Taking Drone on Cruise

glennmartin

From the T&C's

What can't I bring onboard?

Passengers should not bring the following items onboard any Norwegian Cruise Line ship:

Drones (Game Flying Device)

Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the welfare of the vessel.

Hello All

I am a keen drone user in the UK and am due to be on the Breakaway from NYC in feb 2018

I was wanting to take my drone with me so i can get some good videos of the scenery

does anyone know if they can be taken onboard the ship ?

What date? What drone?

I'll be bringing mine on our next cruise. Plenty of people bring them, then just don't want you flying them or even taking them out when on the ship. I know two people who brought them on this past summer, one on the BA the other on the Gem. Worse comes to worse security will keep it and give it to you when you exit at a ship, upon returning to the ship you give it back to them. This was not a problem at all

Agree with Laszlo: There's the official written policy, and then there's the reality… Plenty of people have taken drones on their NCL cruises and successfully used them while on shore, but no one can give you a 100% guarantee that you will be allowed to when the time comes around.

I point blank asked security on the Escape while I port and I was told you can but security will keep it and when you leave at each port you can ask for it then turn it back in when you return

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Follow the written rules, versus some assertion by a crew member who is not authorized to change the corporate rules. Don’t bring a drone.

Agree. I'd be concerned laws in other countries....
Drones are everywhere. Just doing a little searching and you can find people from those countries and links to their laws related to drones. It is a pretty large hobby around the world. Some drones will even warn you of restricted area or down right not take off in those areas. Beyond that stay away from flying over people, vehicles and buildings and a little research and you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I brought mine on the escape back in august. They didnt know when i first board the cruise, and i took it along on my first excursion. But when i returned the security checked and held my mavic until when i would disembarkvat 2nd excursion. The whole procedure was smooth and pleasant, just make sure you have a good carrying case and tell them to take good care of it.

Thank God this is a banned item! What a PITA and invasion of privacy to have someone flying one of those things over you during your cruise.

While I️ agree and think the OP should not bring a drone, I️ don’t think they are talking about flying I️t while in the ship. They are talking about flying I️t while in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious because I really don't know but do any of the Caribbean countries have rules against the use of drones?

Most have the same rules as the US. I'm not going to explain then but their are posted rules for us that fly. If your flying a DJI product all of the "No Fly" zones are already built into the software

Hello All

I am a keen drone user in the UK and am due to be on the Breakaway from NYC in feb 2018

I was wanting to take my drone with me so i can get some good videos of the scenery

does anyone know if they can be taken onboard the ship ?

We were on a sailing a couple years ago out of Miami in an aft cabin and watched a drone from the ship make a crash landing into the channel.

Thank God this is a banned item! What a PITA and invasion of privacy to have someone flying one of those things over you during your cruise.

you have not right to privacy when in public and you have the right to video or take picures in public of anyone as well

you have not right to privacy when in public and you have the right to video or take picures in public of anyone as well

Looks like their will be at least two of us on our cruise with drones, what are you bringing?

Actually neither of those is a right.

United States[edit]

Local, state, and national laws govern still and motion photography. Laws vary between jurisdictions, and what is not illegal in one place may be illegal in another. Typical laws in the United States are as follows:

Public property[edit]

220px-Museum_photography.jpg

Private property[edit]

Privacy issues[edit]

Further information: Privacy laws of the United States

Commercial photography[edit]

If someone buzzes me with a drone, I'll ask them to stop. Do it a second time, and they'd better hope it's not within arm's reach. If so, I'll grab it and starting breaking pieces off and/or toss it in the pool and/or rub the helicopter parts in the sand (if we're on a beach).

United States[edit]

Local, state, and national laws govern still and motion photography. Laws vary between jurisdictions, and what is not illegal in one place may be illegal in another. Typical laws in the United States are as follows:

Public property[edit]

220px-Museum_photography.jpg

Some museums do not allow photography.

