??? Standard Cancellation Plan

Lyndihop

Does the plan cover pre-existing conditions?

Has your hip now become a preexisting problem?

Yes it will cover preexisting conditions. It's actually a "cancel for any reason" policy.

You don't even have to give the reason when cancelling.

There are some conditions, like cancelling in writing within a certain time frame before sail date.

Evacuation? I wonder if they do Europe?

Yes, Europe is covered by the evacuation policies I have taken out.

Since I still may be told not to take my upcoming cruise, I have taken the HAL Cancel for any Reason coverage. I also purchased a medical/evacuation policy in case I am allowed to go, but something happens to me while I am gone. That policy was actually not terribly expensive, either.

I like to talk to an agent at Insure My Trip to discuss what I think I need, have them ask appropriate questions, and give them a chance to discuss what else I may need/want. Then I make a decision, and they recommend a plan to best meet my needs.

If you are buying one of HAL's insurance policies, you need to buy it 1 day before final payment.

Watch out for this... it actually must be purchased before ANY penalties apply, if any part of you deposit/payment is non-refundable then you cannot add the HAL protection plans. You can only purchase a plan when the booking is fully refundable.

We found that the hard way. We switched a booking made with future cruise credit to a cheaper non-refundable deposit rate code. Then later when adding flights, we tried to add the protection plan. No Dice/No exceptions.

It actually caused C***co agent retraining because we were not warned that we had to buy the protection plan when we switched the booking. And we had actually talked on the call about getting the plan, but the agent was unaware of the restrictions and didn't say anything.

Fun fact, C***co records all the calls and can review them months later :)

High end credit cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve in particular) offer good travel benefits and definitely cover medical issues that arise. There is a benefit for medical cancelation, probably less than the full amount. Check out your credit card travel benefits.

We are not looking for 100% coverage on anything. Assume a little risk (partial reimbursement, higher deductibles) and you will save thousands over a lifetime on all types of insurance.

Watch out for this... it actually must be purchased before ANY penalties apply, if any part of you deposit/payment is non-refundable then you cannot add the HAL protection plans. You can only purchase a plan when the booking is fully refundable.

We found that the hard way. We switched a booking made with future cruise credit to a cheaper non-refundable deposit rate code. Then later when adding flights, we tried to add the protection plan. No Dice/No exceptions.

It actually caused C***co agent retraining because we were not warned that we had to buy the protection plan when we switched the booking. And we had actually talked on the call about getting the plan, but the agent was unaware of the restrictions and didn't say anything.

That's a good point.

Also on some refundable (not non refundable) cruises, there is a penalty phase BEFORE final payment.

It's important to look at when "forfeiture" starts. The policy must be purchased before that time frame.

that was the case on our Westerdam cruise and I believe any cruise over x days (I think it is 30, but I'm not sure). Fortunately sapper1, always observant alerted our roll call so those that wanted it had the chance to get it.

High end credit cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve in particular) offer good travel benefits and definitely cover medical issues that arise. There is a benefit for medical cancelation, probably less than the full amount. Check out your credit card travel benefits.

We are not looking for 100% coverage on anything. Assume a little risk (partial reimbursement, higher deductibles) and you will save thousands over a lifetime on all types of insurance.

That would actually cover in full, most trips. BUT it doesn't cover preexisting conditions. It also will only cover travel delays for the card holder, spouse and children under 23-If they are with you or on their own traveling.

We opted for HAL Platinum that covered cancel for NO reason and pre existing was covered. And it had a little medical allowance as well as transportation back home. But in calling their insurance provider, we were told that it was at our cost to return home, then submit for reimbursement. That could be a fly in the ointment.

Does the plan cover pre-existing conditions?

Has your hip now become a preexisting problem?

Thee is no pre-existing issue with the cancellation plan. You can purchase the plan up to the time that penalties begin to accrue, and you can cancel at any time and for any reason. However, this is not travel or medical insurance. It's best use is for those who may need to cancel for any reason, although it does have some minimum evacuation benefits.

OP should look on the HAL website to get the full details. I can't give that site at the moment, but I am sure that others will be able to direct OP.

Who told you that you could not buy the CPP? HAL or the insurance underwriter? The plan specifically provides for all"non-refundable" expenses. I called the insurance underwriter who, perhaps incorrectly, told me that of course it was refundable. That is the purpose of the plan. In her words: "What part of non-refundable do you not understand?"

Related to this topic: If one has a HAL cancellation plan, and one has to cancel, how does one actually cancel? Do you call your TA/PCC, the insurance company or can one just not show up? I'm asking because I've done all the travel arrangements. If I were to have an accident in the embarkation port prior to the cruise, I want to tell my DM, in case I'm incapcitated, what she needs to do to cancel and get a portion of our fare back. Just considering different scenarios... Fortunately, we've never had to cancel at a late date (yet).

Who told you that you could not buy the CPP?

HAL.

You can only purchase the plan when the booking is fully refundable. Once there is ANY non-refundable "penalty" on the booking, you can no longer purchase the HAL plans.

I believe other non-HAL plans can still be purchased, but they excluded the non-refundable amounts at the time of purchase.

This is all because of the moral hazard of only buying the insurance when you already intend to cancel.

Related to this topic: If one has a HAL cancellation plan, and one has to cancel, how does one actually cancel? Do you call your TA/PCC, the insurance company or can one just not show up? I'm asking because I've done all the travel arrangements. If I were to have an accident in the embarkation port prior to the cruise, I want to tell my DM, in case I'm incapcitated, what she needs to do to cancel and get a portion of our fare back. Just considering different scenarios... Fortunately, we've never had to cancel at a late date (yet).

Been there, Done that.....

I canceled 4 days prior to leaving and all I had to do was call HAL. Refunds for shorex and specialty dining we’re back in my account within 48 hours. Refund for cruise and precruise package soon followed. I had no paperwork to do.

Note that my cancellation occurred before HAL had converted it into insurance. HAL handles the CAR prior to departure “in house”. It converts to a travel insurance policy just before you begin travel. You can expect paperwork if you interrupt your trip. So far, thankfully, I haven’t done that.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

The “standard plan” is not insurance. It is cruise protection provided by the cruise line up until the cruise departs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And close to departure is converted to a travel insurance plan to cover exposures on the road.

Been there, Done that.....

I canceled 4 days prior to leaving and all I had to do was call HAL. Refunds for shorex and specialty dining we’re back in my account within 48 hours. Refund for cruise and precruise package soon followed. I had no paperwork to do.

Note that my cancellation occurred before HAL had converted it into insurance. HAL handles the CAR prior to departure “in house”. It converts to a travel insurance policy just before you begin travel. You can expect paperwork if you interrupt your trip. So far, thankfully, I haven’t done that.

Thanks for the response. A follow-up question - had you booked your cruise through a TA or directly with HAL? Just wondering if one HAD to go through the TA to cancel (we used the big box TA for our upcoming cruise). Calling HAL would be much easier than going through the TA.

Thanks for the response. A follow-up question - had you booked your cruise through a TA or directly with HAL? Just wondering if one HAD to go through the TA to cancel (we used the big box TA for our upcoming cruise). Calling HAL would be much easier than going through the TA.

Unfortunately, once in the hands of a TA, you (or your DM) can no longer deal directly with HAL on your booking.