Notes from Queen Victoria to the Mediterranean

Host Hattie

Thank you again, we're in Departures at Barcelona airport waiting for our flight to Cardiff.

We had a lovely time, part city break, part beach break with a side trip to Sitges.

We were very impressed by Vueling's automatic check in and baggage drop and the fast lane security might be the best 8€ I have ever spent !

Just catching up on CC after being on the same cruise - my first on Cunard!

Welllll, what can I say! I have to be honest and state that I have never considered Cunard before, I'm a Celebrity lover but a good offer came along for this one and I jumped at it. I LOVED it! It reminded me of how P&O was about 25 years ago, very relaxed with a nice ambience.

The good was very good but I had a couple of niggles - nothing bad.

Some of the staff were really not very friendly - especially in the Chart Room and the pub. I'm always very polite and try to chat to them but I got nothing back from a few of them. Most were great though. On Celebrity, I find all the staff are more engaging.

The food was mainly good, but cruise food is never perfect is it? I'm the least fussy eater ever so it's not the most important part of a cruise for me so no complaints there.

The entertainment was not great - I liked the comedy string quartet best. The production shows didn't really excite me - I know they had two injured dancers and had to fly someone in to cover but the cast were not great to be honest, considering how many people they audition.

What about that Laura in the entertainments team??? Awesome, born for the job. She made me giggle every day - " 'elp make the sail away go with a swing with todaaays cocktaail oov the deyyy, Piiina Colaaaada, wooooo!". A star and she probably doesn't know how good she is.

I'm hooked, maybe a TA next.

Nice to hear from you Scotraveller and good to hear that you loved your first Cunard experience.

I agree with you about the comedy string quartet, it didn't sound very promising but I was weak with laughter. We hardly ever go to the production shows so I don't know if this cast was any different to normal.

Hello Hattie,

Been great following your recent voyage, really envious. DH and I are due to sail on the QM2 in March (Dubai to Southampton) seems a long way off at the moment We previously sailed on her two years ago. and sailed on QV a number of times. We really like Cunard compared with a number of other lines we have sailed with . You mentioned in one of your last posts you were flying into Cardiff, didn't realise you lived here in the land of rugby, and male voice choirs. Welcome home, hope it wasn't too cold when you arrived back.

Thank you, we live quite close to the airport so it was really convenient to be able to fly back to Cardiff rather than having to get back from London or one of the other of Cunard's standard offerings.

It was actually a very pleasant afternoon when we landed and I didn't need the cardigan I had in my hand luggage.

Hello Hattie

thanks for this it has made me looked forward more to our next trip in November on the QV.

On the card you were given I'm confused by the destination says Civitavecchia not Barcelona..../

Yes, a lot of things were organised on the assumption that everyone was disembarking in Civitavecchia. The cruise was sold as either 8 or 10 nights, I am not sure how many people did each version but our disembarkation was very quick and easy.