• It is legal to photograph or videotape anything and anyone on any public property, within reasonable community standards.[39]
  • Photographing or videotaping a tourist attraction, whether publicly or privately owned, is generally considered legal, unless explicitly prohibited by a specific law or statute.

Private property[edit]

• Photography may be prohibited or restricted by a property owner on their property.[39] However, a property owner generally cannot restrict the photographing of the property by individuals who are not within the bounds of the property.[39]
  • Photography on private property that is generally open to the public (e.g., a shopping mall) is usually permitted unless explicitly prohibited by posted signs. Even if no such signs are posted, the property owner or agent can ask a person to stop photographing, and if the person refuses to do so, the owner or agent can ask the person to leave; in some jurisdictions, a person who refuses to leave can be arrested for criminal trespass, and many jurisdictions recognize the common-law right to use reasonable force to remove a trespasser; a person who forcibly resists a lawful removal may be liable for battery, assault, or both.[40]
  • Entry onto private property not normally open to the public usually requires permission from the property owner.
  • Some jurisdictions have laws regarding filming while in a hospital or health care facility. Where permitted, such filming may be useful in gathering evidence in cases of abuse, neglect, or malpractice.

Privacy issues[edit]

Further information: Privacy laws of the United States

• Photographing private property from within the public domain is not illegal, with the exception of an area that is generally regarded as private, such as a bedroom, bathroom, or hotel room.[39] In some states there is no definition of "private," in which case, there is a general expectation of privacy.[citation needed] Should the subjects not attempt to conceal their private affairs, their actions immediately become public to a photographer using normal photographic equipment.[citation needed]
  • Many places have laws prohibiting photographing private areas under a person's clothing without that person's permission. This also applies to any filming of another within a public restroom or locker room. Some jurisdictions have banned the use of a telephone with camera functionality within a restroom or locker room in order to prevent this. The United States enacted the Video Voyeurism Prevention Act of 2004 to punish those who intentionally capture an individual's private areas without consent, when the person knew the subject had an expectation of privacy.[41] State laws have also been passed addressing this issue.[42]

Commercial photography[edit]

• In certain locations, such as California State Parks, commercial photography requires a permit and sometimes proof of insurance.[43][44] In places such as the city of Hermosa Beach in California, commercial photography on both public property and private property is subject to permit regulations and possibly also insurance requirements.[45]
  • At the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, commercial photography requires a permit under certain circumstances.[46] For photography that involves the advertising of a commercial product or service, or photography that involves sets or props or models, a permit is required.[46] In addition, if the photography has aspects that may be disruptive to others, such as additional equipment or a significant number of personnel or the use of public areas for more than four hours, it is necessary to obtain a permit.[46] If a photographer or related personnel need to access an area during a time when the area is normally closed, or if access to a restricted area is involved, the photography requires a permit.[46] For commercial portrait photographers, there is a streamlined process for photography permits.[46] In the case of National Park system units, commercial filming and/or audio recording requires a permit and liability insurance.[47] Still photography that uses models or props for the purpose of commercial advertising requires a permit and proof of insurance.[47][48]
  • If a photograph shows private property in such a manner that a viewer of the photograph can identify the owner of the property, the ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers, Inc.) recommends that a property release should be used if the photograph is to be used for advertising and/or commercial purposes.[49] According to the ASMP, a property release may be a requirement in such a situation.[49]

I thought the point was that you will be outside the USA when using the drone in most ports.

If someone buzzes me with a drone, I'll ask them to stop. Do it a second time, and they'd better hope it's not within arm's reach. If so, I'll grab it and starting breaking pieces off and/or toss it in the pool and/or rub the helicopter parts in the sand (if we're on a beach).

That's ridiculous. Nobody is going to fly within an arms reach of you, at that point it's not a matter of being annoyed, they're obviously a very irresponsible flyer and is dangerous to the public. It's also not a good idea to grab other people's property, and an even worse one to try to get at something that can do serious damage to your hand.