QM2 embarking Brooklyn questions

Eric2005

I've heard conflicting stories about embarking in Brooklyn. One Cunard agent said there are only a couple rows of seats and advised me not to arrive too early; another agent was more encouraging. What's the truth? I'm familiar with Southampton (excellent terminal) but have never sailed out of Brooklyn. It sounds as though it's not too inviting a terminal.

I'm in the Britannia dining room (November crossing) so won't be in the first group to board.

Also can I carry my bags on as I have done in Southampton? I've also disembarked early at Southampton (on a cruise originating in Southampton) carrying my own bags. I assume nothing's changed.

Final question, I'd like to buy my train ticket (non refundable) from Southampton in advance. I know that weather can affect on time arrival but does the ship generally arrive on time? Buying last minute tickets is a LOT more expensive. I am not going to London and dislike buses anyway,

I've heard conflicting stories about embarking in Brooklyn. One Cunard agent said there are only a couple rows of seats and advised me not to arrive too early; another agent was more encouraging. What's the truth? I'm familiar with Southampton (excellent terminal) but have never sailed out of Brooklyn. It sounds as though it's not too inviting a terminal.

This sort of question is asked and answered fairly frequently on the main Cunard forum and on the East Coast Departures forum here on Cruise Critic. The 'roll call' forms are for specific sailings [like the M929 & M930 series for next September and October round trip crossings]

Brooklyn terminal info is found at their official site https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/

The waiting area before security is fairly small, with minimal facilities [i think there [i]may[/i] be a rest room]. Once past security there is a larger seating / waiting area for completing paperwork and checking in. After check in, there _may_ be another wait before being called to embark.

I'm in the Britannia dining room (November crossing) so won't be in the first group to board.

Also can I carry my bags on as I have done in Southampton? I've also disembarked early at Southampton (on a cruise originating in Southampton) carrying my own bags. I assume nothing's changed.

You can elect to bring all you bags through the checkin and embarkation process - but all the bags must fit through an airport style scanner. (We tend to bring and drop large bags with the porters, and just carry the essentials - wine, electronics - and our travel attire is suitable for the first night in Britannia even if the bags are delayed)

Final question, I'd like to buy my train ticket (non refundable) from Southampton in advance. I know that weather can affect on time arrival but does the ship generally arrive on time? Buying last minute tickets is a LOT more expensive. I am not going to London and dislike buses anyway,

That's more a question for the main Cunard board - folks who frequently / recently made an Eastbound crossing will be in a better position to answer. Edited by TheOldBear
speeling korrection :-)

Thanks. Will post on Cunard thread.

There MAY be a bathroom? Really? It sounds like a primitive terminal facility!

I don’t think there was too much concern for passengers pre security screening. My wife says there must be a rest room, but we did not need it last year.

Inside there are multiple rest rooms & vending machines. It’s a large space - I recall that a caterer rented the terminal for a New Year’s Eve party for a few years.

Dear Eric,

Welcome to Brooklyn! Being a Brooklynite and Cunarder, we find it a pleasure to embark at the BCT over previous experiences in Manhattan.

To answer your second question, The first boarding are normally those with Platinum/Diamond Cunard World Club Members and those booked in Grill Cabins beside those that are disabled (ex. wheelchair passengers). Those passengers after checking in at a Priority Check In Desk are directed to a private lounge for their waiting time which is typically 12 Noon when the doors open to board.

And yes there are Rest Rooms available in the terminal but never needed to use them till on board. There are very little seating in the Front Lobby as they want to keep the Check In process flowing.

When you arrive in front of the terminal, porters will be available to take bags being checked in. Your check in process thru many previous experiences are pretty fast. You will be next directed to the lobby where you will go thru a pre document check process. Have your passport and tickets ready to be viewed by the Pier Security. Next you will be directed to the Security/Scanner Section to check your carry on luggage or bags. Your baggage will be put thru the Scanner and you will walk thru the Frame. Once passed thru Security you will be next directed to either the Priority or General Check In lines. When you arrive at the Check In Desk you will present your passports, tickets and credit card for on board purchases. At completion you will be directed to the General Passenger Waiting Lounge and given a numbered ticket. Passengers will be called by that number given when to proceed on board the ship unless you were directed to the Club/Grill Lounge.

We have personally been satisfied with our 6 previous sailings out of Brooklyn with the organized way we have been serviced.

Except for waiting to board we moved pretty fast. Of course the General Check In lines do have quite a number of people waiting but there are usually quite a number of Cunard Line Staff at Check In Desk to process embarkations.

Bon Voyage!

There is a small, single occupant restroom (I think one per sex) adjacent to the pre-security waiting area. The pre-security area is 10 or 20 chairs.

It's been many years since I've embarked on a crossing, but on the Christmas Caribbean voyage the number of Platinum and Diamond guests quickly overwhelms the VIP waiting area (since many people book it each year it likely has a higher quantity of VIP CWC members). As we are Platinum level they directed us to a cordoned-off section of the larger embarkation waiting area and we were permitted to board with the VIP group.

