Bear with me -New to NCL

MicSail

Going to Alaska 2020 . Never used NCL and find the web site hard to find answers to my questions. Will give it a go here .Have cruised the one with mouse ears and the one that reminds me of carnies. So have some experience but only in warmer weather. We are a party of 7 cabins. Ranging from age 27-65. No kids. Have aft cabins across the back of the Joy. It will be refurbished so hope to enjoy. I am leery of relinquishing my luggage . Call it a phobia what ever. I like to unpack early then go explore and eat before muster. What can you "carry on" We usually have 3 suitcase between the 2 of us. Usually 1 with our clothes each then the extra for snorkel and bigger extras. This time the extra suitcase will be used for heavier coats and boots. Is it ok to carry these on? I know some will complain about carry them on like I said call it a phobia .Also I can carry on wine . Let me get this straight . The corkage fee is if I take it out of my room right? If I consume in room I do not have to pay this ,right? This is all for now but you will surely hear from me as our cruise is 712 days away. I am looking on the bright side last one was 757 days out . Lots of time to plan.........THANKS

As long as you can handle your luggage and it fits through the scanner, you can carry as much as you would like. I've always checked my luggage at the pier and have never had any issues.

No, the $15 corkage fee is when you bring wine on the ship.

BTW, welcome to Cruise Critic.

The bags have to fit in a standard airport x-ray machine for hand carry luggage. You will have to pull your bags through the snaking security and check in line.,,, then up the gangway. The ship with be crowded with people getting to know their new home, and pulling three bags around with you will be difficult. I would just leave your bag as at the bag check tent on the curb. They will make their way to your room before muster.

You pay corkage for all wine brought onboard regardless of where it is consumed. All wine will cost $15 per standard bottle and must be hand carried.

No other beverages may be brought onboard.

I have never checked a bag, if I did I would tip the porter, save yourself a few bucks bring your bags with you. Cruising on the cheap

We only checked the first time we cruised. Hated waiting on luggage. Want to unpack then I am ready to relax and have fun. Do not like having to check back to see if luggage came. Might just check my suitcase with coats and boots.Then I can still unpack my every day clothes and toiletries . The every day suitcases are smaller. Sounds like a plan.

Your cabin won’t be ready until around 1:30 or so, and luggage needs to be a certain size to carry on (like planes, not sure of the size). The corkage fee is a service charge, you will be charged before boarding the ship.

And there is nowhere to store your luggage before your room is ready.l. So be prepared to lug it around everywhere with you.

We had one cruise where rooms were not released until around 2:30-2:45. So depending when you board, you could be carrying it for several hours. You have to think... is that really worth it to unpack early?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are free to carry your luggage on as long as it fits through the scanner, as noted the corkage fee for each bottle is charged at boarding they will inspect your luggage prior to boarding. You might also consider the fact that your room will probably not be ready so you will have to schlep your bags around with you when you go to get something to eat or drink, not to mention getting on an elevator while the rest of the people on the cruise are trying to get to wherever they want to get to. Recommend you check your luggage minus a carry on and avoid the hassle