Just off QM2 Fashion Week Crossing

Jack E Dawson

My wife Dee and I returned this past Sunday (9th) from the Fashion Week trans-Atlantic crossing on the QM2. Before departing for Southampton on the 2nd i was scouring the Cunard Board for any last minute tips. While doing that I also made a To-Do list of action items addressing all of the current hot topics on the Board including drink prices/packages, MDR seating chart, under bed storage space and Sheltered vs. Club cabins. The following is a diary of that week along with some Observations and Comments that I hope will address many of these issues.

This was only our second time to cruise and both voyages have been on the QM2 going from Southampton to NYC. Our first cruise was in May of last year and was in Britannia Club. Although we had high exceptions for Cunard and the QM2, we were still blown away by the ship, the service, the activities, the food, the music, fellow passengers and of course, the North Atlantic Ocean. After that cruise, which we enjoyed immensely, we had not planned on taking another cruise for at least two years. Then about 5 weeks ago along came a promotional e-mail from Cunard offering a shelter balcony for $849/pp plus a $100/pp OBC. Since we had paid almost $2,000/pp the year before, we jumped at the chance to get back on board the QM2. Dee saw the Fashion Week aspect as an added bonus but I wasn't so sure. However, i can now tell you that the Fashion Week program is a game changer. This cruise was completely different than the the last one. While I only went to three of the fashion shows, Dee attended all of the events and loved every minute. Over and above the scheduled events, all of the key players of Fashion Week were out and about with the rest of the passengers and very approachable. Despite the haute couture, these folks all had their feet firmly on the ground (deck?). Interestingly, and at he same time, those passengers who wanted to enjoy a classic QM2 crossing could do so without having Fashion Week activities disturb their schedules.

QM2 Diary Sept. 2-9, 2018

DAY1

70F Sunny Calm Seas Winds 5kts

This was our second year in a row to utilize the Cunard Coach Service. This service is inexpensive, well organized and reliable. Plus, there was the peace of mind in knowing that if, for what ever reason, the bus is a bit late, Cunard is probably going to be more likely to hold departure a little longer for their own coach. As with last year, we stayed the night before departure at the Double Tree Hilton across the street from Victoria Station in London, just 3 blocks from Victoria Coach Station. The walk to the coach station goes right past the Majestic Wine store. After picking up 5 bottles of wine (champ, 2 chard, 2 merlot) we caught the 11:30 Cunard bus to Southampton. We arrived Southampton to a very long que but 1 hr. later we were in our stateroom with our bags already waiting. It seemed like we had never left the boat, we were home! As with last year, there was a bottle of Pol Acker iced down and waiting. We quickly popped the cork on the Pol Acker and began to unpack. Almost immediately we were met by our cabin steward. She was a very nice lady named Venus from the Manila. When I realized that I had failed to bring a wine opener she had the problem resolved in 2 minutes. Once we were all squared away, it was up to deck 8 for the bon voyage party. It was perfect weather. Great party. Great band, Purple Haze. From there we headed down to dinner (early seating). As requested we had been assigned to a table for 6 but only one other couple showed up. They were from England and incredibly nice. The husband had served in the Royal Navy and had a wonderful sense of humor as did his wife. Dee and I both had the steak with crabmeat toping. It was excellent. Our waiter and assistant made us feel very comfortable and took care of every detail. After dinner we opened our bottle of champagne, filled two glasses and headed out to the promenade deck where we grabbed two deck chairs and watched the sunset. From there we changed and hit the stern hot tub. We were only in it for 15 minutes when were were notified that it would be closing in 10 minutes. The outdoor pools and hot tubs actually close at 8:00PM but because of all of the afternoon activities they had kept them open till 9:00PM. Back to the cabin for a quick change then up to the Chart Room and an evening of Jazz. Finally around 10:30PM we were both hit with a wave of exhaustion so we called it a night.

COMMENT: The departure terminal that was used this year was different from the one used last year. Last year's terminal had comfortable seating and a small cafe that served good food and drink. The terminal used this year was terrible. The line snaked around through the warehouse part of the building. It was hot and there was no place to sit. Within 30 minutes of our arrival, the line had grown double in size and the wait was more than two hours. There were many passengers who were struggling with this endurance test. There is a saying that you have only one chance to make a good first impression. Cunard certainly blew their chance with any first time passengers on this cruise. To the credit of the check-in staff inside, they were quick, efficient and very friendly.

