Guest speakers & celebrity encounters

Bennybluehat

Just a light hearted post : Having cruised quite a few times now we have seen a few celebrities & guest speakers on the ships & I am curious to know what you think about approaching them when you see them around the ship? Also if you have done this what were your experiences? We have bumped into a few whilst out & about on the decks & a few were lovely but lots of them look very unapproachable!

I've found that in general, celebrities appreciate being treated no differently than regular people that you meet onboard. They generally don't like to be approached just for the sake of their being a celebrity, but they enjoy engaging with you in the same way you would engage with anyone else you happen to meet on board...in a natural way.

I've spoken to lots of 'celebrities' and guest speakers over the years. A couple of times with questions related to their talks but most often just because we found ourselves in the same place at the same time, whether that be in the restaurant, on a tour, or standing at the rail watching the sailaway.

I've only had one negative experience. I found myself standing at a bar next to a comedian/tv presenter, both of us waiting to be served. I nodded and said "Hi", he looked at me like he'd just scraped me off the sole of his shoe and turned his back.:mad:

The British daytime program Homes under the Hammer used to be a favourite of mine so when I bumped into the host onboard I couldn’t resist having a chat and he was ever so friendly and approachable. I then saw him daily by the pool with his two young kids obviously looking less approachable so guess it’s about picking your moment:-) But he was on holiday. I think a guest speaker is very different and I think it’s fair to approach them while they are onboard in the same way you would approach a crew member with a question, comment or just a general chat. They are there as a part of the entertainment team in my opinion.

Celia Imrie was on QM2 and we were waiting for the lift with her. I said how much I liked her top (I do this to anyone) and after chatting for a minute or so I asked if I could take her picture. She suggested my husband took a picture of her and I together, which he did.

• Like 1

In general, I think that "celebrities" appreciate being treated as "real people." (perhaps with perks) Not a friend (no matter how often they've been in your home on TV) and not someone to be fawned over or disturbed. They were very nice and if they didn't appreciate the interaction, I'm sure that they weren't bothered by it.

I've found myself standing or sitting next to a couple of them through the years. In one case, I simply made an offhand comment during bingo, and he replied with a quip. In another, (I was a huge fan) I briefly and quietly introduced myself, thanked them and asked a question about one of their TV shows. In both cases, I paid attention to their body language and waited for a moment they weren't occupied.

I've heard and read often from Broadway stars who genuinely enjoy meeting and talking to people on the Broadway-themed cruises. On another case, I was on a gay cruise and the headline entertainer was a very well known rock star on a small ship (the old Norwegian Majesty) and she quickly became known as a jerk who hated being approached and was continually rude to all the crew and passengers aboard. I think that part of it may lie in how the gig has been described to the celebrity. In many cruises, (like the Broadway cruises) they are expected to interact with the passengers in others (the jerk) they may simply be booked as entertainment. Or they may just be taking a cruise (which was the case in my two examples.

Liz Dawn and Jimmy Saville on a cruise Queen Victoria Mediterranean 2009. Both kept themselves to themselves and people didnt tend to bother them

Main piano player in the Commodore Club kept name checking how tight he was with him and it was “Jimmy this and Jimmy that...when Jim and I were in the cigar lounge earlier...”.

Mmm hope the pianist has changed his patter now!

Liz was roped into participating in a cooking show and was very good sport

Robert Powell was lecturing on Queen Elizabeth on a spain cruise 2017.

Did spend some time at the world club party chatting to him and incredibly nice and entertaining.

Asked him if he had worked with some real divas and laughed saying yes but he wouldnt name check and I said we had seen Roger Moore doing a talk and someone asked him about Grace Jones and Roger replied “ my mother said if youve nothing nice to say then say nothing at all” - he said that as good advice from Roger Moore

Got back and watched 39 Steps then saw him in a Sherlock Holmes play in Bath.

We shared a Britannia breakfast table with one of the QM2 speakers on our first QM2 cruise. On the same cruise we were behind another guy at checkin who was carrying a ukulele case. Turns out he was another onboard speaker.

I don't think it's unusual to encounter the speakers in your travels throughout the ship. I met a featured celebrity's wife (you've probably heard of him and his work) at a CC meet & greet a few years ago but I'll keep it at that. He didn't attend.

Park Sims was one of the guest speakers during our June 24, 2018 westbound crossing and he was at our table for eight in the Britannia restaurant. He was a most engaging and informative tablemate during that crossing.

For those who heard his talk on "Fibonacci's Magic Numbers" during that voyage, I happen to be "John the First" he incorporated into that talk after he learned I had a background in mathematics during the previous evening's dinner conversation. There was another John at our table with a background in construction and he mentioned him during his subsequent talk on Heat Pumps as "John the Second".

It does depend if they are on holiday or "working". If they are on board to do a talk, then I would expect them to be happy to chat.

We were on QE2 once when Sir Bernard Ingam was a speaker. We just happened to go for breakfast at the same time as him and his wife and shared a lift on many of the mornings. He never said a word to us. We put that down to him being from Yorkshire.

