Entire trip vs. targeted coverage...

newty25

We're considering medical only and medical evacuation insurance for our trip. But, is there a reason to get trip cancellation coverage? What would make me get trip cancellation besides me just simply not being able to go? What if NCL canceled the trip such as what's going on in Hawaii right now?

Also, how do you calculate cost of the trip when our minors are travelling for free (or taxes and DSC only)? Do I also add in the cost of the flight? And, does that matter if I'm just getting medical and I don't care about the flight costs or missed connections?

I should probably just call someone and talk it out with them and buy whatever coverage they say I need... but I kinda feel like insurance salespeople are like used car dealers. I've known a few in both industries and they've all been smooth-talkers but full of ****.

You've got a lot of questions here and I would recommend actually speaking to a broker from either http://www.tripinsurancestore.com or http://www.insuremytrip.com

However, I'll take a stab at a couple of the questions.

You can get medical and evac only. You buy the insurance but put the cost of travel at $0.00.

I've heard tell that you can get pre-existing condition coverage with that (if you meet the required timeframe) if you put the trip cost at $1.00.

What if NCL cancels the trip?

First, a cruise line rarely "cancels" a voyage. They just change the itinerary (which is within their rights).

If they cancel the entire voyage, you'll get the option of refund or another voyage.

Cost of Kids are free?? No answer

Flights? yes, unless you bought insurance or have coverage elsewhere. Check your credit cards coverage

Does it matter? It can. Most policies require that you cover the "entire" trip if you require a waiver for pre-existing medical coverage.

I could be full of s*** though :eek:, so seek professional advice from one of the brokers mentioned above.