COMMENT: Dee and I love the Pol Acker and appreciate Cunard's thoughtfulness. I know it gets slammed pretty hard here on Cruise Critic. We thought that maybe on our first cruise on the QM2 that we were so caught up in the excitement of the moment and being newbies that maybe we had suffered a case of tastebud naivety but no, WE LIKE IT.

OBSERVATION: A 70cm X 50cm X 28cm piece of luggage fit easily under our bed

OBSERVATION: The 6:00PM dining time is a bit too early for us but when we read he fine print on the seating time, to stated that the last order time was 6:30PM. So we , along with our table mates, began arriving between 6:15PM and 6:20PM. This was better for us and we always had our orders in by 6:25PM.

DAY 2

66F Sunny Moderate Seas Wind 20kts

Met a mother and daughter at breakfast, in the MDR, who owned a pub and tea shop, respectively. in Southampton. Very interesting pair who kept us in stitches. We would see these two many times during the trip and enjoyed their company. The mother/daughter interaction was like watching a classic British sit-com. The overcast skies turned to rain mid morning. Dee went to Hal Rubenstine lecture and I went to went to water color class. We met back up at noon just as the weather began to break and it became a beautiful sunny day. We power walked for an hour around the Promenade Deck making a total of 9 laps. This was to be our daily goal. Then it was time for one of our great delights on the QM2, Fish & Chips for lunch in the Golden Lion pub. We try to get there after 1:00PM when tables are easily available but the down-side is you miss the noon to 1:00PM music. On this cruise, as last cruise, the lunch music in the Golden Lion was provided by the wonderful guitarist Paul Garthwaitte. As with last year's cruise, the Fish & Chips we delicious. I even ate a few bites of those mashed peas! After lunch we went to the rollcall get together in the Commodore Club. There were only 8 of us but we had a nice time and it was good to put faces to the names. It was especially nice to finally meet BellBoy, aka Paul. Through the threads on Cruise Critic he has been so instrumental in helping Dee and I plan our trips and getting the most out of these special times. The rollcall gathering lasted about an hour. After leaving the Commodore Club, Dee managed to steer me to the sales tables on deck 3. She found a cocktail ring for $25 and wore it that night. After that we went back to the cabin to dress for the Captain's reception at 5:00PM. Since it was the Black & White ball that night, dress was formal. The reception was very nice with no waiting in the receiving line. There we met a couple from Canada. The husband was a retired Canadian Mounty. For the second night in a row the third couple at our table for 6 were a no-show. I had a delicious Dover Sole for dinner. The performance tonight was the Cunard Singers and Dancers. We loved them on the cruise last year and they are even better this year. The theme was Broadway and they hit it out of the park. We spent only a few minutes at the gala in the Queens Room then headed to the Commodore Club for a final-final.

COMMENT: As a matter of courtesy, it would be nice if individuals planning not to dine in the MDR would notify the maitre d' in advance so that their assigned tablemates can move forward with dinner.

COMMENT: Last year in Balcony Club we had "anytime dining" and didn't have to worry about freeing up the table for the second seating. We weren't sure how much of an issue this was going to be now that we had early seating on this cruise. As it turned we never once felt the least bit rushed or pressed to move on. In fact, neither of us remember once even thinking that there was a second seating. Even with us all arriving around 6:20PM we were usually finished dinner by 7:45-8:00PM. Our waiter Rommel kept the pace relaxed and enjoyable