The scanner belts in use have a larger aperture than you might find at the airport. I carry on (drag on) a wheeled case with wine bottles. The handle collapses down so I can put the case on the belt with the bottles upright and it fits within the aperture with no difficulty.

The post-check-in waiting area is large enough to accommodate most or all of the passengers but it's essentially a big room with many rows of chairs. There's a small counter in one corner where you may buy snacks or coffee but most years it hasn't been in operation. When I was there last (Christmas 2017} it was open, though.

It may be helpful to have your own pen or pencil to complete the health form (this is done between the X-rays/magnetometers and queueing for check-in) since there are sometimes a limited number of pencils there (and no sanitization between users, come to think of it).

Any groups in which one person has a cane or is in a wheelchair are directed to a dedicated check-in area to the right end of the check-in counter.

Have a good trip.

With regards to getting to Southampton Central. Unless there is a real delay en route, then getting a train from Southampton Central at 9am is usually feasible when self disembarking. Some arrivals and departures of QM2 at Southampton are at different terminals instead of the usual Ocean Terminal` after 4th November departure from Ocean Terminal.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Dear Eric,

Welcome to Brooklyn! Being a Brooklynite and Cunarder, we find it a pleasure to embark at the BCT over previous experiences in Manhattan.

BklynBoy8 - You are obviously very knowledgeable regarding the Brooklyn terminal. My niece lives around 3 miles from it. My husband and I are flying in the morning we board QM2 and will Uber from LGA to the terminal. She is going to meet us at the terminal at 2:30 to give us some alcohol and other things we’ve asked her to buy for our cruise. Is there anything special I need to tell her regarding where to park or what to do? She and her husband are both planning on coming to see us in the terminal rather than having one of them stay with the car and one of them finding us. Any hints or tips that I should tell her? Thanks in advance!

Janet

I've boarded in Brooklyn once. You drop your big bags off with the porter's out front. They will be delivered to your stateroom. The check in area is small. The line goes quickly. Once past security, there are seats, restrooms and a small coffee stand. The VIP/QG area is separate. You shouldn't be delayed very long if all goes as planned.

Here is where you run into unforeseen problems. The Health Department decides to conduct an inspection. Until this is completed and any items found remedied, boarding is delayed and you remain in the terminal lounge. On our trip, we had to wait three hours before the ship was released for boarding. This part of the process is out of everyone's control. So, be prepared to be patient.

It usually goes just fine.

BklynBoy8 - You are obviously very knowledgeable regarding the Brooklyn terminal. My niece lives around 3 miles from it. My husband and I are flying in the morning we board QM2 and will Uber from LGA to the terminal. She is going to meet us at the terminal at 2:30 to give us some alcohol and other things we’ve asked her to buy for our cruise. Is there anything special I need to tell her regarding where to park or what to do? She and her husband are both planning on coming to see us in the terminal rather than having one of them stay with the car and one of them finding us. Any hints or tips that I should tell her? Thanks in advance!

Janet

Will answer soon. Thank you..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

RE buying rail tickets in advance, yes this is indeed possible. You can buy direct from https://www.southwesternrailway.com/. Should you have any problems with that, you can try https://www.thetrainline.com/, where you can buy in USD (as well as a number of other currencies). The British system can be quite confusing with anytime, off-peak & advance fares. Advance fares often restrict you to a specific train time whereas off-peak can normally be used at any time outside the peak - which is around 9.30. So please check carefully what you buy.

BklynBoy8 - You are obviously very knowledgeable regarding the Brooklyn terminal. My niece lives around 3 miles from it. My husband and I are flying in the morning we board QM2 and will Uber from LGA to the terminal. She is going to meet us at the terminal at 2:30 to give us some alcohol and other things we’ve asked her to buy for our cruise. Is there anything special I need to tell her regarding where to park or what to do? She and her husband are both planning on coming to see us in the terminal rather than having one of them stay with the car and one of them finding us. Any hints or tips that I should tell her? Thanks in advance! Janet

Hi LadyVol (Janet),

Sorry for the lateness of the information. Had a family emergency to take care of. Hope you can still use it.

Sounds like you will be boarding towards the end of the boarding lineup, possibly for a lower cabin. The terminal does have a parking lot that they can park while they visit with you. I will post the link for Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Parking System for you. The lot is right across from the Terminal Entrance and next to the ship's dock.

The terminal does a small lobby that you all can meet. The rest of the terminal is only for the passengers only. ex. security checking your documents before proceeding to security and the Cunard Check In Desk.

In believe the ship typically leaves after the Shipboard Lifeboat Drill that takes place around 430PM. Would be great if they can see you off when the ship would leave around 5PM. They can give you a Bon Voyage Wave.

Don't know whatever else I can advise you. But any other questions would be glad to assist you. Jealous of your voyage, we have to wait to next year.

Bon Voyage

BROOKLYN CRUISE TERMINAL - PARKING

https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

Thanks. If our flight is on time hopefully my husband and I will have already boarded the ship and then we will get off at 2:30 to meet my niece and her husband to get our stuff from them. This info is great. Thanks again!