Just a light hearted post : Having cruised quite a few times now we have seen a few celebrities & guest speakers on the ships & I am curious to know what you think about approaching them when you see them around the ship? Also if you have done this what were your experiences? We have bumped into a few whilst out & about on the decks & a few were lovely but lots of them look very unapproachable!

I have a friend who is a movie Director .He take several cruises a year and loves to interact with people who recognize him . However,he may be in the minority.

It does depend if they are on holiday or "working". If they are on board to do a talk, then I would expect them to be happy to chat.

We were on QE2 once when Sir Bernard Ingam was a speaker. We just happened to go for breakfast at the same time as him and his wife and shared a lift on many of the mornings. He never said a word to us. We put that down to him being from Yorkshire.

That’s really funny! I once went to an event where Sir Bernard was present. It was like being in the same room with a very old and mangy lion who was considering if he could still take out a wildebeest or two.

Thanks for your consideration - you are probably one of the people who do not need this advice.

Guest speakers are usually normal people with regular lives and regular staterooms, they just happen to have to do some work in order to get a free cruise.

Basic rules are:

1. DO ACT NORMAL, do not disturb them while they're busy (eating, talking to other people etc.)

2. Ask experts simple questions about their field.

3. Do not explain their field to them.

4. Do not turn up with ''alternative facts'' and obscure theories about anything loosely related to their field.

5. A guest speaker's live goes on after the talk (most often with lunch or tea): limit your conversation to a few minutes, don't block them for hours.

I'm no guest speaker, but I have spent quite some time in academia where the same rules apply at public speeches.

Thanks for your consideration - you are probably one of the people who do not need this advice.

Guest speakers are usually normal people with regular lives and regular staterooms, they just happen to have to do some work in order to get a free cruise.

Basic rules are:

1. DO ACT NORMAL, do not disturb them while they're busy (eating, talking to other people etc.)

2. Ask experts simple questions about their field.

3. Do not explain their field to them.

4. Do not turn up with ''alternative facts'' and obscure theories about anything loosely related to their field.

5. A guest speaker's live goes on after the talk (most often with lunch or tea): limit your conversation to a few minutes, don't block them for hours.

I'm no guest speaker, but I have spent quite some time in academia where the same rules apply at public speeches.

And most of all if they are BIG stars DON’t ask for an autograph.....

It does fascinate me which speakers or celebrities want interaction with the passengers and which don’t. We had the privilege of listening to a gentleman who was a glider pilot during WW2, a truly inspiring man who had time for anyone who wanted to talk to him. We bumped into him frequently around the ship & he was an absolute joy. Then you get these so called celebs who really don’t want any interaction & make it clear they don’t. The true stars in this world shine brightly, way above the others & they are always the most humble.

I remember being on the QE2 and the Celeb on board was Robert Vaughn, Movie Star and Actor on The Man From UNCLE sitcom.

He acted very suave and personable with the Eileen the Social Hostess during a Q&A in the Qxs Room..

Well we as others on board passed him during the Evening and he was so rude and socially negative in his response and contact.

Just wanted to acknowledge his acting accomplishments but really was turned off by him..

We have seen others like Patti Lupone, Nell Carter to name a few and they were beautiful and truly down to earth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

DH and I have shared tables a few times with a guest speaker, but they've been experts in their own field, not 'celebrities'.

Always charming I did have great pleasure when talking to one speaker (can't remember his name) who was talking about Cunard and I recalled a really obscure fact from a thread which had appeared here just before we sailed. I mentioned it to him and he was delighted as he hadn't heard it before. Of course he could have just been polite.....:confused:

Yes, Roy Hunt, the Music Historian. Anyone interested in the great popular music of yesteryear should not miss Roy's interesting and amusing lectures. Very approachable and a real gentleman.

I agree he was excellent. But it's his passion not his job. :D

Celia Imrie was on QM2 and we were waiting for the lift with her. I said how much I liked her top (I do this to anyone) and after chatting for a minute or so I asked if I could take her picture. She suggested my husband took a picture of her and I together, which he did.

I was onboard with her as well and chatted with her in the spa. I’ll confess that, as a Canadian, I had no idea who she was until the next day and recognized her photo at the theatre. She was very nice and lovely to talk with.

We were on Queen Elizabeth for the recent short Netherland Escape voyage to Rotterdam at the end of August. We were sat at the Midships Bar on the Gakl night enjoying some Gin when a young couple sat next to us. They introduced themselves as being from Manchester. We then started talking about all sorts of things and time flew by!

It was only when the guy's wife introduced them as Paris and Tyson did we realise that it was boxer Tyson Fury. I hadn't even noticed the constant stream of people asking him for photos! Which he was very happy to do. It was very subtly done. My wife had thought he must be famous but dudn't realise who it was.

We saw them around the ship a few times after that. They were on holiday as Tyson was taking a break from training and to celebrate his 30th Birthday. They were such a lovely couple. We also got a scoop that Paris was pregnant with their 5th child before they officially announced it on social media the next day!

Quite a surreal moment thinking back on it.

Eddie

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1