DAY 3

66F Sunny Light Seas Wind 20kts

By now the maitre d' knew our preference for a shared window table for breakfast and had a table waiting for us. I set next to a retired gentleman who was very active in restoring old steam engine trains. I didn't realize that such an organization existed. They are doing some very important historical work in the UK and getting young people involved as well. I enjoyed a large breakfast of a ham/Swiss/bellpepper omelet with side orders of English bacon, sausage, corn beef hash and a croissant and the same omelette but with a side of just veggie sausage for Dee. We both knew that today's schedule would not allow to have lunch. After breakfast Dee went to a presentation by celebrity photographer Richard Young and I went to my water color class. Dee became a big fan of Richard Young and enjoyed all of his contributions to fashion week. Completed my first picture which was about on par with kindergarten watercolors. Dee and I got back together a little before noon and power walked until about 12:45PM. We grabbed a couple of deck chairs and watched the ocean go buy for half an hour, then headed back to the room to change and dress for the fashion show. At 1:20PM we got in line for the Mr. Porter men's fashion show. While in line we met Billy and Tracy. He has a TV show called Selling Mega Mansions and she is developing a line of resort cloths. We ended up sitting behind them and they shared a lot of great information about what we would be seeing and pointed out some of the important contributors to the fashion world who were sitting in the audience. While waiting for the show to start we noticed a lot of people ordering champagne. This seemed like a good idea so we followed suit. It was a very good idea. The fashion show was excellent. The designer's theme was building on men's smart causal from the 50's. Looking down on what I had on, I realized that I could have walked the runway today except for being 40 years too old and 40 pounds too heavy for modeling. After the show we bumped into the designer Jeremy Langmead on our way to the hot tube wearing bathing suites and bath robes and each with a glass of champagne. We told him how much we enjoyed the show and he seemed delighted but immediately got off the elevator on the next floor! On the way back from the hot tub Dee was hit suddenly with nausea and severe stomach pains, something that has never happened to her before on a boat. She took a nap while I hunted down a surprise for her. I had seen a story online about Cunard Red nail polish that is sold only on the boat. After bombing out at the stores I checked at the Canyon Ranch Spa and sure enough, they had it. After a nap and a hot shower Dee felt well enough for dinner. Thanks to the wonderful maitre'd we and our two table mates were switched from a table for 6 to a table for 4 up against a window that had gone unoccupied the first 2 nights. We enjoyed a beautiful sunset. Dinner tonight for both of us was the seared scallops perfectly prepared. The performer for the night was Jacqui Scott. She had starred in Cats and Avita in London's West End. She was amazing. What a thrill it was to hear her sing. It was like she knew every one of our favorite Broadway songs. After the show we decided to retire to the cabin as Dee did not want to push her recovery. We watch the taped presentation of one of the Insights speakers then went to bed.

OBSERVATION: It seems that the Britannia daily menu has been expanded. Last year I think there were usually 5 new entries each day to choose from while this year there were usually 8 new entries offered daily including two vegan choices. With five choices my selection was usually pretty easy but with 8 there were always at least two that I would love. What a great problem to have!

OBSERVATION: We found the main seating area in the Britannia dining room to be considerably noisier than the Club seating area on the QM2. Both Dee and I noticed this but since I wear hearing aids it was a real issue. My hearing aids are pretty high-tech with bluetooth linkage to my I-phone. From there I can slice and dice the sound spectrum pretty well but I still found the background noise intrusive. Part of this is the acoustical differences of the two areas but a big part is that with "anytime dining" in Club, there usually were a third to half of the tables empty at any given time. Our table mates this year were very interesting people but both soft spoken. At times this made conversation frustrating. I think that is why we often lingered after our plates were cleared as the room got quieter as others started leaving.

OBSERVATION: The four hot tubs on the stern decks of the QM2 are not hot, they are tepid at best. In Cunard's defense keeping these hot tubs hot (100F+) is not an easy task. Cold 20kt winds are constantly wicking the heat out of the water. However, some strategically placed plexiglass panels could solve this problem.

DAY 4

70 Sunny/Rainy/Sunny Heavy Wind 20kts

Woke up to southerly winds and a sunny day. Dee feeling almost 100%. Had breakfast with two new couples. Both very interesting. Good conversation kept us at the breakfast table till 9:30. After that I went to my water color class and Dee went to a fashion lecture. We met back at the cabin at around noon and decided to take a day off from our power walk and just sip tea while lounging on the promenade deck. Unfortunately after about half an hour the weather turned from sunny to rainy in a matter of just few minutes. We quickly headed into the Carinthia Lounge where a string quartet was performing and we had a light lunch. The light rain showers only lasted a few minutes but after lunch we headed back to the cabin, changed and headed to the featured Virginia Bates fashion show. It was pretty over the top great! We sat with a women who had retired from producing Broadway shows but had won 7 Tony awards in her career. After the show Dee went to another fashion lecture and I returned to the promenade deck chair. We both got back to the room around 5 and decided to open a bottle of wine as we prepared for tonight's formal night. Dinner tonight was the best so far. I had a salmon and mushroom Wellington that was completely over the top. After dinner we decided to pass on the show, instead we set out on the Promenade Deck for awhile then went in to the Carinthia lounge and listen to the jazz trio for a couple of hours. Finally we went up to the Commodore Club for a final-final. We ran into the mother/daughter duo from Southampton and ended up having a final-final-final. It was a fun but very relaxing evening.

COMMENT: Ninety percent of the people who walk/run on the promenade deck do so in the counter clockwise direction but there are always two or three groups who go the opposite direction. Its very disruptive and I don't understand why they do it. However, I put the responsibility on Cunard. Some simple signage would solve the problem. I don't care which way we go, they can even alter the direction every other day but address the issue. The promenade deck is one of the most enjoyable places on the QM2. Some people want to simply saunter around the deck, others enjoy a brisk walk while a fit few jog or run. When everyone goes in the same direction there is plenty of room to pass safely. But when there are walkers and runners coming from the other direction its just too much for the width of the deck.

DAY 5

61F Partially Cloudy Light Seas Wind 20kts

The wind is back from the north after a day of warm southerly winds. The day has started with a thin layer of high clouds. After closing down the Commodore Club last night and not getting to bed till 1:30 in the morning we slept in till eight. We again had a shared table by the window for breakfast and enjoyed a lovely British couple who were going on to NYC, Boston and Niagara after disembarking. As the week went on we met a surprising number of folks going on the Niagara. I guess this is a very popular add-on. After breakfast I went on to my watercolor class and Dee went to the Channel presentation on clothing and accessories then attended the interview with Virginia Bates. We met back at the cabin at noon and went for our power walk followed by a very quick lunch in the Carinthia lounge. After changing into our "fashion" cloths we headed to the afternoon fashion show. Today's show featured the designs of 4 designer students at the University of Westminster in London. We both at actually thought their cloths were the best of the three shows so far. Following the fashion show we decided to take the rest of the day off and just chill. The weather has turned warm (72) and sunny so we found two deck chairs on the Promenade Deck and settled in for the rest of the day. We did bring down a couple of glasses of wine to help in the relaxation process. (at the time it really didn't seem like we were drinking a lot but as I review these notes I'm seeing an alarmingly reoccurring theme)Fortunately the night was a casual evening as we didn't get back to the cabin until about 15 minutes before our dinner time for a quick change of cloths. My dinner selection tonight was a simple preparation of grilled shrimp done to perfection served with steamed rice. I mentioned to Rommel how much I loved grilled shrimp and 10 appeared on my plate rather than the normal 6. Following dinner we went to the Royal Theater where a married couple performed acrobatics. While it was not our cup of tea they did receive a standing ovation. After the show we headed to the Queens Room for Big Band night. For this occasion the Queens Room Orchestra and Royal Court Theater Orchestra are combined resulting in a very powerful sound. Quit enjoyable. Finally we retired to the the Commodore Club for a final final. Dee had been suffering from a head cold all day so the waiter suggested a shot toddy. The bartender put together an amazing concoction that immediately relieved the symptoms and made her feel generally better. Around midnight our friend Paul from Cruise Critic popped in and we had time to share a quick drink before some of his friends arrived and pried him away from us. Paul is definitely in the inner circle of Fashion Week and has been kind enough to give us insights into an industry we know nothing about. The result has been that we have enjoyed the whole fashion week celebration even more. As with any discipline, there are nuances and refinements that when one is made aware of these, the appreciation level goes up exponentially. Finally at around 12:30AM we threw in the towel and headed to bed. We were not going to be ones closing the Commodore Club tonight.

COMMENT: Drink Prices - There is a considerable amount of discussion on Cruise Critic regarding Cunard drink prices. Of course, at the end of the day, this is a subjective issue. Prior to boarding the QM2 in Southampton we spent two nights in London and three nights in Edinburgh. Strictly in the interest of scientific research we sampled London Pride beer, house wines and Jack Daniels whiskey cocktails in various pubs and hotel bars. Bottom line, Cunard prices are consistently at the high end but not out of line with equivalent land based establishments. On the plus side, all of the bars on the QM2 give you a good pour. Not one bartender gave us a precise 2oz measurement of whiskey, there was always a courtesy over-pour. A pint of London Pride was always filled right to the top. When it came to the wine it did look like these were pretty accurate 150/250 pours. However, $8.50 for a glass of a good house red was about in the middle of what we experienced in London, Edinburgh and back home in Chicago. On the other hand, charging extra for the mixer on a coke/sprite/ginger ale cocktail just looks cheap and makes Cunard look bad. A classic Manhattan with Makers Mark is $12.50. In comparison, a Makers Mark with ginger ale is $13.60 ($10.30 + $3.30). This just doesn't make any sense. When you order burger at a good pub they don't charge you separately for the bun. Come on Cunard, really.

OBSERVATION: The "A World of Drinks" program for alcoholic drinks is $69 per day with a 15 drink limit and an $11/drink max. Drinks over $11 and bottles of wine receive a 20% discount. All occupants in the same stateroom must purchase. Room service and the mini bar are excluded. Looking over the Bar Menu I would say this covers most of what's on there with the notable exceptions of my beloved Manhattan and my wife's beloved Cosmo. We could probably live with this except these two drinks are so perfectly prepared in the Commodore Club. Bottom line, because of this, the program is not for us.

DAY 6

74F Overcast, Calm Seas Wind 5-10kts

I guess burning of the candle at both ends must be catching up with us a we were still sound asleep at 9:00AM when a ships drill announcement went off. I got up, showered and headed off to water color class having just enough time to grab a mug of coffee before getting down to the day's assignment. Not sure if it was the last two Manhattan's from the night before our my usual befuddledness but I repeatedly rinsed my brushes off in my mug of coffee rather than the cup of water. Unfortunately I needed the coffee too bad to stop drinking it. Dee spent the morning a the retrospective and lecture on the actress Betty Davis. We met back at the cabin at noon and headed out for the daily power walk. Today we cut the walk from 9 laps to 8 as I just couldn't hold off on the fish-n-chips in the Golden Lion any longer. We got there just in time to hear ?????? perform his final 3 numbers. He is an extraordinary performer who had the whole room spellbound. Despite the skies remaining completely overcast the temperature continued to warm into the mid 70's so we spent the entire afternoon in deck chairs on the promenade deck. And yes, there was wine. We headed back to the cabin in time to dress for the evening, the Masquerade Ball. The steak and lobster at dinner were delicious. Even though the lobster tails were nice size, our waiter offered a second tail if anyone was still hungry. Not necessarily. The show tonight was the Cunard Singers and Dancers, Rhythms of the Night. Once again, this talented group of young people put on a great show full of energy and great music. After the show we headed back to the cabin where Dee grabbed her mask and then off to the Ball. I estimate that 60-70% of the crowd had masks on. Some, quite clever. When it came time to judge the best mask the promenade of participants snaked through the entire Queens Room. This was the first night Dee and I got some serious dancing in. It was a great evening. By the time the gala ended we were just too tired to make it to the Commodore's Club tonight for a final-final.

OBSERVATION: If you like Half&Half in your in-cabin coffee, like many Americans do, it is available in the Kings Court in large insulated carafes. At the start of the voyage we simply pour some into a coffee mug and take it back the the mini refrigerator in our room. Half&Half is not on the tables in the MDR but if you ask your waiter for they will quickly make it available.

COMMENT: Since our cruise on the QM2 we have seen a lot of negative comments on Cruise Critic about the quality/taste of the food. We found it to be delicious. When we made specific preparation requests they were always met. I had the good fortune to spend 27 years working in international sales and entertaining customers in fine restaurants all over he world. I understand that food is a very subjective thing but in my opinion, and Dee's, the food on the QM2 is still excellent.

