Percent of world cruise doing whole cruise

rcandkc

Yes, we were on the World Cruise in 2017. We had about 300 world cruisers on the Navigator, and the rest were segmenters. I'm not positive, but I though I heard for the 2018 WC they capped the WC passenger number at around 150. Mariner is a bigger ship, and if they cap the number of world cruisers, then it should be less of an issue.

We met lots of wonderful passengers that were only doing 1-2 segments. I do think I heard some grumbling from passengers who boarded for the last 2 segments. By then, many of us had formed friendship groups, but we still talked with and socialized with everyone.

Hope that helps, and really consider booking. We are currently on the Explorer, and everything is great,

I’m looking at a leg of a world cruise but worried we’ll be an outsider if most are doing whole 131 days. Any experience with this?

We just did the full 2017 world cruise and there were 190 of the 450 possible who were full world cruise passengers. Some of our "best new" friends were only on 1 or 2 segments including the last segment. It was exciting to meet the new comers and sad when they left.

We regularly cruise different lines and I feel the passengers on Regent are a bit more out going and if you want to be included you will be.

In the last few years we have done segments on four different world cruises - Princess, Seabourn, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth including the last segment on one. Yes, people have formed groups, but we have never felt left out. Of course, it may help that my husband has never met a stranger!! I am more reserved and we are not "a joined at the hip" couple, but I have never felt excluded either.

Go and enjoy...there are some extra benefits on board as the staff is in high gear for the world cruise... even if just for a segment! It is a wonderful experience.

Carolyn

cwn - 2018, no? We were there with you :)

We bit the bullet and booked WC 2021...what the heck, you only live once!

Opps!! Yes 2018! And guess it should be 490 passengers also!How are you traveling companions? Aren't you on the Navigator now? Our boys are still having withdrawal symptoms!

Great! The first part of the 2021 WC looks good..a little different for a change. Only wish it was going back to NY. Though I don't think I will ever get Dick back on a 100 plus day voyage. But we are looking at a couple of cruises in 2020/2021.

We've done a few segments of World Cruises and can count on one hand the number of people who've been dismissive of us as "segmenters" (horrible word...I won't use it again). One woman lambasted us for making the ship like a "country bus" and stated to our faces that she was not going to waste time getting to know us because it wasn't worth it. She was by far the exception to the rule, thank goodness. I'd like to think that it was her loss ;p

We've realised we prefer "journey" cruises and since most of them are part of a longer voyage, then that's how it is. I think that makes for far more interesting itineraries and different ports of call from the norm. I think the atmosphere on such cruises is way more relaxed - people don't feel they have to cram in two visits to every restaurant/go to the show every night/do everything on offer as they do if they have only a limited time frame. We like that easy going approach very much indeed and offer that as another reason why you shouldn't think twice, rcandkc. Go for it!

We've done a few segments of World Cruises and can count on one hand the number of people who've been dismissive of us as "segmenters" (horrible word...I won't use it again). One woman lambasted us for making the ship like a "country bus" and stated to our faces that she was not going to waste time getting to know us because it wasn't worth it. She was by far the exception to the rule, thank goodness. I'd like to think that it was her loss ;p

We've realised we prefer "journey" cruises and since most of them are part of a longer voyage, then that's how it is. I think that makes for far more interesting itineraries and different ports of call from the norm. I think the atmosphere on such cruises is way more relaxed - people don't feel they have to cram in two visits to every restaurant/go to the show every night/do everything on offer as they do if they have only a limited time frame. We like that easy going approach very much indeed and offer that as another reason why you shouldn't think twice, rcandkc. Go for it!

Gilly, what is journey cruises?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Gilly,

You are so right and did a much better job describing the laid back atmosphere on the long cruises i.e. World Cruises or Grand Voyages than I did.

Unfortunately the odd rude/crude person crosses ones path, but not often if at all and they are easily avoided.

Kiwifromkiev

Journey cruises are like the Circle South America, the World Cruise and the like...a group of segments from point A to point B sold as one cruise, but also sold as segments.

I didn’t realize they cap the number of world passengers. The segment would be the last leg.

