"If only I'd brought..."

le4ne

A question to all you experienced cruisers out there...

What one thing do you always ensure you pack?

You've got your documents, tickets, passport, camera, sun cream, night cream, stuffed toy, valium, clown-repellant, superhero underwear, a map of Bulgaria (even though you're not going there but it was in the glove box so you packed it just in case), shoes, and all the clothing you'll need...

What is that little item that you take that has proven useful that you'd wished you'd thought of taking with you when you were new to cruising?

I've heard some people mention they must have magnets... is there any other cruise hacks you can share?

Thanks,

Leane

Sent from a mobile device... yep, I could be anywhere right now!

Thermal coffee mugs w/lids for bringing coffee back to cabin .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ah... now that's cunning.

Only what YOU need. Pack as you would for ANY vacation to the same climate. You really don't need hooks on the wall, or over the door stuff, or duct tape or.....fill in the blank. If you don't use it at home or on any vacation, you don't need it on a ship.

We always travel with in-laws. The do not take magnets. We do. They do not take duct tape. We do. Reason: metal walls hold the daily papers, invitations, excursion tickets, etc. that my SIL (sister in law) throws on a table and then loses......

Thought duct tape was stupid till a suitcase split open on debarkation. Taxi had to stop at a store to buy duct tape!

I bring every over the counter meds I can--after spending hours with my BIL searching for cough drops.

If it fits in the suitcase, I see no reason to leave these thing behind!

The best item I have brought for a cruise is an over the door shoe organizer. The clear one. We hung it on the door in our tiny bathroom. Awesome for everything. Sunscreen, sunglasses, medication, make-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We always travel with in-laws. The do not take magnets. We do. They do not take duct tape. We do. Reason: metal walls hold the daily papers, invitations, excursion tickets, etc. that my SIL (sister in law) throws on a table and then loses......

Thought duct tape was stupid till a suitcase split open on debarkation. Taxi had to stop at a store to buy duct tape!

I bring every over the counter meds I can--after spending hours with my BIL searching for cough drops.

If it fits in the suitcase, I see no reason to leave these thing behind!

Far far far better than duct tape is gaffer tape (no residue on removal). And no need to bring it. Just ask someone in the entertainment crew to "loan"

you 2 or 3 feet if you need to make a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cough suppressant as a pill (Mucinex makes it) and coricidin. Spent too long looking for a pharmacy in Cabo!

Eventually I put together a rollup medicine chest that goes on every cruise -- and for those who say, just pack what you would on any vacation -- we now take it on land-based trips too. In a larger toiletry case like the attached, only all of the pockets zip. The lower pocket is deep enough to hold dollar store tylenol/ibuprofen/benedryl, the coricidin and mucinex, and a smallish ace bandage rolled up, with a roll of paper tape on top of it.

I don't use everything all the time, but I use SOMETHING on every trip! It does take as much room in our carry-on-only packing, but it is worth it (we only take one pair of shoes not on our feet anyway).61U37PmcLML._SX522_.jpg

I'd be willing to bet that 99 out of 100 first-time cruisers over pack and bring stuff they really don't need and never use. I know we did. Figuring out what you personally need and don't need for your cruise is a learning process. In addition to the obvious things (travel docs., clothes, etc.), we pack a small travel first-aid kit. Nice to know you've got a Band-Aid and some Neosporin if you need it. Guest Services may or may not have something available. Along with any prescription meds we might need, we also bring a small bottle of aspirin and/or ibuprofen. Non-prescription meds on the ship are kind of pricey. We also bring our 16 oz. Tervis tumblers, good for both cold or hot beverages (the cups on the ship in the buffet area just aren't quite big enough). There are numerous threads posted here on CC, as well as several web sites on Google with lists of suggested items to bring. A good portion of those items are "what if" or "just in case" things. Don't try to plan for every possible scenario. Your credit card will be far more useful (and easier to pack) than those 47 pairs of argyle socks that will probably never leave your cabin.

We like the colored ones, the light is softer. :)

I have an entire box of battery tea lights (20) I bought at Christmas time, and am desperately hoping they last until next Christmas. Now I can use them in the mean time as we have a hotel stay booked for our anniversary this summer. :D

Small first aid kit is a must for us, it's so nice to have cold medication or ibuprofen on hand rather than trying to purchase it on a ship or port.

For night lights I like these motion sensitive, battery operated ones. I bought them for my interior bathroom at home (no outlets) and it's just the right amount of light when I go into the bathroom: https://www.amazon.com/Cordless-Battery-Powered-Stick-anywhere-Hallway-Bathroom/dp/B00T1O1DXY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497973024&sr=8-5&keywords=battery+night+light

In 10 cruises I've never used magnets, etc. I've honestly just stored all the papers in the night stand drawer and been fine. I don't like clutter on my walls, but that's just a personal preference.

I will say, I never feel like I have enough hooks when traveling, especially when traveling with my kids. Between towels and bathing suits there just aren't enough places to hang wet things. For hotels I've started traveling with some over the door hooks, but need to evaluated what I can do in a cruise cabin.

Finally, I pack roll up soft-sided tote bags to use as laundry bags. I hang one from a hanger in the closet and as I finish with items they go into the tote bags. When I'm ready to pack, I just tuck my tote bags into my luggage and DONE!

A question to all you experienced cruisers out there...

What one thing do you always ensure you pack?

You've got your documents, tickets, passport, camera, sun cream, night cream, stuffed toy, valium, clown-repellant, superhero underwear, a map of Bulgaria (even though you're not going there but it was in the glove box so you packed it just in case), shoes, and all the clothing you'll need...

What is that little item that you take that has proven useful that you'd wished you'd thought of taking with you when you were new to cruising?

I've heard some people mention they must have magnets... is there any other cruise hacks you can share?

Thanks,

Leane

Don't forget a power strip. Cannot have a surge protector. Just a normal strip. There is only 1 placewith two plugs in the whole cabin.

The best item I have brought for a cruise is an over the door shoe organizer. The clear one. We hung it on the door in our tiny bathroom. Awesome for everything. Sunscreen, sunglasses, medication, make-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now they are asking you to not hang it on the door. Apperently damages the upper molding. But to hang I in the closet.

I personally would just hang it on a heavy duty magnet