DAY 7 Mahi-Mahi

72 Overcast, Calm Seas, Wind 10kts

Slept in till 8:30AM but managed to hit the Britannia by 9:00AM. Once again had great table mates. After breakfast I headed off to my final art class. I had hoped to disembark the ship with a final painting suitable to display in our den but it just wasn't happens. Finally, today was a breakout day. Some good advice from a fellow student along with a new technique demonstrated by our instructor gave me the tools I needed to complete the painting I had worked on all week. Later that day all of our paintings were displayed in a student art show in including my little contribution. It made me feel really good. However, the greater satisfaction came from the fact that our wonderful and incredibly patient instructor had given me the tools and motivation to continue working in this discipline.

Following art class Dee and I headed to the promenade deck and today got our full 9 laps in. From the Promenade Deck we made a bee-line to the Red Lion for our last fish-n-chips. It was the best of the week. The fries were extra crispy and the fish was soooooo sweeet.

Although the noon announcements warned of possible afternoon showers, the weather actually improved throughout the afternoon. After lunch we settled in on a couple of deck chairs on the promenade and relaxed the afternoon away. Unfortunately, today was packing day so we headed back to the cabin at 4:30PM in hopes of getting most of our packing done before dinner. It was like trying to put 5 pounds of sugar into a 3 pound bag. Fortunately, we had packed a couple plastic grocery bags into which went 6 pair of Dee's shoes and 3 pair of mine. Once that problem was solved it was off to dinner.

Tonight I made my first and only mistake in ordering dinner. I had the Mahi-mahi in a spicy curry sauce. I should have had the chicken sausage lasagna that Dee had. She shared a bite and it was delicious. The Mahi-mahi, although a beautiful piece of fish, was just not to my liking in the curry. However, the up-side to only eating a few bites of my dinner was that I had plenty of room left when Rommel set 3 scoops of Rum-raisin ice cream down in front of me for a final night splurge.

Following dinner we headed back to the cabin for some last minute packing then on to the Commodore's Club for one last round of their perfectly made Manhattans. By 11:30PM it looked like Dee and I would be closing the place down for the third night of the week but as we left we noticed Virginia Bates and her posse over on the starboard side of the bar having a good time. The honor was going to be theirs.

OBSERVATION: On our last cruise on the QM2 one of our table mates, Greg, introduced us to Rum Raisin ice-cream. It was intoxicatingly delicious. Since that cruise last May I have bought and sampled more than a dozen brands of Rum Raisin ice-cream. None have come even close to matching it. The interesting thing is that the Rum Raisin ice-cream was not on the menu on any night. On our first night at sea on this cruise I ordered the Rum Raisin ice-cream even though once again, it was not on the menu. When I did, our waiter just smiled and said I would have it tomorrow night. Sure enough, it was set before me the next night and every night for the rest of the crossing. This is just one of the wonderful little mysteries I love about the QM2

DAY 8

70F Raining Light Seas Wind 10kts

Although Captain Philpott had told us the day before that we would be passing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge at 5:00AM on Sunday morning, Dee and I decided to get up at 4:20AM and get up to Deck 14 by 4:40AM. That turned out to be a good plan. The ship actually passed under the bridge at 4:45AM, 15 minutes early. Since it was raining, cold and blowing, we stayed in the covered portion of the deck until the last minute then popped out about a minute before sailing under the bridge. While Captain Philpott told us the QM2 would clear the bridge by four meters it appeared that we actually cleared it by 4 centimeters. Very exciting. As we started back down to our room we were passed by dozens of passengers heading up for the passing. We didn't have the heart to tell them it was over. Back in our room I had time to jump in the shower while Dee made some coffee before the Statue of Liberty came into view. Since it was still raining and blowing pretty hard we were very glad to be in a sheltered balcony. Lady Liberty looked beautiful bathed in bright white lights. After passing the statue we continued getting ready for the day and then around 6:30AM we headed down to the MDR for one last mega breakfast. We knew that back home it would be back to one slice of whole wheat toast and coffee in the morning. After we were seated we noticed that the Statue of Liberty could still be seen out the window of our table. A wonderful end to this voyage. We had a great table of 8 for breakfast and enjoyed everyone's company until about 7:30AM. This year we approached our departure from the QM2 as we would taking off a bandaid, just get it over quickly rather than dragging it out as we did last year. So once back to the room we got the last few things packed, freshened up and were out the door at 8:00AM. It took less than a minute to exit the ship and 2 minutes later we were clearing Customs. There was no lines at this time. What a great voyage this had been. We loved every part of it. There are so many elements to a crossing on the QM2 but this is clearly a case when the sum is greater than the individual parts.

