16 day South Ameica Passage

Happyface987

Please suggest excursions worth their value either from the Zaandam or outside excursions.

A little more information would be in order before anyone can give a helpful answer. Such as:

What are your ports?

What are your interests?

Are there any physical limitations?

A little more information would be in order before anyone can give a helpful answer. Such as:

What are your ports?

What are your interests?

Are there any physical limitations?

Puerto Montt, Chile

Punta Arenas, Chile

Ushuaia, Argentina

Stanley/Falkland

Montevideo, Uruguay

Punta del Este, Uraguay, I think I am set with Buenos Aires. Not a biking tour or anything very strenuous

Do enjoy nature and want to explore and get a feel for those cities/towns. Thx

Puerto Montt, Chile

Punta Arenas, Chile

Ushuaia, Argentina

Stanley/Falkland

Montevideo, Uruguay

Punta del Este, Uraguay, I think I am set with Buenos Aires. Not a biking tour or anything very strenuous

Do enjoy nature and want to explore and get a feel for those cities/towns. Thx

Punta Arenas has two opportunities to see penguins up close and personal. I have taken the one out to the area where you can walk a boardwalk through the land where they are; you can see their burrows.

At the end of the boardwalk there is a pavilion at the sea. You can watch hundreds (thousands?) of them all over the beach, and in the water. It's a really neat tour. You can also arrange this privately.

The other, similar, tour involves a boat out to an island. I haven't done it, so can't say too much, but I remember people raving about it.

Puerto Montt has at least one tour that goes out to a large lake, and there's a mountain. One of the tours has a short walk out to a waterfall; another has a tour in an old German village. Most of the tours out there have a shop-stop in the City of Roses.

Stanley has another opportunity to go out to see penguins up close. I have never taken this tour, as I understand it can be tough on the back riding there. But people love it. It's a nice town to ride around, too. Terribly British in the cold South Atlantic. Sort of blows my mind.

Oh, this is an easy stop to miss due to rough seas. I've made it in once, out of three tries.

Montevideo is a large, cultured city, with some interesting history and sculptures.

In Ushuaia, there's a good boat tour around some of the islands. You can see the seals/sea lions (and smell them). There's also a tour through the National Park, which is pretty good.

Hope this gives you a good start.

Please suggest excursions worth their value either from the Zaandam or outside excursions.

If you check the roll call for your cruise or others doing a similar itinerary you can find many ideas. The Zaandam will be doing multiple South America cruises. Here is the link to all of the Zaandam roll calls. You will have to scroll through and click on the ones that are going to South America:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324

And even though you are sailing with HAL, the roll calls from other cruiselines and ships doing a South America route would be a good resource.

Also check out the South America forum for other ideas. Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=76

FALKLANDS: The 4x4 excursion to see the huge penguin colony. Very rugged trip overland, but if you can stand it can be the highlight of the whole cruise. In the town itself is a gift shop totally devoted to things "penguin". Very fun place to shop.

In Puntarenas, the tour that Ruth mentioned is called the Magdalena island tour, you can take a speedboat($$$$) or the slowboat, which is more fun.

Stanley, Volunteer point, rough ride, but you'll be walking with 1000 King Pinquins, not roped off.

Punta del Este, no tour, enjoy the tender ride and walk through the town, great restaurants, great people..

Another vote for Volunteer Point in the Falklands. An incredible tour - however the ride out to the point over the bumpy bogs in the 4x4's can be hard esp. if you have back or hip problems.

Nor would I recommend it for someone who gets carsick ;p

Had my Better Half been with me, he would have had at least an hour of misery going and returning.

It is one great trip!

Punta Arenas has two opportunities to see penguins up close and personal. I have taken the one out to the area where you can walk a boardwalk through the land where they are; you can see their burrows.

At the end of the boardwalk there is a pavilion at the sea. You can watch hundreds (thousands?) of them all over the beach, and in the water. It's a really neat tour. You can also arrange this privately.

The other, similar, tour involves a boat out to an island. I haven't done it, so can't say too much, but I remember people raving about it.

Puerto Montt has at least one tour that goes out to a large lake, and there's a mountain. One of the tours has a short walk out to a waterfall; another has a tour in an old German village. Most of the tours out there have a shop-stop in the City of Roses.

Stanley has another opportunity to go out to see penguins up close. I have never taken this tour, as I understand it can be tough on the back riding there. But people love it. It's a nice town to ride around, too. Terribly British in the cold South Atlantic. Sort of blows my mind.

Oh, this is an easy stop to miss due to rough seas. I've made it in once, out of three tries.

Montevideo is a large, cultured city, with some interesting history and sculptures.

In Ushuaia, there's a good boat tour around some of the islands. You can see the seals/sea lions (and smell them). There's also a tour through the National Park, which is pretty good.

Hope this gives you a good start.

