Recommended Italian restaurant near midtown Manhattan?

Odonpeg

We will be staying at 6th and 37th in mid-October. We're looking for a reasonably priced Italian restaurant (not just pizza) within walking distance, if possible. We prefer a mom and pop type place over a fancy place.

Thank you for any recommendations.

We will be staying at 6th and 37th in mid-October. We're looking for a reasonably priced Italian restaurant (not just pizza) within walking distance, if possible. We prefer a mom and pop type place over a fancy place.

Thank you for any recommendations.

It's not Midtown, but it's smack dab in the middle of Little Italy....Paesano's on Mulberry Street....my favorite Italian joint in the city. (and yes, it's a small, non-fancy place :D)....the fried ravioli is off the hook.

Patsy's Italian Restaurant on 236 W 56th Street is a very popular and famous Italian Restaurant.

Frank Sinatra marked this restaurant as his favorite stomping grounds.

Has extensive menu of Italian Favorites and has good ratings.

From 6th & 37th, you can walk thru quite a bit of the area ex. Columbus Circle, Central Park, Times Square, Herald Square, Bryant Park to walk off all that great Italian food.

Enjoy your trip and NYC!!

Here’s another within walking distance. Tony’s DiNapolis. W43 Street. Most of the restaurants in Manhattan are owned by restaurant groups not exactly Mom and Pop. But I think you want a homey place instead of fancy. Carmine’s good for that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Becco. One of Lidia Bastianich's. On restaurant row. (46th between 8th and 9th). In addition to their regular menu, each night the chef creates what they call the Sinfonia di Pasta. Three pastas with a salad. All you can eat for $25. Hands down, the best deal in New York. Also lots of wine choices for $29.

• Like 1

We were in Manhattan last October, staying at the Crowne Plaza on W. 36th St, between 8th and 9th Ave. We read some excellent reviews for Mercato, on W. 39th St, just off 9th Ave. It is a small, rustic, Italian restaurant. We had their lasagna and pork belly one evening, and both dishes were excellent. Enjoyed it so much, we returned a few nights later, and again, our entrees were delicious. Look at the reviews on Yelp. I'm in complete agreement with the reviews that describe the warm ambiance and excellent quality of the dishes. Portions and prices were also reasonable. This may be more in line with what you were looking for; walking distance, Italian, less of a touristy feel.

I see many mentioning Becco. Been once. but, on the same block is a restaurant I have been going to since the late 70's - Joe Allen.

It does not tick the Italian Box, but it is as Mom and Pop as you can get. I go around 5-6 time s a year. Intimate setting and has been there since about 1965. A great setting and they have a darling collection of Broadway posters for 1 night FLOPS decorating the walls. Place is great. Get reservations and go to a true tourist-free lovely veteran restaurant. Have a great trip!

• 5 months later...

I see this thread goes back to the fall...….I am still trying to decide where to eat dinner in the city before I go see BEAUTIFUL.

I know Restaurant Row is right near the theater district...….I posted on another thread too but this Italian theme is sounding delicious.:classic_biggrin:.  One of my roll call mates recommended Lattanzi's.  Any of you know it?  I will be in NYC in April:classic_biggrin: the show is at the Sondheim Theater on 43rd.

My wife and I have eaten at Lattanzi's several times and enjoyed it. It's a little west of Becco, which we also like. In addition to their regular menu, they have (or did have) a selection of Roman Jewish cuisine that's quite interesting. And if you're looking for old-school elegant Italian, try Barbetta (closer to 8th Avenue) Like all the good Restaurant Row places, make a reservation.

Edited by Langoustine

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, madelinerose said:

Basso56

Becco

Patsy's (just be sure the waiter doesn't put his fingers in your glass while carrying it to the table)

Trattoria Dell'Arte

Hi again:classic_biggrin:...which one?  I am going to pass on Becco……..Basso 56 looks good on line and so does Trattoria...…..out of those 2 which would you pick?

Joe Allen gets lots of broadway actors etc , do not think food is great , a few years ago we were there with large group and place was empty and they sat Joan Rivers at table next to us but then they decided to move to another table.

Patsy’s is interesting but food is just ok, was favorite place of Sinatra at one point , owner told some interesting stories about him on the news once. Owner did introduce himself to us and gave us a bottle of his sauce that sells in many grocery stores, location is a long walk from theater. 

On 2/18/2019 at 10:44 PM, madelinerose said:

I agree that Patsy's is just ok, but imo definitely better than Joe Allen, which we did not like. 😉

I agree but Joe Allen has a great bar, will be eating there in May since one of our group doesn’t like Italian , two years ago at dinner Allison Janney who had won academy award was there.