Observation Bar - Queen Mary

Thebosn1

Has anyone gone to the Observation Bar on the Queen Mary when they were NOT staying on board? I have already done the tours and stuff, I just wanted to meet some friends there for drinks before our October cruise.

Are you able to go to the bar without buying a pass to the ship, if you are not staying on board?

Thanks.

It's been many years since I stayed at the Hotel Queen Mary, but the Observation Bar was part of the hotel's facilities. It was open to all at that time. Just checking the hotel's web site, it still is. Parking price and menus available are also listed. Check out the hotel's web site.

It's been many years since I stayed at the Hotel Queen Mary, but the Observation Bar was part of the hotel's facilities. It was open to all at that time. Just checking the hotel's web site, it still is. Parking price and menus available are also listed. Check out the hotel's web site.

Thank you. I'm not staying at the hotel though. My question was whether I would need to buy a ticket just to get on the ship to go to the bar.

There is nothing on their web site that indicates one has to buy a ticket to get on the ship to use the hotel's facilities. As I recall, the entrance to the hotel is separate from the entrance for ship's tours. One does have to pay to park, hotel guest or not. But, I saw a reference on their web site that your parking ticket can be validated at the hotel if you are a hotel guest. And, to me, that means I am patronizing a hotel facility and not simply staying at the hotel.

As a previous poster suggested, call the hotel and ask them directly.

It's been many years since we spent the night on her. But, as I recall it's correct there are two entrances (tour & hotel). When we stayed at the hotel we had access to the walking tour. But we had to go back out and re-enter showing our hotel pass. I am guessing you could get to the bar without paying for the tour. It wouldn't make sense the hotel would limit access to the bar and restaurants only to people paying for a tour or even staying on in the hotel.

The ship is open to the public and you can freely enter the ship without paying thru the hotel entrance. The only cost is if you decide to take a ship tour. All bars and restaurants are open to hotel guests and day visitors. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
I did finally get an answer on this BTW. After 6PM you can purchase a $10 pass and go to the bar or the chowder house. The $10 for the pass is applied to your bar tab.

If I am understanding what you are saying correctly, what COMBOY and others of us have said is incorrect? The Hotel's restaurants and bars are NOT open to the public without buying a pass?

If I am understanding what you are saying correctly, what COMBOY and others of us have said is incorrect? The Hotel's restaurants and bars are NOT open to the public without buying a pass?

This from the Queen Mary website.

DO I NEED AN ADMISSION TICKET TO GO ON THE SHIP TO EAT OR DRINK?

All guests onboard the Queen Mary are required to have a TOUR TICKET, ROOM KEY, or RESTAURANT RESERVATION.

The hotel employee said that after 6 PM you pay $10 and you can go to the chowder house of the observation bar. The $10 is applied to your bill.