OBSERVATION: When we came out of the terminal after clearing customs there was a line of lime-green cabs with the capital letter "T" on the front doors. A posted sign stated that the fare to Laguardia Airport was $58. I confirmed this with the dispatcher. Following the advice i had previously received here on Cruise Critic I called he Arecibo cab company. The dispatcher told me that the fare to Laguardia was a flat $33. We ordered the cab and within 2 minutes the driver called to confirm the pickup location. Three minutes after that he was there. As soon as we got in the cab the driver confirmed the rate. We were at the airport quickly and were able to get on the 10:00AM flight to Chicago rather than our scheduled 2:00PM flight. While waiting for the cab I did check the Uber rate and it was $34.

COMMENT: Britannia Sheltered Cabin vs. Britannia Club Balcony - Again, as with the taste of the food and the quality of the entertainment, this is a subjective thing but here is our opinion. From day one we preferred the sheltered balcony cabin over the glass fronted Club balcony. The sheltered balcony itself appears to be twice the size and is actually comfortable to use. Yes, most of the time we used it while standing at he rail. However there were times when we enjoyed lounging in the deck chairs. At 6'1" i was able to see the water over the railing however at 5'3" Dee was not able to do so. However I soon found a way to elevate our chairs 4"-5" which solved the problem for both of us. Since I'm not sure Cunard would approve I will have to keep that hint to myself. I had also read on Cruise Critic a number of comments about how convenient the sheltered balcony locations are. Our Cabin, 4138, was a GREAT location. Located between the C and D stairways made it super easy to get to everything. It was quiet and very stable. On the other hand we did miss the "Any Time" dining available in Club level. There were a couple of times on this cruise when we would have preferred to eat after 7:00PM. Also, as previously mentioned, the quieter Club dining room would have helped us. With all this said, I se us booking BOTH sheltered cabins and Club level cabins in the future. We have now spent 14 nights on the QM2 yet there are still so many things we still want to do on this amazing ship.

COMMENT: I was able to take a real good picture of the current MDR seating chart but cannot figure out ho to post it to because of the file size limit on Cruise Critic. However, if anyone would like a copy of the picture sent to them, please send a request to haroldalex@aol.com.

Sorry to be so longwinded.

Harold

Wow! Thanks so much for writing such an extensive review. I really appreciated it and I'm sure others will too.

We were on a ship where they posted signs asking people to walk in the same direction along the promenade and it did no good, there were still those few who went their own way! Very frustrating.

Very interested in the Cunard transfer, I never thought of using it. Is there only the one per day? Also, I assume you did self-disembarkation in Brooklyn?

Thanks again.

For this cruise they had two busses. The first left at 11:30 and the second 30 minutes later The number of busses depends on demand. Last year there were four busses.

Yes we did self disembarkation. We each had a large roller suitcase, however, neither was large enough or heavy enough to incur extra charges from United. We loved the freedom of self disembarkation and I expect we will continue to use it. There were no stairs to negotiate at the Brooklyn terminal.

What an excellent review. The best part was the price you got. When I think of other cruise lines- I think of all you give up.

I go back and forth on the sheltered balcony idea. Maybe it is like flavors of ice cream- keep trying until you decide.

Emily Post question- do you call the MDR to say you are missing your assigned dinner slot? They usually have a paper waiting list. It was interesting the MDR leadership recently on QM2 vs QV seemed to be focused on the whole guest seating issue vs visiting tables- but our service was flawless so did not need supervision. And they did remember our preferences on large window tables for breakfast.

I think drink prices- beer in particular- are in line with other ocean front five star facilities. The charging for tonic by itself seemed strange. (Steerage passenger alert) I might wish for a cheap house red and white - they could buy it by the tanker load- but we can pretend we are in Italy or Greece where the house wine is usually lovely.

Edited by ew101

Thank you for your great review. My husband and I just booked our first QM2 transatlantic, which we will be taking next August prior to a Celebrity cruise to the Norwegian Fjords. I have had so many questions about a sheltered balcony vs. a more open balcony, what kind of weather we might expect, and what the entertainment is like, and so on.So your insights are especially welcome. I am happy that you had such a good time.

