First Crystal Cruise...

tgmtgm

Super excited to have booked my very first Crystal cruise- Baltic Vistas, July 17th 2019, 12 nights from Stockholm to Amsterdam. This has been a bucket list itinerary for me, and spends 3 full days in St. Petersburg, Russia. Anyone who has sailed Crystal as a solo; How was the experience? Any other solos to interact with? I’m not a wallflower by any means, and enjoy my own company, but not knowing the onboard dynamic makes me wonder what to expect.

Thanks. 😁

Tony

Super excited to have booked my very first Crystal cruise- Baltic Vistas, July 17th 2019, 12 nights from Stockholm to Amsterdam. This has been a bucket list itinerary for me, and spends 3 full days in St. Petersburg, Russia. Anyone who has sailed Crystal as a solo; How was the experience? Any other solos to interact with? I’m not a wallflower by any means, and enjoy my own company, but not knowing the onboard dynamic makes me wonder what to expect.

Thanks. 😁

Tony

Hi Tony:D so you are going luxury now too;);;;;;; I just came back from my Silvesea cruise and loved it. From what I have read, Crystal is pretty awesome as well. Maybe post your question on the Crystal forum too. Guess what? I am thinking of trying a Crystal River cruise! I haven't booked it yet but am researching itineraries. Hope you have a great time:D

I was disappointed. Advertising yourself as six-star implies a very high standard; Some things were done very well but others were no better than a mass-market line.

Nightlife was anemic, mostly heavy drinking, (Transatlantic, your itinerary that might not be as important).

Food service was very regimented. Great if you liked what was on offer, but not much choice if you didn't. For example, formal nights were formal, no casual option; The night buffet was a waiter with a tray of sandwiches.

Nobody actually asked "How much do you make" but it didn't seem very far from the surface.

I was disappointed. Advertising yourself as six-star implies a very high standard; Some things were done very well but others were no better than a mass-market line.

Nightlife was anemic, mostly heavy drinking, (Transatlantic, your itinerary that might not be as important).

Food service was very regimented. Great if you liked what was on offer, but not much choice if you didn't. For example, formal nights were formal, no casual option; The night buffet was a waiter with a tray of sandwiches.

Nobody actually asked "How much do you make" but it didn't seem very far from the surface.

Oh wow. Sounds like you didn’t like have a very good experience. Thanks for the insight though. I’m going into it with an open mind, and hope to be impressed. 😉

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have cruised on Crystal several times and have had an entirely different experience than Dancer Bob! I wonder when he last cruised on them? I think the service and crew are just great.

They no longer have "formal" nights, but "gala" nights when men are not even required to wear jackets or ties. However, if they want to wear something fancier such as a tuxedo, they would certainly not be out of place. (basically the only requirement is no shorts, ball caps, ratty jeans and tee shirts in the main dining room for dinner!) The comment about the night buffet being a "waiter with a tray of sandwiches" doesn't even make sense because they don't have a "night buffet". There are waiters going around to the bar/lounge areas in the late evening with trays of hors d'oeuvres.

Food Choice? The food is very good with only rare missteps. You can always ask for something different if you don't like what you ordered and they are good about customizing your meals however you would like.

By 2019 both ships will have been updated and have open seating in the dining room plus four specialty restaurants open for dinner. The Trident Grill is open from morning to early evening for casual food (burgers/wraps). There is also the Bistro that serves snacks for a light bite and drinks until evening (10:00-11:00 pm-ish?). Heavy drinking? Certainly not the focus any time I was on board. Entertainment? Yes, and a pretty good variety in my book.

Finally, I have told many people who asked about my experiences on Crystal (I have always been solo) and the main thing I tell them is how friendly and interesting the fellow passengers I have met are! The guest lecturers and entertainers I have met are sociable and friendly too. I'm sure there have been some passengers who are into wealth/status comparisons but I have not felt even a hint of that.

I really enjoy Crystal and am guessing you will too! Have a great time!

~Nancy

Hi Tony,

I have cruised on Crystal several times and have had an entirely different experience than Dancer Bob! I wonder when he last cruised on them? I think the service and crew are just great.

They no longer have "formal" nights, but "gala" nights when men are not even required to wear jackets or ties. However, if they want to wear something fancier such as a tuxedo, they would certainly not be out of place. (basically the only requirement is no shorts, ball caps, ratty jeans and tee shirts in the main dining room for dinner!) The comment about the night buffet being a "waiter with a tray of sandwiches" doesn't even make sense because they don't have a "night buffet". There are waiters going around to the bar/lounge areas in the late evening with trays of hors d'oeuvres.

Food Choice? The food is very good with only rare missteps. You can always ask for something different if you don't like what you ordered and they are good about customizing your meals however you would like.

By 2019 both ships will have been updated and have open seating in the dining room plus four specialty restaurants open for dinner. The Trident Grill is open from morning to early evening for casual food (burgers/wraps). There is also the Bistro that serves snacks for a light bite and drinks until evening (10:00-11:00 pm-ish?). Heavy drinking? Certainly not the focus any time I was on board. Entertainment? Yes, and a pretty good variety in my book.

Finally, I have told many people who asked about my experiences on Crystal (I have always been solo) and the main thing I tell them is how friendly and interesting the fellow passengers I have met are! The guest lecturers and entertainers I have met are sociable and friendly too. I'm sure there have been some passengers who are into wealth/status comparisons but I have not felt even a hint of that.

I really enjoy Crystal and am guessing you will too! Have a great time!

~Nancy

Thank you, Nancy!

Faith in my fellow cruisers has been restored thanks to your thoughtful overview! 😉

Tony