC flight and just got off the YVR-ATL flight today.

When did you book? What was the price range you paid, if you don’t mind me asking.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When did you book? What was the price range you paid, if you don’t mind me asking.

Thanks

I booked six months out. I was checking the prices daily a little before that and one day the prices fell well below $400pp/rt so booked the flight. Prices never were that low after that.

I booked six months out. I was checking the prices daily a little before that and one day the prices fell well below $400pp/rt so booked the flight. Prices never were that low after that.

Great info. Thanks! 400 is my price point to decide between SkyMiles and cash.