Cheryl

CONNMOM

I'm sure you will enjoy your Crossing. Since you are doing the fjords first, I'm assuming you will be doing an east-to-west Crossing. In my opinion this is the best route since you will gain hour every night at 2:00AM rather than losing an hour every day at 2:00PM as you do on a west to east crossing. I also recommend a port (left) side cabin so that you will have a sunny balcony. Even in August the air blowing off the water can be chilly in the shade. Plus, a port (as opposed to starboard) side cabin will have a view of he Statue of Liberty as you enter New York Harbor.

WARNING! Because Cunard packs so many enjoyable activities and great speakers into the daily schedule on these Crossings, it is very easy to get caught up in rushing from one venue to the next and forgetting to leave room for some "railing time" on the Promenade Deck in your schedule. The weather on the North Atlantic is not only unpredictable, it changes very quickly. Dee and I have learned that sometime its best to take advantage of deck chair weather when it comes, even if that means missing a lecture or some other activity.

We are actually doing the New York to Southampton direction and then starting our Fjord cruise in Southampton the day we disembark. I am sorry that we are losing an hour almost every day - we booked late dinner seating to accommodate the shorter afternoons. I guess we might have to book a westbound another year, just to compare, especially if Cunard offers great deals! We have reserved a starboard, sheltered balcony room, so we should get both sun and some protection from wind.

Cheryl

Thank you for your wonderful review! Your sense of humor was so nice to see and made me smile. You always seem to make lemonade out of receiving lemons as seen in your arriving at 6:15 for dinner (early sitting at 6...great idea!) I also loved your many suggestions, tips, comparisons and comments. Also shows that the stars all lined up for you and your wife giving you the great price for your 2nd Cunard cruise! I am not a fashion person but your description of the people and events made me wonder if I could/would learn a thing or two...thanks! Thank you again for your wonderful memory-filled review!

Enjoyed your review and looking forward to my first Cunard cruise late next month - transatlantic, NYC to London. Question - I thought I saw Zandra Rhodes was supposed to be on this fashion week cruise. Was she on your sailing? I knew her back in the early 90s when I was the assistant to her boyfriend and I wish I had booked this trip to say hi to them (if he sailed with her - he's 98 now!), but didn't see her listed until well after I made my plans.

Thanks LynnYVR, my only complaint on the whole cruise was that that the North Atlantic was almost boring.

If you are interested, I've posted a montage of pictures on Youtube under HGQM2-2018. Maybe you will see yourself.

Loved the montage, thank you very much for posting.

MIBELE

We did not see Zandra Rhodes on the Fashion Week cruise (I checked with Dee who went to everything fashion). Just to be sure I just went through my daily programs and she was not listed. I do recall hearing that there was someone who was supposed to be part of the Fashion Week activities but was not able to make it at the last minute. Perhaps it was her although I didn't pay too close attention. After googling her bio, I wish she had been on the ship as she sounds pretty amazing. Based on her bio, I'm guessing that she and Virginia Bates would have known each other pretty well. There is always Fashion Week 2019?

Thanks HH. Dee and I are currently following your voyage postings with great interest. There seems to be a common thread in your pictures and our pictures. In Barcelona please try to take a guided tour of the Sagrada Familia, also known as the Gaudi Cathedral. It is one of the most amazing and moving things we have ever seen.

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are sailing Queen Mary 2 in November for 13 nights (we haven't been on her in 3 years) and your experience has me more excited then ever!

Are you on the November 25th. for 13 days to the Caribbean cruise? If so you will love it. I did the 12 day last year and am on the 13 day this year.

Enjoyed your review and looking forward to my first Cunard cruise late next month - transatlantic, NYC to London. Question - I thought I saw Zandra Rhodes was supposed to be on this fashion week cruise. Was she on your sailing? I knew her back in the early 90s when I was the assistant to her boyfriend and I wish I had booked this trip to say hi to them (if he sailed with her - he's 98 now!), but didn't see her listed until well after I made my plans.

September 2018 was the third year of the Transatlantic Fashion Week voyages , Dame Sandra Rhodes was on the first TFW in 2016.

and Julian McDonald in 2017