Taking Amtrak to Newark and staying at Renaissance...Um...

Nessa1dc

Could you provide more details? Have you booked any noncancellable reservations? What is your hotel budget and number of people? Exact date? Estimated arrival time? Bed size requirements? Do you use Uber? There are so many variables. Not much at the airport except the Jersey Gardens Mall and chain restaurants. Many hotels like the Renaissance offer free breakfast but no other food service. You can go into New York City, but that's easiest from a downtown Newark or Jersey City hotel.

From hotel website -

Sample the classic American cuisine with a European twist in the Ironbound Grill or sumptuous cocktails in our Lobby Bar.

I have NEVER seen a Renaissance without a restaurant. Possibly a Courtyard, and Fairfields only have breakfast. But Marriott, Renaissance, etc, all have restaurants.

Are you locked in to the Renaissance? Why not look for a hotel near Newark Penn station?

They said they were not locked in. What is unclear is how many rooms they have booked at $99. If it's one room (the Renaissance does have rooms for 6 people), then it's a great deal albeit cozy.

They have experience with Country Inns, which I'm seeing on Lastminutetravel.com for March 29, 2919, for $84 plus tax. This would put them near the mall with shopping, restaurants, and movies. In downtown Newark the Hilton is $126 plus tax and the Robert Treat is $108 plus tax and both hotels have an airport shuttle. The Robert Treat has free breakfast, free internet, and the shuttle will ride you the 6 blocks to Newark Penn Station. I have stayed at this hotel and would do so again. A Newark location would allow them to run into the World Trade Center on PATH if they haven't seen the 911 Memorial area or any of lower Manhattan. Options to spend money are the 911 Museum and the Freedom Tower. The Staten Island ferry ride is free.

From hotel website -

I have NEVER seen a Renaissance without a restaurant. Possibly a Courtyard, and Fairfields only have breakfast. But Marriott, Renaissance, etc, all have restaurants.

Carol corrected herself and I replied to this previously. Yes, we know that they have a restaurant, I was just there. If they're not going into Newark for anything, there's no reason to stay there.

I'm guessing they have more than 1 room. No way would 6 adults fit into 1 room, they're not that big.

Back to the OP...

"First time" with train? Is that first time on Amtrak, or first time taking Amtrak for a cruise?

If the former, which train, what time from DC, Union Station or New Carrollton? Etc. If you take Amtrak all the time, but not for a cruise, disregard.

• 2 weeks later...

Jersey City Waterfront hotel makes a lot of sense for Cape liberty departures.

Plenty of AirBnb (2 bedroom condo in modern high rise with great view and 5 minute to Manhattan) options at prices comparable to single hotel room. Plemty of nice restaurants (especially ethnic ones) Traffic free easy cheap cab ride or uber to the port.