Ruth,

Ottway Sound has been closed the last 3 or so years ( I believe this will be the fourth) as the penguins have not returned.

Such a shame as it’s a lovely spot. Joseph Rosendo had an episode that played locally last week that included Ottway and The Horn. Great photography.

If you check the roll call for your cruise or others doing a similar itinerary you can find many ideas. The Zaandam will be doing multiple South America cruises. Here is the link to all of the Zaandam roll calls. You will have to scroll through and click on the ones that are going to South America:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324

And even though you are sailing with HAL, the roll calls from other cruiselines and ships doing a South America route would be a good resource.

Also check out the South America forum for other ideas. Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=76

Thank you for your good info

If you are interested in history, Colonia Sacramento is a nice shorex. I did it with HAL from Montevideo. It was a long ride (2 hours each way). It takes less time via BucaBus from BsAs. If I were to do it again from montevideo, I would opt out of the sit down lunch and spend the extra time exploring.

Also if you like history and ships, in Punta Arenas there’s Nao Victoria, a small private museum with 4 ship replicas recreated in 1:1 scale. You can do this on your own with a taxi driver. This is not a good option if you have mobility issues. We ended up doing it on our own when our private tour stood us up (thank you GV Tours).

Ush: we did a half day with Edgardo Callao’s Group (spelling?) (tour guides Ushuaia. We saw a good amount of the park and had a few nature walks. The great advantage was being in locations when the big busses were not.

Ruth,

Ottway Sound has been closed the last 3 or so years ( I believe this will be the fourth) as the penguins have not returned.

Such a shame as it’s a lovely spot. Joseph Rosendo had an episode that played locally last week that included Ottway and The Horn. Great photography.

Thanks for this.

If you are interested in history, Colonia Sacramento is a nice shorex. I did it with HAL from Montevideo. It was a long ride (2 hours each way). It takes less time via BucaBus from BsAs. If I were to do it again from montevideo, I would opt out of the sit down lunch and spend the extra time exploring.

Also if you like history and ships, in Punta Arenas there’s Nao Victoria, a small private museum with 4 ship replicas recreated in 1:1 scale. You can do this on your own with a taxi driver.

good comments, much appreciated.

Another vote for Volunteer Point in the Falklands. An incredible tour - however the ride out to the point over the bumpy bogs in the 4x4's can be hard esp. if you have back or hip problems.

We many need to reconsider this???

There are far less rigorous options than Volunteer Point (but if king penguins are a must, that's what you'll have to do).

I wrote this up for the South America board after our Zaandam trip last winter.

From our Holland America (Zaandam) cruise, Feb. 2018:

We arranged a trip to Bertha's Beach and Gypsy Cove through PatrickWatts. He was waiting as promised at the dock and as soon as the other couple who shared our driver came off the ship, we were on our way.

Our driver was Dave, a former Royal Marine from Liverpool who was among the 40 or so defenders of the Falklands when the Argentines invaded in 1982. He had lots of great information about the 76-day war.

It was about 45 minutes on asphalt and gravel roads out to Bertha's Beach, where we saw hundreds of Gentoo penguins up close, walking among them on the beach and the adjacent grassland. There were no roped-off areas or other restrictions; we were out among the birds. Then we went to Gypsy Cove, where two large groups of Magellan penguins were down on the beach below a viewing area; we could not go down there because of possible mines left over from the war. We also got a tour of battle sites, monuments and points of interest around Stanley.

Cost was $130 per person. We found this tour preferable to Volunteer Point, which involves two-plus hours each way, much of it off-road over rough terrain (although you do see the larger king penguins at Volunteer, and if that is a must for you, you should do that). But we were very, very happy with our experience and can recommend Patrick highly.

He said he does not contract with the cruise lines at all because he wants to give people a good experience at a more reasonable price, and he said he hires only experienced drivers. We saw first-hand evidence of this when a 10-passenger van got stuck in the sand approaching Bertha's Beach, with clients on an official Holland America tour, We spoke to some of them back on the ship; they were not pleased at the distance they had to walk from the spot they got stuck. The van eventually got winched out by an independent jeep driver (unsure if it was one of Patrick's or maybe Estancia Tours), but the van did not proceed to the beach to get the passengers. It stayed where it was and the passengers had to walk all the way back. Patrick struck us as a tour operator with integrity and we are pleased to recommend his company.

Edited by Dr.Dobro
dumb mistake

Ruth,

:eek: I did not know this, and am sorry to learn it.

Thanks, though, for letting me/us know. I'll stop recommending it, but it was a great tour. I did it twice it was so good.

In Puntarenas, the tour that Ruth mentioned is called the Magdalena island tour, you can take a speedboat($$$$) or the slowboat, which is more fun.

Stanley, Volunteer point, rough ride, but you'll be walking with 1000 King Pinquins, not roped off.

Punta del Este, no tour, enjoy the tender ride and walk through the town, great restaurants, great people..

Helpful, thank you