Cruise ship passenger fined for having cannabis

Charles4515

We were on the Summit July 22-29. An elderly woman from PA was detained the first morning we were in port. Rumors on board say she was still in Bermudian custody upon our departure. I happened to be at Guest Services the first day when her husband was pleading with Celebrity Staff to get an update on her or at minimum tell him where she was taken. It was quite sad. He appeared on his 70s and according the his story she was very ill and had the PA medical card. Still not legal. Should have done their homework. I can’t find any info on it in the papers.

We also had another couple surrounded at debarkation by about 5 agents and hauled off.

It was an interesting cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Please excise my obvious ignorance on the subject. My husband was recently given a jar of CBD to rub on his leg for pain, being told it is not and nothing like e marijuana with no psychotropic properties. We don't smoke or drink alcohol, so it's important to us. It is really helpful in relieving the pain, but we are afraid to take it with us on our cruise leaving in about 2 weeks. We will be in St. George overnight. At our age, we certainly do not want to be detained by authorities.

Thank you for any help. I've tried to research this, but to no avail.

Jennie

Please excise my obvious ignorance on the subject. My husband was recently given a jar of CBD to rub on his leg for pain, being told it is not and nothing like e marijuana with no psychotropic properties. We don't smoke or drink alcohol, so it's important to us. It is really helpful in relieving the pain, but we are afraid to take it with us on our cruise leaving in about 2 weeks. We will be in St. George overnight. At our age, we certainly do not want to be detained by authorities.

Thank you for any help. I've tried to research this, but to no avail.

Jennie

Medical Marijuana is not legal at this time in Bermuda. If you read the articles the authorities don’t care if you claim it for medical purposes. They will still arrest and fine. But CBD Oil is sold over the counter in Bermuda by a pharmacist. It has to have a low level of THC.

http://bernews.com/2018/01/cbd-products-now-available-at-phoenix-stores/

Not sure what this would mean for you bringing it with you. Seems like a grey area.

Edited by Charles4515

Medical Marijuana is not legal at this time in Bermuda. If you read the articles the authorities don’t care if you claim it for medical purposes. They will still arrest and fine. But CBD Oil is sold over the counter in Bermuda by a pharmacist. It has to have a low level of THC.

http://bernews.com/2018/01/cbd-products-now-available-at-phoenix-stores/

Not sure what this would mean for you bringing it with you. Seems like a grey area.

Another option may be, wait until you arrive and purchase some there, that way it is had in a legally approved way.

bon voyage

Another option may be, wait until you arrive and purchase some there, that way it is had in a legally approved way.

bon voyage

There is a photo in the article of what is being sold. Perhaps if it is one of those brands like Real Scientific or labeled Hemp Oil it would not be questioned. The idea of getting it there is a good one but I think the pharmacy is in Hamilton and the price is likely to be higher than purchased in the US.

Edited by Charles4515

There is a photo in the article of what is being sold. Perhaps if it is one of those brands like Real Scientific or labeled Hemp Oil it would not be questioned. The idea of getting it there is a good one but I think the pharmacy is in Hamilton and the price is likely to be higher than purchased in the US.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. This is made by CBDClinics. It looks and smells like Vaseline and we bought it at the doctor's office. We've decided it's not worth the stress, so it's staying home. The cruise will allow adequate rest and his pain might not be as bad. The ship is small and there won't be much walking at all. This is very new to us (just started about three weeks ago) and we were skeptical, but amazed at how well it works.

We've been on more than 30 cruises, but this is our first on Oceania. It appears that it will be just the right "fit" for us. We are looking forward to meeting the nice folks that seem to be Oceania regulars.

Thanks again

Jennie

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. This is made by CBDClinics. It looks and smells like Vaseline and we bought it at the doctor's office. We've decided it's not worth the stress, so it's staying home. The cruise will allow adequate rest and his pain might not be as bad. The ship is small and there won't be much walking at all. This is very new to us (just started about three weeks ago) and we were skeptical, but amazed at how well it works.

We've been on more than 30 cruises, but this is our first on Oceania. It appears that it will be just the right "fit" for us. We are looking forward to meeting the nice folks that seem to be Oceania regulars.

