Medical only insurance for NY residents

nicecruiser

Desperately need advise from CC members. We usually buy only medical insurance from Geoblue prior to our cruise. Our credit card has a sufficient coverage for trip cancellation/delay etc. Yesterday I found out that GeoBlue are not covered NY anymore. On insuremytrip I found IMG and on square mouth I found Trawick international, I do not know what to chose. Looking for advise what medical insurance we could/should buy. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Desperately need advise from CC members. We usually buy only medical insurance from Geoblue prior to our cruise. Our credit card has a sufficient coverage for trip cancellation/delay etc. Yesterday I found out that GeoBlue are not covered NY anymore. On insuremytrip I found IMG and on square mouth I found Trawick international, I do not know what to chose. Looking for advise what medical insurance we could/should buy. Thank you.

I'd STRONGLY suggest that you contact www.TripInsuranceStore.com ASAP

They are a broker who handles travel policies from several vetted insurers.

(We've had many policies from them, and a few claims, all of which were paid promptly, with no nonsense, including two large claims. And that's what matters... getting claims paid...)

CALL them; do not just rely upon online policy summaries. The "fine print" can really matter here!

Your timing, in terms of initial deposit and final payment dates may matter a *lot*, so call asap please to keep options open if they still exist.

Good luck!

GC

Thank you for advise. I talked to Steve from insurance store and they only deal with Geoblue medical insurance.

Try InsureMyTrip - https://www.insuremytrip.com/?linkId=30492&gclid=CjwKCAjwns_bBRBCEiwA7AVGHmu_gLgfISjnm2BnMJclTpYsQd-0dCH7qQFmWXzoecndkfkHc-_3fhoCb2oQAvD_BwE

DON

• 3 weeks later...
We too were disappointed to find that GeoBlue is no longer available to NY residents. We are now looking for alternatives!

Yes, that is a bummer. We are not sure exactly what the issue is...but it appears to have something to do with coordination (or lack thereof) of several BC/BS plans in your State. Another issue in our country is that each State has their own Insurance Commissions with their own licensing/marketing rules. This has long be cited as a major reason why healthcare costs in our country continue to increase at a dizzying rate. It is called "lack of competition."

Hank

Yes, that is a bummer. We are not sure exactly what the issue is...but it appears to have something to do with coordination (or lack thereof) of several BC/BS plans in your State. Another issue in our country is that each State has their own Insurance Commissions with their own licensing/marketing rules. This has long be cited as a major reason why healthcare costs in our country continue to increase at a dizzying rate. It is called "lack of competition."

Hank

IMHO, New York has the most restrictive and protective insurance department in the country. And I think that's great. Who knows what goes on in some other loosey-goosey states. I don't live in New York, but I won't do business with an insurance company that can't issue policies in New York.

Nicecruiser:

I just found that United Healthcare offers a "Safetrip Annual Frequent Traveler" policy.

That may work for you as well- we are in Washington and just dropped by Geoblue; or should I really say that Washington dropped Geoblue!

IMHO, New York has the most restrictive and protective insurance department in the country. And I think that's great. Who knows what goes on in some other loosey-goosey states. I don't live in New York, but I won't do business with an insurance company that can't issue policies in New York.

Hmmm. On one level I do agree :). New York State used to have an excellent insurance department (by reputation) as do many of our States. But in 2011, Governor Cuomo combined that department and their Banking Department into a new New York State Department of Financial Services. Since this happened after I retired from our own State government, I have no clue as to whether this merger helped or hurt the regulatory agency.

The ability to issue policies in a State is not always related to quality...but can also be related to a government bureaucracy more interested in protecting their own turf..or perhaps protecting a few large insurance companies who are very generous when it comes to donating to various political campaigns. Even State Insurance Regulators have to live with political realities. Personally, I would not use NY State as a bellwether on whether a health insurance company is a good provider. As a simple example, Kaiser Permanente does not operate in New York State...but does certainly have an excellent reputation. In fact there are many health insurance companies that avoid New York State because it is an expensive State in terms of health costs and taxes.

Somebody recently posted that GeoBlue will no longer issue policies in New York (I am not sure if this is true). GeoBlue is an excellent company (part of the Blue Cross/Blue Shield network who does write policies in nearly all the States (with only a few exceptions). If they have ceased doing business in New York we would take a wild guess that is has more to do with Empire Blue....then it does with the State government.

Hank

Hank-

We live in Washington and our Medicare Supplement Plan is "Regence" which is a part of the Blue Cross umbrella, so I am not sure what our lovely government is up to except now we can not get Geoblue.