What to do in Montevideo, Uruguay for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

If you get on the HOHO bus at the port, you can pay in foreign money or use a credit card. Other stops take a credit card.

The Carnival Museum takes credit cards.

I am sure most tourist companies are used to being paid in US dollars.

There is an Abitab near the Carnival Museum where you can change different currencies including Argentina pesos and Brazil reals if needed.

https://www.abitab.com.uy/innovaportal/v/381/11/abitab/agencia-19_30

If you get on the HOHO bus at the port, you can pay in foreign money or use a credit card. Other stops take a credit card.

The Carnival Museum takes credit cards.

I am sure most tourist companies are used to being paid in US dollars.

There is an Abitab near the Carnival Museum where you can change different currencies including Argentina pesos and Brazil reals if needed.

https://www.abitab.com.uy/innovaportal/v/381/11/abitab/agencia-19_30

That's great, thanks for the info. Regards Sheryl

We have never been to Montevideo, Uruguay before.

I was wondering would you recommend doing here for the day??

If you have been to Montevideo, what did you do there for the day??

Does the cruise ships dock near the city? or do we dock a long way from it?

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

PS: I read somewhere there on cruise critic is / was a Hop on / hop off bus??, has anyone been on it?? and does anyone know the price?

As an option, I'd highly recommend getting out in the countryside for the day. We went to Estancia La Rabida and really enjoyed it. Besides experiencing a working, family-owned ranch, the grilled lunch they put out was simply amazing. It was a long, leisurely affair with delicious appetizers, huge offerings of various meats, salads, dessert, and Uruguayan wines. They turn the barns into 'restaurants' wth everyone sitting on straw bales, and then later in the day we were entertained by gauchos, dancers, and singers and some rather interesting 'hands-on' activities. South America is definitely one of the most memorable places we've been to.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Jwastchak said:

Has anyone ever rented a car and driven to Punta del Este for the day?

Great question, and I'm eager to hear as well! Our South America cruise is coming up in January, and we've booked a rental car for our day in Punta del Este (we're stopping on both Montevideo and Punta del Este). I'm eager to hear others' experiences driving around Punta del Este, and how they liked it.

Went to Montevideo quite a few years ago. We just had a walk around. It’s a beautiful city. One thing that really impressed us was the tomb of General Artigas which is below a statue of him in Independence Square. It has soldiers permanently on guard there. https://www.welcomeuruguay.com/montevideo/mausoleum-general-artigas.html

On 10/30/2018 at 1:18 PM, Leejnd4 said:

Great question, and I'm eager to hear as well! Our South America cruise is coming up in January, and we've booked a rental car for our day in Punta del Este (we're stopping on both Montevideo and Punta del Este). I'm eager to hear others' experiences driving around Punta del Este, and how they liked it.

A few points to remember here.  No right turn on a red ligh permittedt, no drinking and driving. 0% alcohol if stopped and breathlyzed. Car minders are common. If you park on the street, you may see someone hanging about. They watch parked cars and expect a small tip when you return. 10 pesos is fine.

Traffic can be heavy going from Montevideo towards Punta del Este on Fridays and the opposite direction Sundays especially in January.

16 hours ago, Lunenburg said:

A few points to remember here.  No right turn on a red ligh permittedt, no drinking and driving. 0% alcohol if stopped and breathlyzed. Car minders are common. If you park on the street, you may see someone hanging about. They watch parked cars and expect a small tip when you return. 10 pesos is fine.

Traffic can be heavy going from Montevideo towards Punta del Este on Fridays and the opposite direction Sundays especially in January.

Thanks for this info! I had read they have zero tolerance for alcohol, so I'm not planning on having any while we're out driving around that day. I had NOT read about the "car minders" and expected tip. I'll be sure to have some pesos on me for that.

Our cruise actually is stopping in Punta del Este itself, so I'm picking up the car right there in town. We'll be stopping on Montevideo as well, but I've booked a private tour on that day - one mentioned further up in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Lee, I booked 3 tours with Tourguide.......,They were very reasonably priced and sound just right. I booked the Ushuaia tour to the park, the Montevideo to the winery and city tour, and the Punta del Este city tour. I am still looking for a tour in Punta Arenas but I really  want to see the Penguins but the reviews are not great when it comes to transportation. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Andrea

16 hours ago, nancyshaw said:

Lee or Andrek...could you please email me the contact for the tour company in Montevideo ...

nancyshaw027@gmail.com

thank you so much...

Hi, sorry for my slow response - I live in Thousand Oaks and we've been dealing with the massive wildfire here. Our street never did get evacuated, but we are only a 1/2 mile from a mandatory evacuation zone. We basically had our entire lives packed up in our cars for a week, ready to bolt if we were ordered to! We spent this weekend finally putting our house back together, just in time for Thanksgiving.

Here's the link to the tour guide in Montevideo. The one we're doing is all the way at the bottom scroll down and look for Montevideo City Tour + Home Made BBQ:

https://www.tourguideushuaia.net/montevideo-tour-guide/

I'll email this to you as well.

LeeAnne

Hi Lee, Edgar contacted me to see who the coordinator was for our cruise. I just contacted them on my own so I do not know who and if there is a coordinator for the Jan 6, 2019 Eclipse South America cruise. I would love to use him as his prices are great. I was planning on doing the winery tour in Montevideo. If you can help me let me know. How did you book yours? Were you part of a group?

I am glad you are ok. We used to live in Agoura Hill and my friends were evacuated. I hear it was awful.

Andrea

We will try: http://freewalkingtour.com.uy/english/index.html  Tours are at 11am & 2.30pm from Mondays to Fridays and at 2pm Sat.& Sun.  The meeting point is at the Independence square right by the statue of Artigas.
Tour lasts about 2 hours.  You do not need to book ahead, just show up. Remember that we are the RED GUIDES!

https://www.freetour.com/montevideo?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=_Montevideo - Free Tours&utm_term=free walking tour montevideo&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9YCH2ofm3gIVDUTTCh0kHAIjEAAYASAAEgLBSPD_BwE   But they offer not every day....

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is coming to Uruguay in the next week or so, be sure to check for red flags with green crosses on the beaches before going in the water. We have had a bacterial contamination for several weeks now due to the high temperatures - it was 34C  yesterday - and no one should be in the water. They also recommend children not play in the sand near the water.

The warnings have been along the coast as far as La Paloma and includes Punta del Este.

Edited by Lunenburg
  • Thanks 1