I don't know that there was a cap on the number of world cruisers on the 2018 WC. We signed on the at final payment in June 2017. At first, we were going to have to move suites, but then one opened up for the full voyage so, of course, we took it. A few days later a better suite opened for the full voyage, but we were happy with the one we had.

There were 190 WCers 2018, but 300 WCers 2017.

If you like the itinerary of the last segment, I say go for it. You will have a very relaxing cruise and enjoy some of the special things done for the World Cruise.

Thanks Carolyn - yes, I think of a "journey" cruise as one which starts at A and sails some distance to a port B in a completely different country/continent. So, Singapore to Cape Town as last year, Sydney to Singapore, Hong Kong to Beijing (I know, same country but far apart), Bangkok to Athens....that kind of thing. The destination is often very different from the point of departure, as are the ports along the way, unlike, say, a Mediterranean cruise or an Alaskan itinerary, where the ship is simply sailing to and fro for a while.

Thanks Carolyn - yes, I think of a "journey" cruise as one which starts at A and sails some distance to a port B in a completely different country/continent. So, Singapore to Cape Town as last year, Sydney to Singapore, Hong Kong to Beijing (I know, same country but far apart), Bangkok to Athens....that kind of thing. The destination is often very different from the point of departure, as are the ports along the way, unlike, say, a Mediterranean cruise or an Alaskan itinerary, where the ship is simply sailing to and fro for a while.

I love that kind of cruise too! We did a segment of what was called in those days by Regent, a "Grand Circle" or something such. It went from Rome or somewhere in the Med. through the Suez, down around Africa, over to Rio and then up the SA coast through the Caribbean to Miami. We did the last segment and never felt left out or snubbed by the full circle people.

Gilly, I love those kinds of cruises...with several segments traveling to far flung parts of the world. I always feel so smug knowing I don't have to pack up when lots of others are groaning about packing...of course, my time is coming, just not yet!!!

The reason the 2017 WC had so many Full Cruisers was that it was the first one Regent had done in a number of years (2010? or 2011?). 2018 was more "normal" I expect.

I have no idea what the number is for '19 but assume it will be closer to the '18 number than '17.

And I agree with the other posters - Gilly, Carolyn, Wendy - sailing for less than the full cruise is not an issue.

Peggy

Opps!! Yes 2018! And guess it should be 490 passengers also!How are you traveling companions? Aren't you on the Navigator now? Our boys are still having withdrawal symptoms!

Great! The first part of the 2021 WC looks good..a little different for a change.

Yes, we are onboard Nav now as "segmenters" Copenhagen to Amsterdam only. Have adopted a few new kids along the way and brought all to dinner last night. Gives the crew a good laugh or two, especially when they ask "Where's Paulie?" or any one of the other regulars. We do not feel as outsiders on this trip but then again we have 6 friends with us as well as others we've sailed with on previous voyages. Regent ALWAYS makes us feel right at home.

When will Regent add segments to the 2021 cruise. I couldn’t stay on a ship for 4 months, however there is a piece of this cruise that I’m very interested in.

Does this depend on whether they sell the whole cruise ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SWMbI and I boarded Navigator on her ATW cruise last February at Auckland. The following (1st sea day) the ship/cruise director threw a 'Block Party' in which bubbly, canapes, hats and name tags were provided in order that cruisers meet their fellow corridor mates at a minimum. The ship's officers sidled through and we thoroughly enjoyed the event.

We later this happened numerous times during the voyage.

This was one of the friendliest cruises we've taken - as well as our best ever.

Run! Don't walk to your TA to reserve this cruise - or as much of it as you can afford to be away from home.

JMBobB

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are looking at what cabins are still open for the last segment. I can’t be away from home more than 3 weeks due to RA treatment at the doctors office. Specialized biological drug given at doctors office. Looking at another cruise too near same time. Before that...we are headed out end of October this year😀.

Well...we went a totally different direction for 2020 cruise. We are doing our first TA in 2019 so decided before booking another and at end of 2020 world cruise, we should do our first TA and see how we like it. Instead we booked Splendor Caribbean cruise in 2020.

I so appreciate all comments. It makes me look even more forward to our upcoming October cruise.