Can someone explain cruisenext?

Jayonce1982

I realize that it’s a program to put a deposit down on a future cruise but I don’t understand the incentive structure or the restrictions. I assume you would put $250 down as a deposit on a future cruise but what is the benefit of doing that?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, you can use two certificates per cruise as long as you are in a balcony or higher and book at least 6 months in advance. So in that case you are saving $250 off the total cost of your cruise.

It always seems to me that they have gone out of their way to make the program complicated by saying that you pay one price and get OBC back. But that OBC is credited directly back to you on the purchase of the certificates. I have seen a thread somewhere on here saying that they aren't going to use that explanation anymore, so hopefully it will be less confusing because it really is a nice way to save a little money if you plan to continue sailing on NCL.

Sent from my H3321 using Forums mobile app

What happens is that the cost of the certificate(s) is charged to your Folio, say $500 for 2. Immediately a credit of $250 for those is credited to the Folio.

If you think logically all that means is that you are paying $250 for the two certificates.

However by NCL calling it OBC they are trying to con you into spending that on the boat so not using it to decrease the original cost.

I just purchased a cruise next last week, $250 certificate, it can be used up until 4 years, transferable to family or friends, How they word the deal is odd, even the "cruise councilors" were confusing us. Basically we got $100 off our current cruise costs on board (can be used toward gratuities) and we get still get $250 credit toward next cruise. So in essence we paid $250 but got a immediate rebate of $100. The more cruise nexts you buy the higher the credit. This is the barebones response, if you book 6 months out and do a balcony you get more credit. We buy last minute deals sometimes less than 6 days out, otherwise you get ripped by ncl

It is a ploy to try to get people spend the OBC and not just use it to pay part of the Certificate's cost

It's really a nasty tactic. Not illegal, but slimy.

I fell for it on my first 2-3 cruises with NCL when I bought certificates. "$250 OBC? Oh my! I better spend that amount before the cruise ends so I don't lose it!" Total nonsense.

We see what you're doing, NCL. Stop it.

It's really a nasty tactic. Not illegal, but slimy.

I fell for it on my first 2-3 cruises with NCL when I bought certificates. "$250 OBC? Oh my! I better spend that amount before the cruise ends so I don't lose it!" Total nonsense.

We see what you're doing, NCL. Stop it.

not a big ncl fan here, but i bought the cruise next, will find a last minute deal from nyc sometime in the next 4 years I am sure. I just used the $100 credit toward my gratuities. We almost never buy anything on board so our bill is the gratuities charge. They took $100 off our bill, I dont see anything slimy, like I said not a big ncl fan here, I mostly hate them. basically we paid a deposit of $250 toward our next cruise (sometime in the next 4 years) and received $100 now.

Edited by Newleno

The trick is to remember you can only use 1 cruisenext per cabin per cruise unless you book balcony or higher, or they have a promotion.

While I like the balconies, they often would add $2-3k to the cruise cost, and we’d rather have more trips to more destinations for the price difference. So we usually pay for inside or oceanview and get another vacation.

However misunderstanding on my part that we wouldEACH be able to use a cruisenext certificate means we have 3 expiring next year with not enough vacation time to take 3 cruises ... unless we waste (or use) them on a couple 3-4 day Bahamas trips as Norwegian doesn’t have cruises to some of the places we’re planning vacations to (Normandy D-Day 75th anniversary, for instance)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are we really in the minority for actually being out of pocket a few hundred $ at the end of the cruise? To us, the $250 back is a good deal since between gratuities, spa pass, photos, maybe a bingo game or 2... it adds up! We aren't extravagant by any means but we want to enjoy ourselves on the cruise.

I don't think it's slimy at all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Are we really in the minority for actually being out of pocket a few hundred $ at the end of the cruise? To us, the $250 back is a good deal since between gratuities, spa pass, photos, maybe a bingo game or 2... it adds up! We aren't extravagant by any means but we want to enjoy ourselves on the cruise.

I don't think it's slimy at all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The point most people are making is that it’s not $250 back. It’s a $250 discount. “$250 back” to most people means a $250 gain.

You do not pay $250 and get $500 in certificates AND $250 OBC. You pay $500, get $500 in certificates and a $250 credit. So, you net pay $250 and you owe it because it is on your statement. You’re not making money. You don’t have more OBC to spend on other things. It’s been spent on the certificates.

Your statement will be $250 higher after the transactions. It is not $250 lower.

The one advantage people miss is that one certificate is a deposit for a cabin. Usually, there is a deposit per person.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What happens is that the cost of the certificate(s) is charged to your Folio, say $500 for 2. Immediately a credit of $250 for those is credited to the Folio.

If you think logically all that means is that you are paying $250 for the two certificates.

However by NCL calling it OBC they are trying to con you into spending that on the boat so not using it to decrease the original cost.

They call it OBC because it IS OBC. No one is trying to con anyone into anything. Besides you are not on a boat you are on a ship!

• Like 1

The point most people are making is that it’s not $250 back. It’s a $250 discount. “$250 back” to most people means a $250 gain.

You do not pay $250 and get $500 in certificates AND $250 OBC. You pay $500, get $500 in certificates and a $250 credit. So, you net pay $250 and you owe it because it is on your statement. You’re not making money. You don’t have more OBC to spend on other things. It’s been spent on the certificates.

Your statement will be $250 higher after the transactions. It is not $250 lower.

The one advantage people miss is that one certificate is a deposit for a cabin. Usually, there is a deposit per person.

LOL no it does not.

Your statement will be $250 higher and you will have $500 worth of vouchers. You are making $250.

They never say nor do they imply that this is the case.

That's why I don't touch NCL's cruise next certs. When things are unnecessarily complicated to me it means they are trying to con me somehow.

Besides I don't value cruise line loyalty so there is no need to lock myself with NCL.

If you know that you are going to book an NCL cruise in the fairly near future then there isn't really any downside to getting the certificates. Even if you do decide to spend that $250 rather than view it as a discount then you have got some extra value on your current cruise from that spending.

Of course, if you don't know whether you will be booking another cruise then it is potentially a waste of money.

• Like 1

If you know that you are going to book an NCL cruise in the fairly near future then there isn't really any downside to getting the certificates. Even if you do decide to spend that $250 rather than view it as a discount then you have got some extra value on your current cruise from that spending.

Of course, if you don't know whether you will be booking another cruise then it is potentially a waste of money.

I know I will be booking cruises but I don't know if any of them will be with NCL within 4 years. It would be kind of like putting down a non refundable deposit for a lower cruise price. Not worth it to me.

I know I will be booking cruises but I don't know if any of them will be with NCL within 4 years. It would be kind of like putting down a non refundable deposit for a lower cruise price. Not worth it to me.

Absolutely. That’s what my second paragraph said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk