Transfer booking to travel agent

Budski54

In the process of looking for a cruise, I was corresponding via email with a travel agent. Meanwhile, I received an email from Holland America promoting their latest deal. So, I booked with Holland America .

After informing the travel agent, she said that I could transfer my booking to her( as long as final payment has not occurred), and she could become the agent for the cruise, and she could give me some onboard credit.

Would transferring my booking cause my HAL cruise consultant to lose credit of commission? Are there any cautions to worry about with transferring my booking? What are the positives and negatives of transferring? What are your experiences of transferring a booking?

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

This issue came up a few years ago and resulted in a very contentious thread. With respect to the HAL agent losing their commission for the booking, I can only say for sure that Carnival agents do lose their commission but I don't know the policy at HAL. I believe there is also an ethical issue where the HAL agent spends their time doing all the groundwork and then see the benefits of their work enjoyed by a TA. This doesn't seem to apply in your case as you initially were dealing with a TA so I would be comfortable receiving the added benefits afforded by the TA.

The couple of times years ago that we did book specific future cruises while on the ship, the FCC did ask us (after they did all the work) if we wanted to transfer the booking to our TA -- she had noticed that we use a specific agent.

We said yes -- no problems.

KK, our (multiple) experiences with this matter mirror yours exactly.

Would transferring my booking cause my HAL cruise consultant to lose credit of commission? Are there any cautions to worry about with transferring my booking? What are the positives and negatives of transferring? What are your experiences of transferring a booking?

I always transfer our bookings to a TA since I always get a lower price and/or OBC from the TA. The transfer process is very easy. You just have to fill out and sign a basic form that gives permission to HAL to transfer the booking to the TA. From then on you talk to your TA about your booking rather than HAL. It’s always been painless and monetarily worth it for us.

Thanks all for the replies.

On the HAL cruise that I was on in March, the FCC also said something about transferring the booking with no problem. I just wanted to make sure that the HAL cruise consultant don't lose out on anything. I left a voicemail with my cruise consultant, so I'll wait until I hear back from him on Monday.

Once again, thanks all for the replies.

I was talking to my PCC a couple of weeks ago. She mentioned that she could see I had booked a HAL cruise with a big box TA. She suggested that next time, I book it through her and then transfer it to the TA. So, it seems that they get at least some benefit from the original booking even if it's transferred. I plan to talk to her tomorrow and I'll see if I can find out more.

I always do my initial booking with my PCC. She has told me many times that she gets the credit she needs by making the initial booking. She has been very good about assisting with the transfer. Talking with friends that do the same thing I find that their PCCs have told them the same thing,.

I always do my initial booking with my PCC. She has told me many times that she gets the credit she needs by making the initial booking. She has been very good about assisting with the transfer. Talking with friends that do the same thing I find that their PCCs have told them the same thing,.
c.f.

Richwmn, thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear that your PCC is always encouraging and supportive with making a booking transfer.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean that you lose the credit. Can you give an example?

When I am looking for a HAL cruise, I go to their website and do a mock booking without entering my Mariners number. It shows the onboard credit.

Then I go back, and enter my number. I get a discounted fare, but no onboard credits.

On the cruise that I booked for January 2019, on the phone through my PCC, once again, a discounted fare, but no onboard credits.

When I am looking for a HAL cruise, I go to their website and do a mock booking without entering my Mariners number. It shows the onboard credit.

Then I go back, and enter my number. I get a discounted fare, but no onboard credits.

On the cruise that I booked for January 2019, on the phone through my PCC, once again, a discounted fare, but no onboard credits.

Ahh okay now I know what you're referring to. Sometimes HAL assigns special Mariner pricing to certain sailings. For example, right now I don't have any but my husband does. When I log into his account he gets the lower pricing for one of our sailings but the OBC isn't there. When I did the math it was better to book with my Mariner number. Sometimes it works the other way around.

c.f.

Richwmn, thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear that your PCC is always encouraging and supportive with making a booking transfer.

Correct. Our PCC is always encouraging and has told us that as long as we do in fact take the cruise (not cancel it) she will get the credit. As a courtesy we always let her know when we'll be making the transfer. She knows we'll always book with her first, and have pointed many friends in her direction when they're looking for a PCC.