First European Cruise X 2

jula55

We are so excited about this great adventure. First Northern Baltic then Norway. Any suggestions regarding currencies? Do we just use our credit card or do we exchange and carry euros. Just don't want to encounter a problem we could avoid. Thank you.

We are so excited about this great adventure. First Northern Baltic then Norway. Any suggestions regarding currencies? Do we just use our credit card or do we exchange and carry euros. Just don't want to encounter a problem we could avoid. Thank you.

Credit cards are widely accepted. Which countries will you be visiting? Below is a list of countries frequently visited on Baltic itineraries & the local currencies:

Russia = ruble

Norway = Norwegian krone

Denmark = Danish krone

Sweden = Swedish krona

Germany = euro

Tallinn = euro

Helsinki = euro

Cruiser Bruce I have been looking for this board for a long time. Never found it. Thank you for sharing the link. I have already learned so much. We leave in 6 days so I will be busy reading up on all the information. Dogs 4 fun thank you for the currency info. I think we now have a better idea of what we will need. Woohoo....so excited.....can't wait.

For our Baltic cruise last year, we had small amounts of Swedish Kroner, Euros, US $ and UK Pounds. However we used very little cash, as most places took Visa.

In Russia, we were unable to get Rubles before arrival, so used US$. The currency notes must be in good condition to be accepted, especially in Russia.

• 2 weeks later...

Just note that in some/most of the countries that despite using Euro's that change may be given back in the local currency if you are using a smaller establishment or one that is slightly out of the tourist areas.

Norway is going cashless and is almost completely there. Currently, less than 10% of all transactions are in cash, even the smallest amounts. Use or get a credit card with no foreign transactions fees and bring a debit card with a pin for when you encounter an unattended machine.

We made five stops on our cruise two summers ago. We never used any cash at all.

I haven’t been to your other stops, so no comments on them.

I live in Norway- and never carry cash. Just my visa and a mastercard. Have a nice holiday :)

• 2 weeks later...