What broadway play?

George C

we Will be in nyc in 4 weeks, have tickets for wicked, Hamilton and Springsteen are not in our price range, have seen beautiful a couple of times, also have seen Bronx tale, kinky boots, waitress, Book of Mormon, jersey boys,. What else is good?

we Will be in nyc in 4 weeks, have tickets for wicked, Hamilton and Springsteen are not in our price range, have seen beautiful a couple of times, also have seen Bronx tale, kinky boots, waitress, Book of Mormon, jersey boys,. What else is good?

• Come From Away is an inspiring tale set in a remote town in Newfoundland immediately after 9/11 forced jet planes to land "in the middle of nowhere" Deservedly, it's a big crowd pleaser.
  • Dear Evan Hansen is still packing 'em in. It won last year's Tony for best musical. (No discounts, though). If you're unfamiliar with it, it's a story about a teenager having trouble connecting and the effect of social media with a score by the La La Land composers.
  • If you can possibly swing tickets for Hello Dolly - it's a glorious revival with Bernadette Peters.
  • Mean Girls has a smart book by Tina Fey and unmemorable songs by her husband. Hits all the buttons of the movie in a smart, slick, production.
  • Once on This Island is a revival that has been getting raves since it opened last fall and still hasn't sold out. If it gets nominations on Tuesday, it should be around at least until the Tonys on June 10. Why I say this is - there are discounts and good seats available in an intimate venue.
  • If you loved Jersey Boys, you'll like A Bronx Tale which has been getting lots of crowds from across the river.
  • Spongebob Squarepants is a silly romp that actually works in its own bizarre way in a transformed Palace Theater with a score consisting of individual songs written by different rock artists like David Bowie.
  • At all costs, avoid Rocktopia, Escape to Margaritaville, and Summer.

FYI, Tony nominations will be announced on Tuesday, May 1.

...and to Janine, Kinky Boots is a fun show with lots of peppy songs, inventive staging and dance, and a nice message.

- Mark

• Like 1

Have you seen Beautiful? Not only songs sung by Carol King but Motown artists too. It’s a great show.

I’m seeing Margaritaville next month, not everyone thinks you should avoid it at all costs. I wouldn’t pay full price but TKTS price. I got mine thru TDF.org. Rocktopia is not for everyone but if you enjoy that type of music it’s good.

I actually liked Come From Away over Evan Hansen. If it wasn’t for Hamilton, Come From Away could have won, jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m seeing Margaritaville next month, not everyone thinks you should avoid it at all costs. I wouldn’t pay full price but TKTS price. I got mine thru TDF.org. Rocktopia is not for everyone but if you enjoy that type of music it’s good.

I actually liked Come From Away over Evan Hansen. If it wasn’t for Hamilton, Come From Away could have won, jmo.

If you enjoy reading hilariously written bad reviews, I recommend googling Rocktopia.

Although it sounds like I don't like jukebox musicals. I've enjoyed many of them including Jersey Boys and Beautiful. (There's a show in pre-Broadway previews in SF that retells an Elizabethan story of a Greek myth, using Go Go's music. I loved it. It's a bit messy in the mix-up right now, but on the right track and fun.) I DO hate bad jukebox musicals. It's just that with limited slots available, there are usually so many better shows to not spend your precious time and money on a stinker. As for Margaritaville, I can guarantee that NCL will extend their relationship with J.B. and Margaritaville Inc and will be featuring the show on their larger ships within 2 years (again, an issue with prioritizing limited opportunities in NY.)

And, for what it's worth, I also enjoyed Come From Away more than Dear Evan Hansen. Although I consider DEH a better musical, Come From Away resonated to me more emotionally; if I was under 35, the opposite may have been true. That said, I think the voters made the right choice (Hamilton was the previous year). Both are great shows that you should enjoy.

And Phantom. Personally, not a fave and not a new show. However, they've kept it fresh through all the years and it's still a crowd pleaser. Also - there was a new staging that was introduced to other productions a few years ago that is much cheaper to produce and is considered, by fans of the musical, to be inferior to the original Hal Prince staging that is still in NY. (I think it, and probably London, are the only productions with it). So, if you're a fan, there IS a good reason to see it in NY.

- Mark

I saw The Bands Visit last week .I would suggest it .

I saw The Bands Visit last week .I would suggest it .

Likely this year's Tony winner for Best Musical (certainly for score, and likely for lead actor and actress)

This is a quieter show than the others mentioned. You may want to view the movie beforehand. The story of an Egyptian police band who is mistakenly sent to a flyspeck of a city in the middle of nowhere in Israel. I'm looking forward to seeing it in September. Some friends have praised the depth, subtlety and beauty of it and others have complained that "nothing happens."

The cast recording is beautiful!

- Mark

Have you seen Beautiful? Not only songs sung by Carol King but Motown artists too. It’s a great show.

We have seen beautiful twice and could see that again. We normally get our tickets from tkts, always love returning to nyc where I was born and grew up.

One more, George C, - If you're originally from NY, then you probably already know about the other TKTS locations that have much shorter lines. You may not be aware that there is a newish branch in Lincoln Center (also good for next-day matinee tix).

- Mark

Likely this year's Tony winner for Best Musical (certainly for score, and likely for lead actor and actress)

This is a quieter show than the others mentioned. You may want to view the movie beforehand. The story of an Egyptian police band who is mistakenly sent to a flyspeck of a city in the middle of nowhere in Israel. I'm looking forward to seeing it in September. Some friends have praised the depth, subtlety and beauty of it and others have complained that "nothing happens."

The cast recording is beautiful!

- Mark

I saw the movie several years ago and that was great too.

We saw "Kinky Boots" a couple of years ago without knowing anything about it. It had just opened. It was great. The energy level was fantastic. By show's end, the entire audience of middle-aged adults was standing and clapping in time to the music.

