Best Penguin Excursion?

TeresaDom

Hi,

We are booked on the Jan. 19 Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise. In looking at excursions we are wondering which penguin one to choose.

We were wondering if the excursion provided by NCL in Ushuaia, Argentina actually gives you the opportunity to get off the boat. Does the boat only cruise around? Do all pictures have to be taken from the boat?

We really want the chance to walk around.

Any help is appreciated.

We have been on two SA cruises and seen lots of penguins. In my opinion, the best spot is in the Falkland Islands at Volunteer point to see King Penguins; but I doubt your cruise goes there. We have been to Puerto Madryn twice and Punta Tombo was the best from that port. On our most recent stop at Punta Arenas, I just loved our visit to Magdalena Island. It was the most penguins we have seen on any of our excursions, plus you are walking with them on the paths. You can see lots of photos of our visits on our cruise review website that is linked to in my signature.

Make sure you book more than one penguin excursion, since some ports can be skipped and sometimes the excursions can't get to where the penguins are. As far as Ushuaia goes, I don't recall reading about anyone getting off a boat there to walk in the penguin grounds.

We have been on two SA cruises and seen lots of penguins. In my opinion, the best spot is in the Falkland Islands at Volunteer point to see King Penguins; but I doubt your cruise goes there. We have been to Puerto Madryn twice and Punta Tombo was the best from that port. On our most recent stop at Punta Arenas, I just loved our visit to Magdalena Island. It was the most penguins we have seen on any of our excursions, plus you are walking with them on the paths. You can see lots of photos of our visits on our cruise review website that is linked to in my signature.

Make sure you book more than one penguin excursion, since some ports can be skipped and sometimes the excursions can't get to where the penguins are. As far as Ushuaia goes, I don't recall reading about anyone getting off a boat there to walk in the penguin grounds.

Thanks for your reply. We are going to the Falklands but have read that Stanley may be skipped if the wind is up and the ship can't get in. The King penguins are what interest us but it is a short excursion for a high cost. It doesn't appear to have the value that the others have. Punta Arenas may end up being our choice.

Thanks for your reply. We are going to the Falklands but have read that Stanley may be skipped if the wind is up and the ship can't get in. The King penguins are what interest us but it is a short excursion for a high cost. It doesn't appear to have the value that the others have. Punta Arenas may end up being our choice.

If you do a private excursion in the Falklands, the cost is about $160pp; and worth every penny if you can get there. Good luck on your choices.

Sign up for both (Falkland Islands and Punta Arenas) just in case you don't get to the Falkland Islands. The penguins are totally different, the terrain is totally different (Magdalena Island is just that and requires a boat ride; Volunteer Point requires a caravan ride overland), and it is all amazing especially if you arrive when babies have just been born. We were at both places the last week in December 2016 and while the weather was windy it wasn't unduly cold and we had a great time at both. If you are looking for a private excursion, we used Patrick Watts for an outstanding excursion in the Falklands (and also heard very good things about Estancia) and Solo Expediciones in Punta Arenas -- they were the only game in town at least on Christmas Day!

Absolutely Volunteer Point is the winner. Next is probably Punta Tombo. Magdalena Island can get canceled as well. I have been to all these areas.

I think you are correct on your ratings. We visited Punta Tombo in March, when most of the penguins were gone; but it was still a most enjoyable visit. Since we visited Magdalena Island in January, there were so many more penguins there. Timing is important if you want to see lots of penguins.

I seem to have seen a lot of posts suggesting that the penguins have left Punta Arenas / Magdalena.

In January Magdalena Island was just awesome, even in the rain. Our guide told us there were 60,000 pair of penguins plus chicks on the island. Here is a pic of part of the island.

Ant_MikeiPh-3905.jpg

I believe you are thinking of Otway Sound where the penguins have left and it isn't open to visitors anymore. The first time we were in Punta Arenas, we went to Otway and with it being in March, there weren't many penguins and it was a long ride. I passed on Magdalena Island that time due to the boat ride and potential for missing it due to cancellations. The boat ride was fine and we also got to see lots of huge seals on Marta Island. Try to do a Magdalena/Marta Island excursion if possible.

Ant_MikeB-0911.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ushuaia is one of the most memorable places I've ever been to. I'm sure you'll find it fascinating. Scenery is fantastic. Be sure to stop in at the post office (gets really crowded though), and also apply for your certificate for visiting the southernmost city in the world! While there, we did a trip with Canoero Catamarans in the Beagle Channel and saw lots of South American cormorants. Tierra Del Fuego National Park is a great visit also. Ushuaia is very walkable and makes for an enjoyable time. That whole area down there is just an amazing part of the world. Enjoy!!!!

Hi,

We are booked on the Jan. 19 Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise. In looking at excursions we are wondering which penguin one to choose.

We were wondering if the excursion provided by NCL in Ushuaia, Argentina actually gives you the opportunity to get off the boat. Does the boat only cruise around? Do all pictures have to be taken from the boat?

We really want the chance to walk around.

Any help is appreciated.

I was in the Falkland Islands this past February. I believe all the ships were able to dock but it is good to have a back up plan. Here is my blog post on Patrick Watt's tour. I believe on some sailings for next year he has already filled up. I would ask to be placed on a waiting list.

Here's the link to our adventure that day: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2018/08/

I had heard the same thing about Pira...back when my roll call thread was running people were talking about having contacted PIra but not getting a reply. Those gentoos at Port Stanley were just adorable! So curious too...they nearly come right up to you. Our onboard lecturer said that the one time a gentoo came up and undid his shoe laces (true story or not?!?)

I had heard the same thing about Pira...back when my roll call thread was running people were talking about having contacted PIra but not getting a reply. Those gentoos at Port Stanley were just adorable! So curious too...they nearly come right up to you. Our onboard lecturer said that the one time a gentoo came up and undid his shoe laces (true story or not?!?)

I am sure it is true. I had a Magallenic penguin pulling at my jeans when we visited Marta Island. The guide told me he was probably trying to get material for his nest. A shoe lace would make a great nest.

Ant_MikeiPh-3920.jpg

We also liked Punta Tombo in Puerta Madryn . If you are lucky you may see some chicks , Guanaco or rodents .

21900c3b-f904-44d1-9407-d04391f052df_zpsq86wxl9a.jpg

IMG_9993-002_zpsf8f0a752.jpg

IMG_9949-002_zps914bf85f.jpg

This Guanaco looks like it's kissing a penguin

IMG_9837-001_zps98b33797.jpg

We didn't go to Magdalena Island in Punta Arenas but went to Torres del Paine instead .

IMG_1645-001_zps75364b2b.jpg

IMG_9204-004_zps090eb217.jpg

We are booked on the December 17th cruise on the Zaandam and hope to visit all of the Penguin spots this trip . We hope that you have good weather and a great cruise .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Can anyone comment on the Chiloe Island Penguin Colony near Ancud as a day trip from Castro? Wondering if it’s worthwhile since from what I can tell, penguin viewing is by boat and for a very short viewing period. This would be on a January port day in Castro.

Hello there! I did a Holland America tour from Santiago to Buenos Aires and definitely signed up for penguin tours on Falkland Islands. In the event we didn't make it to the Falklands, I did a penguin tour on Magdelena Island in Puento Arenas and it was great! I think that is the best strategy--don't wait for the Falklands, but get in at least one penguin tour before the Falklands. Enjoy!