San Francisco Hotels near pier

pmjnh

I am looking for recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel near the cruise ship pier in San Francisco. I have not been to the city before so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not knowing where the pier is located, does anyone know if there is a Marriott nearby?

Thanks

Don't get hung up on being close to the pier. San Francisco is very compact. There are several Marriott properties within ten minutes of the pier. We enjoy the Union Square area and usually do the Westin St Francis or one of the Hilton hotels. If you look at a map of the pier area the cruise ships usually leave from around Pier 31 or 33.

Don't get hung up on being close to the pier. San Francisco is very compact. There are several Marriott properties within ten minutes of the pier. We enjoy the Union Square area and usually do the Westin St Francis or one of the Hilton hotels. If you look at a map of the pier area the cruise ships usually leave from around Pier 31 or 33.

Ah...the cruise terminal is Pier 27, back up, if more than one ship in, is Pier 35.

A quick search of the board for hotels finds:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2527801&highlight=San+Francisco+hotels

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2467341&highlight=San+Francisco+hotels

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2560254&highlight=San+Francisco+hotels

If you are being loyal to Marriott, search their website, with Pier 27 as the target. I know there is at least one in the lower Market St area...1.25-1.50 miles away.

Pier numbering for San Francisco is a little deceiving as Pier 31 and the James R. Herman Cruise terminal (Pier 27) are directly next to each other. There are no piers in between. Looking at the map it appears all the Marriott hotels are about equal distance from the piers.

Pier numbering for San Francisco is a little deceiving as Pier 31 and the James R. Herman Cruise terminal (Pier 27) are directly next to each other. There are no piers in between. Looking at the map it appears all the Marriott hotels are about equal distance from the piers.

Actually, if you look closely, Pier 29 is between 27 and 31.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's a Marriott and a Marriott Courtyard in the Fisherman's Wharf area--I would recommend staying in one of those two...lots of restaurants, shops and "touristy" things in the area. I prefer it to Union Square --which can be a little busy and noisy...Fisherman's Wharf area is very walkable...Yeah, it's a bit touristy--but, hey, this is your first visit, right?

We stayed at the Marriott a couple of blocks from the fisherman’s wharf. Easy walk to the wharf & the crookedest street & we used public transportation to everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are not too far from one another but they are not right next to each other.

Keith

• 7 months later...
There's a Marriott and a Marriott Courtyard in the Fisherman's Wharf area--I would recommend staying in one of those two...lots of restaurants, shops and "touristy" things in the area. I prefer it to Union Square --which can be a little busy and noisy...Fisherman's Wharf area is very walkable...Yeah, it's a bit touristy--but, hey, this is your first visit, right?

(a bit delayed response )..but thank you for the recommendations!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peterp, you might want to look at the Columbus Motor Inn. It's a few blocks from Fisherman's Wharf, safe area, recently remodeled and much less expensive than the big chains. It's part of a small local chain. There's no pool or fitness center but I don't use those anyway. Walkable to many things and a bus stop right out front. Walgreens almost next door.

How is the Marina area for hotels? We are going in March and it seems that the areas downtown, by the Wharf, and other areas are all VERY pricie. Trying to spend all of our money in a two day stopover to our Hawaii cruise.

Peter,

I've stayed in the Marina District quite a bit of late...because my daughter lives there. We've found the Cow Hollow Motor Inn to be nice (It's part of a small local chain that includes the afore-mentioned Columbus Motor Inn and a few others)...They are not fancy, but clean, with ample rooms, reasonably priced (for San Francisco) and have free parking (great for us because we often drive up). The Marina District is actually quite a trendy area with lots of trendy bars and restaurants (mostly along Lombard Street)...and Lombard is quite walkable--even at night. It's not a difficult walk to the Wharf area, but there is also a public bus (#30) that will take you from the Marina, along Chestnut) to the Wharf and on to North Beach and the Financial District...Most, if not all, of the hotels in the Marina are smaller, older "motels" rather than the nice first class hotels you may find in the Financial District or the Wharf...but many are nice, safe and reasonable...and the area is relatively safe and upscale...

• 7 months later...