Thanks again

Jennie

Have you tried Salonpas cream or patches? It’s lidocaine, over the counter. I use it for my shoulders & neck. I have RA and it takes the edge off the pain when it’s really painful. 70ec61588082c3dfa2143d5f6307bdea.jpg

Have you tried Salonpas cream or patches? It’s lidocaine, over the counter. I use it for my shoulders & neck. I have RA and it takes the edge off the pain when it’s really painful. 70ec61588082c3dfa2143d5f6307bdea.jpg

Okay, I did respond with quote this morning, but it never showed up.

Thank you so much for the suggestion of Salonpas. I ordered the cream and the roll-on. Even if it helps just a little, it will help my honey get through the day. In fact, I have an autoimmune connective tissue problem with pain in many areas, so I think it just might be helpful for me, as well.

Thanks again for your response and the suggestion.

Best regards,

Jennie

Okay, I did respond with quote this morning, but it never showed up.

Thank you so much for the suggestion of Salonpas. I ordered the cream and the roll-on. Even if it helps just a little, it will help my honey get through the day. In fact, I have an autoimmune connective tissue problem with pain in many areas, so I think it just might be helpful for me, as well.

Thanks again for your response and the suggestion.

Best regards,

Jennie

Happy that helped! Have a great trip.

I had long suspected this happened to me once. I turned down a really pushy dude (and everyone else who offered it to me) because even 19 year old me was smart enough to not do stuff like that in a foreign country. When we returned from our excursion to get back on the ship, the police patted me down in a very invasive manner. I had a few red stripes that day and got pretty mouthy when the Jamaica pigs started grabbing for my "package" and caused enough of a scene that they let me go. I was really embarassed and saw the first guy who tried to sell it to me near the swine tent. They had to have had some type of racket going on. I hope they all are living a miserable life.

Of course it was a scam between the police and the dealer. He gives them a kickback and gets his drugs returned to sell another day. He probably pointed you out to the police because you wouldn't buy from him just so you'd get hassled.

Not sure why the cruise ships continue to stop at the ports that are known for these kind of shakedowns.

• 2 weeks later...
This one is a little different. Trio from the Summit charged with trying to import a controlled substance: http://bernews.com/2018/09/court-u-s-nationals-charged-with-importing/

SBtS

Someone on Summit on that sailing reported witnessing an arrest when the ship arrived. That article expalins what they saw.

• 3 weeks later...

Two more cruise ship passengers fined for Cannabis. Big fines. Don’t do it people. Don’t ruin your vacation by bringing cannabis to a foreign country. Does not matter if you have a medical marijuana card or if you leave it in your cabin and don’t take it off the ship. When the ship is in Bermuda waters their laws apply.

http://www.royalgazette.com/court/article/20181003/tourists-face-stiff-fines-for-cannabis

Had a tablemate that worked for a cruise line security at corporate, loved her drink cards, she was on vacation anyway we were walking to dinner past a row of cabins and smelled "that smell". She excused herself and later on when she made it to dinner said she couldn't comment on what exactly happened but she said she informed the ships head of security and they contacted Bermudian authorities.

Only can assume they came onboard to perform a search.

Had a tablemate that worked for a cruise line security at corporate, loved her drink cards, she was on vacation anyway we were walking to dinner past a row of cabins and smelled "that smell". She excused herself and later on when she made it to dinner said she couldn't comment on what exactly happened but she said she informed the ships head of security and they contacted Bermudian authorities.

Only can assume they came onboard to perform a search.

What does "loved her drink cards" have to do with the story? lol.

I am all for doing the right thing but you are on vacation, not working, why be a snitch?

What does "loved her drink cards" have to do with the story? lol.

I am all for doing the right thing but you are on vacation, not working, why be a snitch?

The moral of the story is that one never knows who will smell the weed and might tip off security or Bermuda police.

Maybe I am misofformed but isn't marijuana legal in bermuda now.

You are misinformed. A change was made that decriminalizes possession of small amounts but it is still illegal.

http://mobile.royalgazette.com/editorials/article/20171215/spoiler-alert-cannabis-is-just-as-illegal-today-as-it-was-yesterday&template=mobileart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk