CruiseNext certificate changes -> No more OBC!

fstuff1

The bottom line is exactly the same....pay $125 and get $250 towards a cruise.

It's all marketing....wanting you to think that you used to pay $500 and you got 2 certificates; now you pay $500 and get 4. NCL wins...they get you for 4 cruises (maybe 2 if you book a balcony) and we end up being committed to sailing on NCL.

It's no different than people who have to drink more drinks than they really want just to make sure they get their money's worth on the "free perk".

Marketing 101.....let the people think they are getting a great deal!

I really wish there was "a price". Transparency. These "fare games" are just too time consuming.

It's all marketing....wanting you to think that you used to pay $500 and you got 2 certificates; now you pay $500 and get 4. NCL wins...they get you for 4 cruises (maybe 2 if you book a balcony) and we end up being committed to sailing on NCL.

It's no different than people who have to drink more drinks than they really want just to make sure they get their money's worth on the "free perk".

I really wish there was "a price". Transparency. These "fare games" are just too time consuming.

But you did not "used to pay $500 and get 2".. You paid $250 after a $250 OBC and you got 2... Just like you paid $500 after a $500 OBC and got 4. It's still the same deal.

You purchase 4 for $1000 and get $500 OBC which makes your total $500. They may be telling you it's only $500 but it's because they're giving you the credit of $500.

But you did not "used to pay $500 and get 2".. You paid $250 after a $250 OBC and you got 2... Just like you paid $500 after a $500 OBC and got 4. It's still the same deal.

You purchase 4 for $1000 and get $500 OBC which makes your total $500. They may be telling you it's only $500 but it's because they're giving you the credit of $500.

I know this....and you are exactly correct.

But NCL wanted you "to think" you paid $500 for 2.....and gave you an OBC that you could spend on anything. And now....you get 4 for the same $500!

It's psychological. The new way is more transparent ( we all figured out the OBC wasn't really OBC) but makes you commit to 4 cruises.

I know this....and you are exactly correct.

But NCL wanted you "to think" you paid $500 for 2.....and gave you an OBC that you could spend on anything. And now....you get 4 for the same $500!

It's psychological. The new way is more transparent ( we all figured out the OBC wasn't really OBC) but makes you commit to 4 cruises.

It isn’t a new way... it’s still four for $1000 with $500 on board credit. They may tell you it’s only $500 to your face but they are still charging $1000 and putting $500 OBC on your shipboard account.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Come on people. Let us do the math. Taking a 7 day B2B now in Alaska. I am a stock holder and received 25 OBC for each week from travel agent. 100 OBC for my stock holder perk. Now take $500 cruise next purchase on ship. 500-250-100-100-25-25=ZERO actual money. $500 all free. I am on my third B2B on the Jewel this season. 6 weeks and have used $1500 of free money.

Now if you are gullable to think you have more money to spend on the cruise well then that is your problem. You spend your OBC your way and I will receive free money towards my next NCL cruise;p;p.

Why would they win if I was going to cruise anyway?

Think we get a good? That is what marketing is all about. It works both ways. Company creates more business and the comsumer saves some money. To me it is a win win. You just proven marketing 101 still works. That is why it is still used and teached. Where is the ploy to trick people? I just do not see it. Just take responsibility for the decisions you make and not blame someone else for your bad decisions. Now let's settle this silly nonsense.

Why would they win if I was going to cruise anyway?

Here's how they win:

You (not you personally...the general "you") want to take a cruise. RCL, Carnival and NCL all have similar sailings and similar prices. You have a certificate...face value of $250. So, which cruiseline do you choose. It's a way of tipping the scales....in their favor.....that people will come back to them.

I have a Carnival cruise booked for June 2019....only because I got a $370 credit due to my June 2018 ship missing a port. If I didn't have that credit there's no way I would have booked so far in advance (it was the only cruise that interested me). Again....marketing. They gave me a credit....knowing it would entice me to come back.

Here's how they win:

You (not you personally...the general "you") want to take a cruise. RCL, Carnival and NCL all have similar sailings and similar prices. You have a certificate...face value of $250. So, which cruiseline do you choose. It's a way of tipping the scales....in their favor.....that people will come back to them.

I have a Carnival cruise booked for June 2019....only because I got a $370 credit due to my June 2018 ship missing a port. If I didn't have that credit there's no way I would have booked so far in advance (it was the only cruise that interested me). Again....marketing. They gave me a credit....knowing it would entice me to come back.

Well, the already "won" me as a loyal customer. I have almost no interest in sailing another cruise line. I have had great experiences on NCL and there are still plenty of ships and itineraries for me to check out. Since there is ZERO doubt in my mind that I will be sailing NCL many more times in the next four years, it's a no-brainer.

Well, the already "won" me as a loyal customer. I have almost no interest in sailing another cruise line. I have had great experiences on NCL and there are still plenty of ships and itineraries for me to check out. Since there is ZERO doubt in my mind that I will be sailing NCL many more times in the next four years, it's a no-brainer.

I thought the same way...especially after my last several ncl cruises which were wonderful...until...I went to book April 2019 and saw how much ncl raised their prices...and how bad the itins were..

So I'll keep my last cert on my ncl account and perhaps I'll use it before oct 2020...if not I have family to offer it to etc....or...I'll just let it expire

Booked rccl btw...longer cruise better itin and they serve real escargot I hear not the chopped up with mushroom kind lime ncl does. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
They have “offered” the second option for a while.

It is a gimmick to get you to buy more certs.

They made the same offer on the Getaway a couple of weeks ago. We just take the first option and add a couple when we need them

the cruisenext sales person on embarkation told me the $250 obc is no longer available.

and now it's $500 for 4 certs instead of '2 certs and $250 obc'.

but the day before the cruise ended, the $250 obc is available again!

W T F ?!?!?! :mad:

do these cruisenext pushers get a commission for selling the 4 certs package?

thus why they are lying to us customers on the 1st day of the cruise?

the cruisenext sales person on embarkation told me the $250 obc is no longer available.

and now it's $500 for 4 certs instead of '2 certs and $250 obc'.

but the day before the cruise ended, the $250 obc is available again!

W T F ?!?!?! :mad:

do these cruisenext pushers get a commission for selling the 4 certs package?

thus why they are lying to us customers on the 1st day of the cruise?

Forget the verbal sales pitch and go with what the flyer tells you. Seems pointless for them to mislead when you have 30 days to rescind your purchase.

If your reading this thread in order, what Im alerting fellow members about is that NCL made a special offer on the 2016 Breakaway sailing to Bermuda, that no matter how many you bought you would always be able to use 2 at a time. As a result I and many others bought more than usual. I love NCL and every sailing (22) i have taken. I am disappointed that they can "change the conditions after the sale" because they can. My post was to alert others that when on a cruise and they offer a "special" offer above the norm.... be aware they can and will change their obligation a year later and then play dumb.

I had the same thing happen. We sailed a short Sky getaway in 2016 and bought nextcruise cents - we were told we could use 2 carts per cabin, so we bought 4. When I booked our 2018 cruise, they denied that was an option and would only let me use 1 cert unless I booked a balcony. So I have 3 cents to use in the next 12 months... gonna be tough as NCL doesn’t always go where we want to go...

If I ever buy nextcruise cents in future, I’ll.ask to have offer details in writing.... which is basic consumerism 101.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t forget that they are transferable- I’m using 6 on my next cruise - 3 balconies - just transferred 4 to friends

Yep! I transferred two to my parents so they could join us on the Escape next month!

Also, because they are transferable, you can always sell them if your 4 year deadline is approaching and you don't think you will use them in time.

Yep! I transferred two to my parents so they could join us on the Escape next month!

Also, because they are transferable, you can always sell them if your 4 year deadline is approaching and you don't think you will use them in time.

Good idea ... but.... I *DO* like a vacation ..... land or sea [emoji177]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk