Aboard QM2 now (9-23 Sept)

MarkBearSF

We boarded the QM2 today in NY for a round-trip crossing. Feel free to ask any questions.

Some notes on what I've seen thus far:

• It's still "The Steakhouse at the Veranda" - and I'm told it will also be so for the return crossing
  • As previously reported, pre-dinner hot hors d'ouvres in the Commodore Club are a thing of the past
  • The combined starter/soup/salad offerings in Britannia are even fewer than before. On the positive side, the unpublished always-avaiable items are still available (I had shrip cocktail as an appetizer). The dinner was excellent, however.
  • Internet speed seems as slow as ever, but not as slow as some reports might have you believe.

It's good to be "back home"

Thank you for the updates! I hope you have a fabulous set of crossings.

Did they perchance say when the steakhouse menu might bid adieu? I’m traveling Hamburg to NYC next month, October 18-25, and have a reservation at the Verandah that I may cancel if it’s still on then. I’m not especially keen on the choices versus the cost.

No idea about future Verandah plans. When I stopped by after boarding, they had someone at the restaurant podium who actually knew nothing about anything. (I mentioned that I assumed that the price difference between the $49 I had paid to reserve and the Steakhouse charge and he was baffled and said to check back when the Maitre d' would be on duty.) He said that they were going to continue it on the next crossing - which is actually when we have the res (turn-around day). However, I'll stop by again. I'll update the thread if I learn anything different.

- Mark

I spoke with a very senior hotel officer aboard roughly 8/30/18- he said "six weeks trial- back to the old (French) menu after that - the concept may re-appear at some point in the future"

It was interesting at a Q&A on the NCL Breakaway a while back the Executive Chef was asked what the most popular dish was aboard- he said "steak"

So the idea of a popular alternative dining choice might be steak. Aboard, a British couple loved the steak menu and ate there twice- a couple from Houston Texas were not impressed

No idea about future Verandah plans. When I stopped by after boarding, they had someone at the restaurant podium who actually knew nothing about anything. (I mentioned that I assumed that the price difference between the $49 I had paid to reserve and the Steakhouse charge and he was baffled and said to check back when the Maitre d' would be on duty.) He said that they were going to continue it on the next crossing - which is actually when we have the res (turn-around day). However, I'll stop by again. I'll update the thread if I learn anything different.

- Mark

Very much appreciated!

Hi Mark - just wondering who the Head Maitre’ D is on your crossing? Is it Osman? The QG just hums when he is conducting! Have a great voyage!

I must confess to some ignorance here. Is there a Head Maitre 'd for all the dining rooms? We're dining in Britannia, and to be honest, my eyesight is not great (and/or my glasses are often dirty) and I don't want to stare at peoples' chest, so I've been unable to catch the name tag of the MD in Britannia. (I also checked to see if their pictures were on the wall outside the dining room and did not see any). We also tend to skip the Captain's welcome aboard party. As Captain Wells (and his always-humorous quips) is not on this voyage, we did not attend.

On another dining-related front, I'm overjoyed to see that cheddar cheese has finally made it onboard as an omelette option. On our previous crossings over the past two years, only swiss was available on the menu or upstairs in the King's Court. YAY! (Sometimes it's the little things.)

In other news...

We finally caught "Apassionata" in the Royal Court Theatre last night. We typically only catch one show every voyage and had not caught it before. Cunard, and most cruise line's production shows are unintentionally humorous. I was impressed. There were no embarrassing parts and the dancers were excellent.

I decided to try watercolor. (My last experience with watercolors was likely when I was age 10). Gawd it's frustrating - my brush just doesn't cooperate with what I want it to do! However, I'm determined to keep at it and see where it it takes me. A great opportunity to give it a go!

Off to the painting group!

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Have a great time- I envy you- i loved my roundtrip Soto- NY- Soto last year! Is Cunard doing something at the anniversary of 9/11?

I haven't seen anything today. There may be a mention during the noon announcements. I saw nothing in the Daily Programme.

- Mark

I must confess to some ignorance here. Is there a Head Maitre 'd for all the dining rooms? We're dining in Britannia, and to be honest, my eyesight is not great (and/or my glasses are often dirty) and I don't want to stare at peoples' chest, so I've been unable to catch the name tag of the MD in Britannia. (I also checked to see if their pictures were on the wall outside the dining room and did not see any). We also tend to skip the Captain's welcome aboard party. As Captain Wells (and his always-humorous quips) is not on this voyage, we did not attend.

On another dining-related front, I'm overjoyed to see that cheddar cheese has finally made it onboard as an omelette option. On our previous crossings over the past two years, only swiss was available on the menu or upstairs in the King's Court. YAY! (Sometimes it's the little things.)

In other news...

We finally caught "Apassionata" in the Royal Court Theatre last night. We typically only catch one show every voyage and had not caught it before. Cunard, and most cruise line's production shows are unintentionally humorous. I was impressed. There were no embarrassing parts and the dancers were excellent.

I decided to try watercolor. (My last experience with watercolors was likely when I was age 10). Gawd it's frustrating - my brush just doesn't cooperate with what I want it to do! However, I'm determined to keep at it and see where it it takes me. A great opportunity to give it a go!

Off to the painting group!

- Mark

Hi Mark, hope you are having as good a time as Bell Boy who is making us all rather envious here at home.

For as long as I have cruised with Cunard the Head (Senior) Maitre 'd has always been the maitre 'd for the Queens Grill.

I haven't seen anything today. There may be a mention during the noon announcements. I saw nothing in the Daily Programme.

Update - the captain DID include it in his announcements at noon. He also mentioned that the interior flag is being flown at half-mast in remembrance.

He also announced when we were to pass nearest the Titanic remains. And also talked briefly about the Carpathia.

On a final note, this is Captain Philpott's final voyage before retirement.

...and the painting went much better today.

- Mark