Homer, AK

Karen604

We are on the last 14 day trip out of Seattle bound for Alaska. Can anyone tell me what sort of transportation there is from the end of the spit into town. Does HAL provide anything?

There is a yarn shop on Main Street that is a must see for me!

Thanks

Edited by Karen604
grammer

we are on the last 14 day trip out of Seattle bound for Alaska. Can anyone tell me what sort of transportation there is from the end of the spit into town. Does HAL provide anything?

Thanks

Homer provides a complimentary shuttle from the security check at the beginning of the pier (left) to the Homer Spit and back (one stop) and (from the check point right) a "hop on hop off" bus for $15 each that takes you into town and makes four stops. Be advised that both these modes of transportation are via good old school bus

We are on the last 14 day trip out of Seattle bound for Alaska. Can anyone tell me what sort of transportation there is from the end of the spit into town. Does HAL provide anything?

Thanks

Make sure you check out the wool shop in Anchorage, the Wooly Mammoth. Great selection

I am afraid you will be disappointed going into town. We generally go to the spit on the shuttle and then eat at one of the few restaurants - the food is always fresh, a bit overpriced since cruise ship in ... but excellent.

harry

Check out the map of Homer online to find out where your yarn shop is. Ask the driver where to get off the bus. Most people are disappointed when they get off at the first stop. Homer is a nice little town and has the Pratt Museum and the Islands and Oceans Visitor Center. Wander around a bit, see how the locals live, you may even see a moose (we did). Have a wonderful time!

The prices -- even for yarn -- is much higher in Alaska -- nearly everything has to be brought into the towns.

When we did Homer -- we just took the free shuttle -- old school buses -- over to the Spit.

Recently people have reported that the pay for Hop-On-Hop-Off was very crowded and they had to wait quite a while for a bus to get back to the ship.

Thanks

Thank you for posting this! I love to look for local yarn, so I checked out this store. VERY expensive yarn, but local, so I have to get some to add to my yarn stash. I'll be there before you, but I promise I'll leave plenty for you! Copper posted a good description of the HoHo stops recently, and the 4th stop looks closest.

• 10 months later...

ACTUAL TIME IN PORT?

I know this thread is a little older, but I wanted to know from recent Zaandam passengers what times you were actually in port versus what times were originally scheduled. Currently, our itinerary says we'll be there from 8am - 6pm, but I have seen "When and Wheres" from late May that show an actual time of 9am - 7pm. Thanks to anyone who can tell of their experience!

SHUTTLES

For those currently planning and wondering about transportation, the free Homer Spit Shuttle still runs from the ship to the Salty Dawg. In your planning, you may have come across the HopOn HopOff Trolley for $15 that runs hourly -- please note that while passengers are able to use this trolley, this is a different service than the HopOn HopOff specifically for cruise passengers, which is also $15. This service (as mentioned above, a school bus) is on a 20 minute route with 4 stops. I was told there are 3 buses running this route daily.

Happy Sailing! :)

TAXIS

I was curious if any recent visitors to Homer could tell me if there were taxis available near the ship upon arrival?

THANKS!

Don't think so, it is a pretty small and limited facility port stop last May/June. The shuttles are all that I remember at the dock area. There are tour agencies on the Spit. Maybe there are rental car agencies if you can get into town. Not sure the town is set up to offer any sort of major tourism-dependent taxi operation. What does google say - others hopefully can offer more help

OlsSalt,

Thanks for replying. Google (+ searching old posts here on CC and TA) comes back with mixed results, with most echoing what you said. Most of the info is older, so I was curious about recent passengers’ experiences. Thanks.

DEPARTURE TIME

While I didn’t check the webcam this morning for the Zaandam’s arrival to Homer, I did periodically check this evening. The Zaandam was still at the dock at 6:30pm and when I checked again at 6:54pm, it looked like the ship had just left the dock and could still be seen on the webcam sailing away. So it appears this sailing also had a 6:30pm All Aboard (although the schedule gives a 6pm departure time). If any recent Zaandam passengers recall what times you were there versus the original itinerary, feel free to chime in.

Happy Sailing!:)

SPIT SHUTTLE HOURS

I see on previous "When and Wheres" the Homer Spit Shuttle starts operating upon arrival. I am assuming it keeps running until it is near to the All Aboard time; is that correct?

THANKS! :)

SPIT SHUTTLE HOURS

I see on previous "When and Wheres" the Homer Spit Shuttle starts operating upon arrival. I am assuming it keeps running until it is near to the All Aboard time; is that correct?

THANKS! :)

See the cover of the attached:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ZA-WW-Day-09-Homer.pdf

Great blog, Lisa! You've given me some new ideas on what to do on next year's cruise (same itinerary). I'm all in for the beer but not the zipline. ;p

I'm anxiously awaiting the next episode.

Thanks! There are more posts to come. At SeaTac updating the Facebook page now. I wrote the posts on the ship and will update the blog g this week. This is a fantastic itinerary! Also check out Crews News website. I acquired a bunch of great info there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to give an update: the Zaandam’s hours in Homer on August 7 were indeed 9am to 7pm, with an All Aboard time of 6:30pm and not 8am-6pm as in the itinerary. This apparently has been the case all season, yet when I contacted Ship Services to confirm, they told me to go by the itinerary and I got the impression they did not double check.;)

The $15.95 HopOn HopOff into Homer ran from 9:30am to 4:45pm. The free Spit Shuttle ran until 5:30pm.

Happy Sailing! :)

Edited by syesmar