One more, George C, - If you're originally from NY, then you probably already know about the other TKTS locations that have much shorter lines. You may not be aware that there is a newish branch in Lincoln Center (also good for next-day matinee tix).

- Mark

We did that tkts location last year it is great, took a fast taxi ride from my hotel on 51st and 7th, much nicer than waiting in long lines in Times Square, remember old location in World Trade Center went there a couple of months before 9/11.

We saw Carousel last week, it was good, and the dance sequences were very good. Its an old story had some teary moments.

Would like to see that , know the story , great songs, but really dislike the theater , I am 6’4” and saw South Pacfc there , had to leave at intermission since seats were so uncomfortable, I have a list of theaters that I will not go t again.

We have seen beautiful twice and could see that again. We normally get our tickets from tkts, always love returning to nyc where I was born and grew up.

If you’re a native NYer you will really appreciate Come From Away. I can’t even explain what a healing experience it was for me. I try to explain to my friends that it is not a depressing show, even I did shed tears at one point. It’s just a special show. There is no intermission. It’s a musical, but not a show tune musical.

Here are the current crop of new Musicals on Broadway:

- A Band's Visit - Front runner for best new musical and has been getting best critic reviews for both the off-broadway and broadway run. Beautiful and touching. It's a lot quieter and slower paced than any other musical on Broadway right now.

- Carousel - Old school musical revival. The music and choreography are fantastic. Some critics have had a problem with the subject matter in the #MeToo era. Read the synopsis of the musical and see if it's a deal breaker because nothing has been changed.

- My Fair Lady - Another old school musical revival. I haven't seen this one yet but have tickets later this summer. It's the favorite to win best musical revival and has been getting good reviews. However, some critics (the opposite ones to Carousel) have taken issue that the director has changed the musical (although no dialogue has been changed).

- Spongebob, Mean Girls, Frozen - The other odds on favorite to be nominated for best new musical. All have gotten positive reviews however I haven't seen any of them.

- Once on this Island - Haven't seen it but it's an under the radar well received revival.

- Summer, Rocktopia, Margaritaville - Dismally reviewed musicals. I haven't heard anyone coming out of these shows with that much positive to say. I have not been to any.

From last season:

- Dear Evan Hansen - Tony winner. 3rd most expensive ticket right now (behind Hamilton and Springstein). Best show if you have middle-highschooler

- Come From Away - Great show. Go see if you want to just feel good. It's not deep but you should leave feeling happy.

- Hello Dolly! - Haven't seen it but it does have Bernadette Peters...

- A Bronx Tale and Anastasia - Haven't seen either but both are holding on. A Bronx Tale is Jersey Boys-ish while I hear that Anastasia is a good recreation of the movie.

If you are interested in plays:

- The Iceman Cometh - Great reviews and you get to watch Denzel Washington for 3.5 hours...

- Lobby Hero - Great cast and see Chris Evans in a whole new light

- Harry Potter - Good luck getting tickets...

- Angels in America - A fantastic revival but it's 7 hours for both parts...

- The Play That Goes Wrong - A play from last year. If you like slapstick comedies and just want to laugh and laugh and laugh...

we really liked Bronx tale since it was about growing up in NYC at the time I grew up, written by actor Chazz Palminteri, was able to talk to the cast after the show and they said Chazz still shows up almost every week and sometimes makes small changes to the show, and this was directed by Robert DeNiro, this was also movie starring DeNiro

I've been going to the theatre for a very long time, and Come From Away is one of the best shows I have ever seen.

I am also a big fan of Phantom of the Opera.

I think it would probably be fun to see Bernadette Peters in Dolly, but I haven't seen it so can't say for sure.

Enjoy your trip!

re Harry Potter tickets...

If you're keeping things open until the last minute and you're interested in the play(s), keep checking. They have been releasing small blocks of tickets and also reposting returns (yes, there are some) For other shows, I'm usually able to get online within a minute or two after ticket availability begins and can usually get tix for what we want to see, but this one was different. Registering, waiting for the big releases and then being randomized before being chosen (which I repeatedly was not).

Finally, last week they released some more seats and we got a couple of great ones for September at a reasonable price. (Not cheap, but not Hamilton - $199)

So persistent checking can pay off.

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

I've been going to the theatre for a very long time, and Come From Away is one of the best shows I have ever seen.

FYI Turtles06 - On our crossing a year ago, we shared a table one breakfast with another couple (coincidentally, neither of us usually asks for a shared table) - and it turned out that they were among the "plane people." They lived in a small town in England and after a few days in NY, were going to visit friends they'd made in Newfoundland during the ordeal. Being unfamiliar with Broadway and ticketing, they only hit a brick wall at Telecharge. We had seen the show before leaving on the eastbound leg of the round-trip crossing, so we had the Playbills in our cabin. I told them that I had absolutely no connections or anything, BUT was active on a couple of Broadway chat boards that are known to be frequented by some industry insiders. And, knowing that producers control house seats, a bit of Googling should get an email for their request to the producer's office.

Around 9:30 that Sunday morning, we excused ourselves from the table. Shortly thereafter I posted a plea to the chat boards. We saw a lecture and before lunch, headed down to Connexions so I could print out any Google results of contact info from the Playbill and check to see if my posts hand gotten any useful repies. A friend of the producers (Irene & David) had already promised to pass the post on to them and promised to PM me with the info and contacts.

By 12:30 PM - within three hours on a morning of a holiday weekend, I got an email promising them house seats with an email address for them to send ticket and credit card info. (House seats are usually sold at regular, non-premium, prices). In the middle of the Atlantic on the beautiful QM2. Later, I they sent pictures from backstage where they met the cast and were treated like celebrities.

A whole lot of heart all around that show.

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2