Guest speakers & celebrity encounters

Bennybluehat

Our only celebrity cruise ship encounter was with Susan Anton (a Dudley Moore Ex) over a decade ago on a long Royal Caribbean cruise out of Miami. We were in signature suite opposite the one occupied by Ms Anton (which had a grand piano) and we quickly became acquainted. In short, her accompanist came down with the flu and my wife volunteered my services to Susan as I'd been a performing musician for four decades. She accepted, and I spent about four hours in rehearsal with her over two days. Her pianist recovered and played for her two concerts toward the end of the week. During the last one, she unexpectedly asked me to accompany her on one song (The Beatles "In My Life) which was incredibly kind of her. She is a lovely woman with a charming voice.

As a former Hollywood TV Production company owner, I've encountered lots of celebs. The humble and grateful ones were nearly always friendly if not too busy corralling children or being followed around by tourists or paparazzi. The funniest encounter I've witnessed was in a Santa Monica, Calif., bank. My business partner, who was a major MTV personality years ago, and I were there to sign account signature cards. As we approached a teller, the young woman recognized my business partner and screamed, then shouting, "It's Beth! Oh, my God, it's Beth!" People in that area of the bank area immediately came to a halt and worriedly looked in our direction. Beth immediately laughed, and the teller was embarrassed when she realized what she had done. The branch manager came over, very concerned that we would be upset, but Beth's response was typical, "With a few thousand more fans like her, I'd have my own show." I would have thought bank employees in the LA area who see celebs all the time would be immune, but it was a good reminder that talented actors do make personal, one-on-one connections with people through TV and film. By all means, approach any celeb. If they don't respond warmly to you, it's their loss, not yours.

Celia Imrie was on QM2 and we were waiting for the lift with her. I said how much I liked her top (I do this to anyone) and after chatting for a minute or so I asked if I could take her picture. She suggested my husband took a picture of her and I together, which he did.

She was on the QM2 with us as well. Maybe the same voyage then ? It was a TA back-to-back but I can't recall the year now.

I walked past her in the corridor and thought "hmm, that looks like Celia Imrie" and then told Mrs Told about it. And then there she was in that evening's daily programme.

Also on the same trip I was stood next to Dr Ruth in the lift. I only knew because someone mentioned it after she's left the lift.

We once shared a table with a guest lecturer who was quite full of himself. He did come out with one comment we have not forgotten. He was a “colleague” of Steven Hawking at Cambridge and called him a “pain in the ass.” We had the distinct impression that the sentiment was returned.

Shuffleboard Dude is on point. We got to know one of the Deadliest Catch captains (cruise speaker) by accidentally sitting next to him at lunch. I love, love, love that show and worked hard not to fawn. We just talked about Alaska (where I had lived for a bit) and then had a nodding acquaintance for the rest of the cruise. Would I have loved a pic with him? YES. But did I ask? NO. . .because. . .

In a more embarrassing moment, I once asked a big rock-star in an airport if I could take his picture. He said yes but then said he wasn’t a monkey in a circus. I apologized, was empathetic and humiliated. And have never ASKED to take a pic since. If someone offers, that’s a different thing.

Now I just sing Joni Mitchell’s BE COOL in my head to avert celebrity disaster. My stock phrase? “I like your work”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember being on the QE2 and the Celeb on board was Robert Vaughn, Movie Star and Actor on The Man From UNCLE sitcom.

He acted very suave and personable with the Eileen the Social Hostess during a Q&A in the Qxs Room..

Well we as others on board passed him during the Evening and he was so rude and socially negative in his response and contact.

Just wanted to acknowledge his acting accomplishments but really was turned off by him..

We have seen others like Patti Lupone, Nell Carter to name a few and they were beautiful and truly down to earth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Oh My Lord - in all these years I had no idea The Man from UNCLE was a sitcom! xx [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our very first QM2 crossing was May 2012. The number of secret service folks we spotted on board was our first clue that George Bush (#41) and Barbara were on the crossing. We never met them but they did get their picture taken with the kennels attendant.

In May 2017- another crossing, we shared an elevator ride with Jamie Lee Curtis. At first I did not recognize her, but the voice was a dead giveaway.

