Hotel close to San Diego cruise ship terminal

sandancer

There's a brand new Hilton Garden Inn 4 or 5 blocks from the cruise terminal

Google it for the exact address

Srpilo

I stayed at this property after my February 2018 cruise. They share facilities with a Homewood Suites. Nice hotel; I recommend it.

Roz

• 3 weeks later...

thanks and keep posting...we love Cruise Critic

Being a Canadian..prices are way up there for our march sailing 2019, plus we have to add about 30 cents on the dollar..so makes it really expensive for one night...there must be just as good hotels near by, so my question is ...some people must pick other hotels less money, but still good, and everything seems to be close from airport to port...any sugguestions please

Edited by montana200024

Being a Canadian..prices are way up there for our march sailing 2019, plus we have to add about 30 cents on the dollar..so makes it really expensive for one night...there must be just as good hotels near by, so my question is ...some people must pick other hotels less money, but still good, and everything seems to be close from airport to port...any sugguestions please

Do you belong to an auto club? In CA I belong to AAA and I get a very good discount on hotel rooms, pays for my membership in one nights stay. I would guess you could join a US based auto club (you don't have to insure your vehicles) get a member number and use that to make a reservation.

Being a GOV employee I use either my AAA, AARP or GOV rates to book hotels. Most times my AAA rate is the lesser of them all.

Also, the further out you stay from downtown the cheaper it is, for the most part. Look around Hazard Center or even Rancho Bernardo, all of which are a quick drive to the port.

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

Do you belong to an auto club? In CA I belong to AAA and I get a very good discount on hotel rooms, pays for my membership in one nights stay. I would guess you could join a US based auto club (you don't have to insure your vehicles) get a member number and use that to make a reservation.

Being a GOV employee I use either my AAA, AARP or GOV rates to book hotels. Most times my AAA rate is the lesser of them all.

Also, the further out you stay from downtown the cheaper it is, for the most part. Look around Hazard Center or even Rancho Bernardo, all of which are a quick drive to the port.

I have CAA, which is similar, I will try that, thanks

I have CAA, which is similar, I will try that, thanks

I am Hilton brand loyal and that always works for me. I have always saved a bunch of $$ using my AAA discount. Sometimes the GOV rate is less and only once have I been asked for my GOV ID. But most times the AAA discount is within a few $$ of the GOV rate.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Holiday Inn San Diego - Bayside, which is just north of the airport, which is just north of the cruise pier. The Hilton Garden Inn splits a building with the Homewood Suites, which like better than the HGI and the SpringHill Suites splits a building with the Residence Inn, which I like better than the SHS.

La Pensione is small and charming and a great location in the heart of Little Italy.

Rite Aid has a nice selection of wine, Ralph's a better one, but if you are in SD for a couple of days or just want nice wine, go visit The Wine Bank in the Gaslamp, It is a little over a mile from the cruise terminal, but it has a phenomenal collection in their underground cellar. It's at 5th & J Street.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

Do you know if any of the hotels mentioned provide shuttle service to the port?

Wyndam will shuttle you across the street, but unless you have mobility issues, it is not worth the bother.  In fact, if you are in the tower which is right in front of the pier, the walk to the hotel's front desk is almost exactly the same distance as the walk to the pier!

On 11/25/2018 at 8:29 PM, luvn2cruzzz said:

Do you know if any of the hotels mentioned provide shuttle service to the port?

The SpingHill Suites and Residence Inn Bayfront are directly across the street from the cruise port, see the map below.

SpringHill Suites/Residece Inn Bayfront

The Holiday Inn Bayside does have a shuttle, I doubt the HGI or Homewood Suites does, but I don't know.

19 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The SpingHill Suites and Residence Inn Bayfront are directly across the street from the cruise port, see the map below.

SpringHill Suites/Residece Inn Bayfront

The Holiday Inn Bayside does have a shuttle, I doubt the HGI or Homewood Suites does, but I don't know.

I really likes Springhill Suites but the one thing I missed was an airport shuttle (angh d to the pier).  The Wyndam next door has one, so does the very close Hampton, so why not Springhill/Residence??  It is an easy walk to the pier, but some people may not be mobile enough to do it and need the shuttle.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, montana200024 said:

We are staying at Baymont at 719 Ash Street in late January.  They have a shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to the cruise terminal which is less than a mile away.  Has good and not so good reviews, but as long as the sheets are clean and there is hot water, I am fine with it.  It is walkable to Little Italy, our favorite place in San Diego for a good Italian meal.  We often stay in Point Loma which is about 2 miles from the airport.  Great walking area (flat), where the fishing boats are located.  Know the hotels have free shuttle from airport but you might have to pay for shuttle/taxi to cruise terminal.  We usually stay at Best Western Yacht Harbor on N. Harbor Drive.  Hope you find what you are looking for.  P.S.  Expedia seems to have the best prices, keep checking as they fluxuate.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:38 AM, scottca075 said:

I don't think anyone mentioned the Holiday Inn San Diego - Bayside, which is just north of the airport, which is just north of the cruise pier. The Hilton Garden Inn splits a building with the Homewood Suites, which like better than the HGI and the SpringHill Suites splits a building with the Residence Inn, which I like better than the SHS.

La Pensione is small and charming and a great location in the heart of Little Italy.

Rite Aid has a nice selection of wine, Ralph's a better one, but if you are in SD for a couple of days or just want nice wine, go visit The Wine Bank in the Gaslamp, It is a little over a mile from the cruise terminal, but it has a phenomenal collection in their underground cellar. It's at 5th & J Street.

We are booked at holiday inn bayside

For our cruise

On 11/30/2018 at 12:22 PM, gulfwench said:

We are staying at Baymont at 719 Ash Street in late January.  They have a shuttle from the airport and a shuttle to the cruise terminal which is less than a mile away.  Has good and not so good reviews, but as long as the sheets are clean and there is hot water, I am fine with it.  It is walkable to Little Italy, our favorite place in San Diego for a good Italian meal.  We often stay in Point Loma which is about 2 miles from the airport.  Great walking area (flat), where the fishing boats are located.  Know the hotels have free shuttle from airport but you might have to pay for shuttle/taxi to cruise terminal.  We usually stay at Best Western Yacht Harbor on N. Harbor Drive.  Hope you find what you are looking for.  P.S.  Expedia seems to have the best prices, keep checking as they fluxuate.

I think the Baymont is a horrible location in Downtown and while in theory it is walkable to Little Italy, it is not an area I'd walk through, especially at night.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:35 AM, scottca075 said:

I think the Baymont is a horrible location in Downtown and while in theory it is walkable to Little Italy, it is not an area I'd walk through, especially at night.

I have to agree.  I wouldn't stay there and plan to walk to anything I would want to be.  UBER maybe but not walk.  

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting the link for the Convention Center.  We are cruising out of San Diego 2/1/2020 and have not cruised before from this port. So far it looks like no convention during the preceeding couple days, until 2/4/20 so maybe we will be able to stay where we want. I appreciate all the input! 😎

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Peckishpixie said:

I know this is an old post but, which of the Hampton Inns is the one by the Marina? I find Hampton Inns kind of charming and always consistant so it sounds like a good fit.

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown. 

1531 Pacific Hwy,

San Diego, CA 92101

1-619-23-8408.

This is right off of my reservation. Its at the intersection of Pacific and Beech (NE corner).  About three blocks from the pier.  

One thing to be aware of - the train tracks run right behind the hotel, so ask for a bay facing (or front of hotel) room.  It is not real bad IMO,, but light sleepers might not like it.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, sj25 said:

Can anyone tell me if the Residence Inn San Diego Downton : 1747 Pacific Highway is like? 

I can get it for $154 with Gov discount for month of Oct

Very nice hotel, co-located with Springhill Suites - they share all the ammenities, like the free breakfast, pool, and even the same check-in desk.  It is about 2 years old and is just across from the pier (we walked our luggage to the ship in about 5 minutes).

I really liked the plae (we stated on the Springhill side) - great staff - and would stay again.  $154 is a good price IMO.  Only negative is no airport shuttle.

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Very nice hotel, co-located with Springhill Suites - they share all the ammenities, like the free breakfast, pool, and even the same check-in desk.  It is about 2 years old and is just across from the pier (we walked our luggage to the ship in about 5 minutes).

I really liked the plae (we stated on the Springhill side) - great staff - and would stay again.  $154 is a good price IMO.  Only negative is no airport shuttle.

I think that's a different RI than the one OP is asking about.  I believe the RI & Springhill are on Bay View.  There are actually three RI in downtown San Diego.   We have stayed at the one on Pacific Highway and it's always been nice.  I don't think you will want to walk with luggage to the cruise port.  But it's close enough you could.  That's a really good price for downtown SD.  

Downside is the train runs right behind so try to get a room towards the front.  There is a trolley stop right there so you can ride the trolley down to Gaslamp for a nice meal.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

34 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I don't think you will want to walk with luggage to the cruise port.  But it's close enough you could.  

I'm 66, and a month ago wheeled 2 suitcases by myself from the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway over to the terminal.  Wonder Woman! 🏋️‍♀️

Roz

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Hampton is less than desirable...train noise can be a big problem.

Problem is the train tracks run right down the waterfront pretty much parallel with Pacific Highway so you have to be careful about how close they are to any hotel along the waterfront.  They do their best not to sound the horn at night, but you still hear the crossing arms and train.  We stay frequently at the Hilton Gaslamp and even being in the heart of tourist area the train runs right in front and will still wake you in the middle of the night if your window is open.    

54 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm 66, and a month ago wheeled 2 suitcases by myself from the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway over to the terminal.  Wonder Woman! 🏋️‍♀️

Roz

You must pack lighter than my DW.  We have done the same from the Embassy Suites.