Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 35

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, August 27 and Sunday, September 2.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest. All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others.

Taken this morning in my yard

Canon 6D

Canon 70-200L f/4 IS @ f/4

1/1500

ISO-1250

+1 EC

On-camera HSS 1/16

hummer%2008272018-2%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Nice!! I really appreciate you including your settings. I'm new to non-point & shoot photography.What does

+1 EC

On-camera HSS 1/16 mean?

Nice!! I really appreciate you including your settings. I'm new to non-point & shoot photography.What does

+1 EC

On-camera HSS 1/16 mean?

Exposure compensation +1

High Speed Sync, set to manual at 1/16 power

Remember I'm constantly changing my settings as lighting changes so don't take my numbers to the bank ;)

Another birthday cake picture? Technically, last week’s cake was out of focus, so it was actually a picture of Jackie. The reason for the sort-of-repeat subject is that this small cupcake signals the end of August birthdays. Our local family’s cluster of August birthdays starts with a few at the beginning and then a wave on the 24th, 25th, 26th and the 29th. If you have a theory about human gestation stretching back to the Thanksgiving/Christmas season, save it. It was funny the first 100 times or so that we heard it but over the years, the stress of parties, presents and paying for it all has changed our wry chuckles to frowns or a raised eyebrow. We still love the celebrants, though. A lot.

Finish Line

p3048581153-5.jpg

Dave

I get a little bored - more like taking for granted - with the local birds that are here all summer long...because Florida's migrational season in fall and Spring, plus super-busy winter season, have so many more species. It's a thing that happens to wildlife photographers in Florida - we can still see 50-80 species of birds and reptiles in a 2-3 hour walk...which people in some other spots would kill for, and we just think 'eh, another heron/egret/stork/bittern/etc. Still, I try to photograph them if they're in nice light, or doing something interesting. I often end up shooting a lot more reptiles and bugs through the summer though, just to mix things up a bit:

Two white peacock butterflies together - they're here in the thousands right now - tiny little butterflies are mating now, which they do multiple times a year:

original.jpg

The hard to ignore sound of the grasshopper belies the fact that they're extremely difficult to actually spot - they tend to stop sawing their wings the moment anyone gets close - so you really have to stay a while and look close at every reed:

original.jpg

A bird that doesn't like to be spotted in the open - the secretive least bittern. This male was hunting through the deep reeds and figured he was safe from being spotted by 15 feet of reeds between he and I - but I managed to find some narrow slits in the reeds to thread the focus through and catch him:

original.jpg

A juvenile tricolor heron hanging out above the water:

original.jpg

Amazing construction, really strong well made hive - but don't get bit by these paper wasps as it's not a pleasant feeling. They get the name from the paper-like look, almost like Papier-mâché, of their hives:

original.jpg