On same 2012 crossing, another elevator encounter. A UK celebrity. We had no idea who he was. Upon his departure the other occupants (also UK) were mighty impressed and said as much.

Guess you never know who you will see on QM2 !

Oh My Lord - in all these years I had no idea The Man from UNCLE was a sitcom! xx [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Philsmum,

Sorry for my interpretation but I always thought it was humorous. Nothing to compare to I Spy or James Bond Sagas.

It does depend if they are on holiday or "working". If they are on board to do a talk, then I would expect them to be happy to chat.

We were on QE2 once when Sir Bernard Ingam was a speaker. We just happened to go for breakfast at the same time as him and his wife and shared a lift on many of the mornings. He never said a word to us. We put that down to him being from Yorkshire.

Are people from Yorkshire mute????

• 11 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 1:49 PM, Craigrlewis said:

Liz Dawn and Jimmy Saville on a cruise Queen Victoria Mediterranean 2009. Both kept themselves to themselves and people didnt tend to bother them

Jimmy Saville???
Yes, it's probably best to avoid interacting socially with predatory sex offenders.

We had the pleasure to have met from days gone by and even on most recent sailings,  many celebrity encounters.

From the USA and from "Across the Pond". Some did not mine being encountered and had pleasant conversations and even a photo. Some wanted not to be encountered.

We respect those that came for R & R like we booked our sailing for. 

11 hours ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Benny Blanco discussed his crossings on BBC Breakfast this morning, the first being with Ed Sheeran. 

And unfortunately (twice) he referred to his journey that he had just arrived in the UK by "a Boat" ( no mention of QM2) 

What was more unbelievable was the female interviewer who asked him where had he got off, Benny replied "in Southampton"

the BBC interviewer relied "Oh  cool, I didn't know one could get a 'Boat' from New York to Southampton "🤣

Which is ironic , as I understand 'BBC south' studios are in Southampton . 

Glad to see this thread bumped and re-started. On Queen Victoria from SF to Sydney last February,  I kept looking discreetly at a fellow passenger. She was travelling with a man I presumed to be her husband and two other women.  I finally approached her at an elevator.  

“Excuse me.. have you ever been told you look like the Canadian author Margaret Atwood?”

”I get that all the time,” she said

”well, the resemblance is remarkable,” I smiled

”it is because I AM Margaret Atwood”. Those eyes of hers twinkled.  

I tried not to go all fan-girl but thanked her for her work and advocacy for women. Then asked if she were enjoying the cruise. 

She thanked me, and asked if I were Canadian.  I said, “No, but I run an artists colony in California and know how many writers you have inspired.”

Then the elevator took her party up to the Queens’s Grill. 

My guess is she had just put her new book (out this week) to bed and was celebrating. A thrill for me!  

• Like 3

Well the best ships to meet anyone of " significance" is on board the Cunard Liners- ships! As for Celebrity´s - there was Emma Samms last year on board the QM2- former Dynasty star! Now a MBE she gave some nice speaches and an interview. Very nice lady- I chatted with her and many asked for a picture with her- that I did not- i just took a picture of HER- I have plenty of pictures of myself- and there is still the mirror...!

The ship historican John Maxton- Graham ( the only way to cross) was on several voyages- both with Cunard and Celebrity Cruises- a very nice gentleman.

On a crossing there was Micky Arison and his wife- he too, gave a QA in the Planetarium! Very interessting!

Edited by Germancruiser

I was on a crossing with Celia Imrie a few years ago, and ended up sat next to her in the Golden Lion one evening... Absolutely lovely lady and I had the most wonderful time chatting nonsense with her... Completely not what I was expecting. 

I knew a little of her, but not a lot, and having met her, when I got home, I watched more of her things and it always brings a smile to my face to see her in something now... 🙂

I have met many a celebrity whilst working onboard aircraft, and its all a bit old hat most of the time, but I am sure there will continue to be one or two who will steal the show! 

3 minutes ago, E.A. Surrey said:

We’re on the QV from 20th September; how can I find out who the guest speakers are? 

For QV, see this document found on "The experience", "Guest speakers" page on the Cunard website.

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/life-on-board/guest-speakers/QV_Insights_Guest_Lecturers_2019.pdf