Don't miss menu items

suec12

Don't miss:

Croissants, Dive-in Burgers and Hot Dogs, Liver and Onions, Swedish Crepes at Breakfast, many of the Asian dishes offered in the Lido Restaurant during Lunch and in the MDR sometimes, Prime Rib is good, usually--but it can disappoint, their preparation of Soft Shell Crab that I recently experienced was excellent and I was surprised to see it on the menu, Guava Juice (if available), Room Service's Club Sandwich, and in the Lido Restaurant--the hot off the waffle iron waffles with the various fruit compotes.

I had the same question, so I Googled it (of course).;) Here is one of the results, apparently 'sunchokes' are simple another name for 'artichokes'..

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sunchoke-and-cauliflower-soup

Not really, sunchokes are also called Jerusalem artichokes and are quite different from the traditional globe artichokes that you peal leaf by leaf and dip in sauce. They are more like a tuber. Mild but slightly earthy flavored. To me they taste more like water chestnuts. Not a globe artichoke heart either.

I had the same question, so I Googled it (of course).clear.png?emoji-wink-1685 Here is one of the results, apparently 'sunchokes' are simple another name for 'artichokes'..

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...uliflower-soup

We knew the soup was really good, but weren't exactly sure what sunchokes were either! According to your link sunchokes are actually Jerusalem artichokes. Here is a description I found online:

The Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus), also called sunroot, sunchoke, earth apple, or topinambour, is a species of sunflower native to eastern North America, and found from eastern Canada and Maine west to North Dakota, and south to northern Florida and Texas. It is also cultivated widely across the temperate zone for its tuber, which is used as a root vegetable.

56-3.jpg?1521734349

The sunchoke soup was on the menu towards the beginning of our 23-day Zaandam cruise and everyone at our table liked it so much our waiter said he would make arrangements to have the chef prepare it again just for us. They didn't have the correct ingredients on hand at the time, but then later in the cruise it was back on the menu for a second time on Gala Night.

IMG_0059.PNG

I did a screen shot of each day's menu from the HAL Navigator app. I think I have all of them posted on my blog if you like looking at menus! (Link is in my signature.)

Adding this to my list for our upcoming Eurodam sailing. Love a good Club Sandwich, and if the room service versions are great, then I'm in! ;):D

The last two cruises (different ships) when I ordered a Room Service Club Sandwich, the sandwich was cut into halves and not quarters which made it a bit more messy to eat. But, the taste and the quality was still there.

One of the things I like about the Room Service Menu is that Potato Salad is available with some of the sandwiches. It's no longer available in the Lido Restaurant. I have been told it is because of "food safety concerns".

The no-sugar-added Black Forest Cake is amazing! And I don’t even really like cake.

Agree! I always get it when it shows up on the menu...and I don't have a sugar restriction.

Bread pudding in the lido.

Cheese platter from room service

Ginger from the yum yum station

I think they still have Alaska king crab legs on some cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Jade,

Nice to see you posting. :)

|

I agree that the Cheese Platter from Room Service is good. But, one order is very skimpy.

I agree that the Cheese Platter from Room Service is good. But, one order is very skimpy.

Agree -- I mentioned this many years ago when we ordered the cheese platter.

We got 4 tiny, tiny pieces of cheese and 1 package of saltines.

After that we would pick up our own cheese either from the Neptune Lounge or the Lido -- place the cheese in baggies and take them back to the cabin and refrigerate for later in the day.

I’m a big fan of liver and onions, but have never tried it while onboard. Next cruise, I will certainly order it.

My all time favorite dish on Hal is escargot. I haven’t found any restaurant that makes it as well.

I also love anything in Tamarind and am disappointed that my next cruise will be on Zuiderdam and there is no Tamarind.

Chocolate Covered Apples

Years ago we were on a sailing where Chocolate Covered Apples were served almost daily in the Lido. So good! On subsequent sailings, they were offered once, maybe twice, per cruise. We especially like the ones with white chocolate.

Happy Sailing! :)

Mango Spire ( absent from recent menus to my despair)

Bread pudding

Eggs benedict, but make sure the eggs are runny

Anything Indonesian

Dive-in burgers

The Ragu sauce at the Italian station in the Lido Market, ask for extra garlic...

Prime rib

Lamb dishes

In general, the Asian food

Keep away from:

The shrimp cocktail on Formal nights, which uses farmed, tasteless shrimp instead of real Belgian/Dutch grey shrimp .

Risottos

Crab cake ( where is the crab??)

Pizza, except when NY Pizza/deli is onboard

Food on HAL is decent quality for mass-banquet dining and in recent years, they did try to modernize the choices. Only the Formal nights lack in quality and contemporary choices and offer often the least appetizing menus

1) Salmon wrapped in pufffed pastry with dill sauce. It was outstanding!

2) In the Pinnacle Gril: The Seafood Stew in Italian Tomato Broth. Insanely good!

I so agree with you about the Seafood Stew! Simply delicious!

1) Dive-In Burgers--delicious 2) the strawberry mousse dessert--heavenly (as were all the desserts) 3) spaetzle--hadn't had it in years & it was so good 4) I don't even want to think about how much bacon I ate. They pile it on and I never summoned the willpower to turn any of it down. :)

I love foie gras and was curious about the asterisk next to it on the menu in post 32. Does that mean no seconds?! Also how likely it is to be on the Eurodam in Mexico in November.

No, you can have seconds. I believe the asterisk is to note a health advisory about eating partially cooked meats. I think the picture does not show the full page or else the explanation is on another page.

Found the notation: * The U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises that eating uncooked or partially cooked meat, seafood,shellfish, milk, poultry and/or eggs may increase your risk for food borne illness,especially if you have certain medical conditions.

Enjoy your foie gras and your cruise!