Unnecessary Secrecy Around Alternate Dining Themes

MarkBearSF

AAARGH - Color me frustrated!

WHY do the themes for the themes for the Alternative Dining seem to be such a state secret to Cunard??

Besides the frustration in being unable to know what themes will be in advance of the voyage and thus, the inability to reserve in advance, the staff aboard don't seem to know one week to the next.

When boarding for our round-trip crossings, I went to the Maitre d' station to inquire and was taken to a phone to talk to the reservations operator to find out. (I made a reservation for Coriander Indian) I also asked what the schedule was for my return, and the operator had no information. Later in the week, when we were enjoying our meal, I asked the Maitre d' whether the next week's schedule was set. He replied that it was, and told me the schedule.

Today, I called down for reservations for tomorrow night for what I had expected would be Bamboo Asian - only to be told that the theme was Smokehouse for the middle three days and the last two (last formal/gala and final evening) would be Bamboo. (The reverse of what I had been told the previous week).

And there is no printed or displayed schedule. (Additionally, one day last week, the Daily Programme was inconsistent and listed two different themes for that evening in different places).

This is NOT a state secret. There is no good reason for this secrecy. I can only imagine that they might be more successful if more people knew what to expect.

It's broken, Cunard. Fix it.

Surprising.

One of the highlights of touring QUEEN ELIZABETH's grill galley (why only last week!) was seeing the detailed cruise menu "specs" for the entire voyage. These are posted along an entire section of bulkhead. Everything is decided, set and done and dusted weeks before each cruise with the head chef (at least in the grills) being the final decider of what is to be offered.

So it's surprising no one appears to know something rather more basic i.e. the lido speciality menu rotation. On QE it appeared to be one theme repeated over four nights.

But this galley tour was a real highpoint and very reassuring to know the attention, quality and a la minute quality of at least what one enjoys in the Grills. Very impressive indeed.

Reconnaissance complete. I just checked. No schedule posted at the C stairway entrance, or next to it.

To summarize:

- Upon arrival last Sunday, I went to that exact area and asked for the Maitre d' for info on the schedule. Someone came by after a minute or two, said he didn't know and promptly called the res line. Asking at the line about the following week's schedule, I was told by the agent that she didn't know, but to check back this week.

- On Tuesday of that week, when dining there, I asked the Maitre 'd who confidently gave me incorrect information.

- Acting on that information, I called and was told of my mistake.

- Nothing was posted and no overall schedule was published. (However, on one day last week, the programme incorrectly listed Italian in one section and Indian on another.)

Adding to this, the friendly agent was not the best at phone communication. Each time, I needed to rephrase questions to get a reply. Example - today when trying to book for Bamboo tomorrow, I was told that it was Smokehouse tomorrow. Bamboo would be on the 21st and 22nd. Trying to remember the date after many days aboard, I asked "So, that's last Formal and Informal nights, right?" and the only reply was to restate that "Bamboo is on the 21st and the 22nd."

Not my idea of clear communication and effective promotion. And yes, the schedule is clearly known to the menu planners and buyers.

- Mark

Reconnaissance complete. I just checked. No schedule posted at the C stairway entrance, or next to it. ...

There was a video screen that displayed the Kings Court alternative dining schedule during our recent June voyages on QM2. It was on the port side of deck 7 and as best I can recall it was near the B lifts. But the problem is it's not a permanent video display of the schedule. Rather the schedule is just one of many mostly advertising pages that cycle through on that screen. If it's not displaying that dining schedule page when you happen to go past it, you might have to wait several minutes for it to make its next appearance.

I agree with your point that Cunard could certainly do a better job of communicating the alternative dining schedule and there's really no excuse for the runaround and misinformation you received about that schedule.

Edited by bluemarble

Yes. Like the sign in the Grand Lobby which I pass at least four times daily. On which I have not seen a schedule. Not that I wait to see what may be displayed, and I may simply be unlucky, I must also admit that I do not pay much attention to it because all I've noticed are advertisements like those on the single sheet insert to the Daily Programme which I throw away daily.

- Mark